Feeds

back to article ARM servers to gain boost from ARM, Oracle Java partnership

ARM Holdings on Monday announced that it has entered into a multi-year partnership with Oracle to optimize the Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE) for the ARM processor architecture, including 64-bit ARMv8 designs. ARM chips have long dominated the mobile computing biz, but this new effort will focus mainly on improving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Look away!

Don't look directly at it. Stay away from the darkness! Come back into the light! ARM, can you hear me? Grab this rope and hang on!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Look away!

"Java increasingly powers all kinds of other devices "

I really hope that insecure pile of shite is not increasing in usage in anyway. I find it unlikely.

Devil

Hope ARM used

experienced lawyers............

Anonymous Coward

Can someone just kill Java please?

kill java?

like no one uses android or hadoop or tomcat anyway

Silver badge
Meh

Oh good

I've always wanted a version of the Ask Toolbar for ARM platforms.

Anonymous Coward

It is perverse ...

... that Java is seen as a good thing, especially on a platform priding itself on being lean and power-efficient.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It is perverse ...

I guess all the down votes must be from Java Devs, hoping that Oracle's dying Boat Anchor business has found a new opportunity by infecting systems based on Arm with Java.

It's an attempt to cripple the competition with crap technology. They will be so busy patching security holes, they wont have time to develop anything new....

Silver badge
Meh

Re: It is perverse ...

Java isn't that bad, bugs and Oracle bug galore nonwithstanding. It's much better than getting yourself locked down with .NET! That said, hardware acceleration for Java has existed previously with Jazelle and the later thing that isn't Java-specific on ARM, so it isn't like its something new.

Interestingly, the Java slammers are AC. Why so shy?

Silver badge

Oracle has to be there

It would be a bit embarrassing to have Dalvik on all those ARM systems, wouldn't it?

Re: Oracle has to be there

More likely OpenJDK than Dalvik.

Er... aren't most/all android apps written in Java? From that it seems to follow that this is a useful move for tablet & phone development.

I can't avoid the suspicion the press release: "ARM, ORACLE JAVA PARTNERSHIP" might not connect to a very inspiring reality: "INTERN TOLD TO TRY AND BRUSH UP JVM PERFORMANCE FOR NEXT RELEASE OF CHIP"

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Jazelle

ARM has had the jazelle Java byte code accelerator for years, it's not surprising they want to continue to develop it, and working with the developer of Java kind of makes sense for that.

Re: Jazelle

Jazelle was deprecated after ARMv5, on which it was optional. ARMv5 is so old that the latest ARM Fedora dropped support for it. IIRC the "replacement" for it the ThumbEE instruction set which is completely generic, not in any way Java specific, and targetted at compiled code (applicable to Java only in JIT context).

This topic is closed for new posts.