back to article 6Gbps is for FOOLS! Now THIS is what we call a SAS adapter - LSI

LSI has begun shipping its first 12Gbps SAS adapters for storage arrays, servers and workstations, doubling the prevailing 6Gbps SAS data rate. LSI's SAS 9300 HBA (Host Bus Adapter) runs at 12Gbit/sec, delivers over 1 million IOPS through a PCIe 3.0 connection to hosts, and comes in four versions: 9300-8e with 8 ports 9300- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tomato42
    Trollface

$245 dollars? That's surprisingly reasonable.

You sure you haven't made a typo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The price noted is accurate. Here are the MSRPs:

SAS 9300-8e (single): $450;

SAS 9300-8i (single/kit): $350/$430;

SAS 9300-4i4e (single/kit): $350/$430;

SAS 9300-4i (single/kit): $245/$335.

If you want to verify this (it was in the press release), contact:

David Szabados

LSI Corporation

408-433-7848

david.szabados@lsi.com

1. Bronek Kozicki

These are "only" HBA, i.e. no hardware RAID

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Yep, these seem to be shipped with IT firmware by default. No downloads for IR firmware as yet. Something to keep in mind.

3. danbi

Re: These are "only" HBA, i.e. no hardware RAID

And this is the BEST news.

2. Tezfair

cheap, but everything around it to utilise the speed is where the costs mount up.

3. Frank Rysanek

Revamping metallic SAS one more time

Amazing. Technological development is still blazing past. I haven't been watching the news for some time - and suddenly 12Gb SAS is here. Makes me wonder if 12Gb SAS is going to be the last SAS version running on metallic interconnects (just like U320 was the last parallel SCSI generation).

12Gb SAS sure is a desperately needed update to the disk drive interconnect - otherwise the SSD's would all migrate to direct PCI-e attachment (and the whole SAS market would vanish in a couple of years). Support for 12 Gb from LSI is important in that LSI is a key traditional SAS chipset supplier - for HBA's/initiators and targets (RAID controllers and disk drives), also providing SAS expanders and switches. But speaking of SAS chipset makers, Marvell and PMC Sierra (ex-Avago/ex-Agilent) have also announced 12Gb products.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like