back to article Apple flushes poker apps after prod from Australia

In 2001 Australia passed the Interactive Gambling Act 2001, a law the then-conservative government created in a “won't somebody think of the children” knee-jerk reaction to worries about the possible effects of the early-ish internet. The law banned online gambling services in Australia and, in what was seen at the time as a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Velv

"Vulture South can confirm PokerStars remains on sale in the US app store, confirmation – if any was needed – that Australia's laws only reach so far."

I'm surprised it was "on sale" in the US App Store, the Merkin DoJ isn't renowned for their love of online gambling either and have tried to kill PokerStars website and thick client previously.

1. Euripides Pants
      Gimp

"he Merkin DoJ isn't renowned for their love of online gambling"

When our government tries to outlaw that sort of thing Apple simply reminds them who they work for...

2. ceebee

haha...

The anti online gambling laws are not about protecting children.

They are about protecting the vast and massive vested interests that control gambling in OZ and the US (and the tax and party donation stream they generate!)

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: haha...

"They are about protecting the vast and massive vested interests that control gambling in OZ and the US (and the tax and party donation stream they generate!"

I don't see how preventing anyone from operating an online gambling site in Australia, thus driving all this business offshore, would in any way "protect" these vested interests. I am inclined to agree with the article that it was a knee-jerk reaction.

1. Tom 35

Re: haha...

They were hitting off shore with this app kill. Much like the US when they took the domains of poker sites, or grabbed people passing through the US who ran off shore poker sites. Expect any filter system they push through to protect people from gambling sites too.

If they can make off shore sites a bit harder to access, then they hope at least some of the money will end up being lost at local scams instead of going to over seas scams.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like