back to article Explicit shots: China's gorgeous flop-tastic Tianhe-2 supercomputer

Some of the feeds and speeds of the Chinese government's Tianhe-2 massively parallel ceepie-phibie supercomputer leaked out in May and then even more came out a week later ahead of the planned big splash at the International Super Computing shindig in Leipzig, Germany. But El Reg has some juicy pics of some of the key components …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

my guess...

...is that its a passive backplane with a couple of specialized (ha ha) boards linking them together.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

I wonder whether the performance stats and benchmarks on the Xeon Phi are a bit dodgy, too, like those mobile x86-vs-ARM stats of recently?

Anybody asked the important question yet?

Will it Blend??

Silver badge

I want to see...

... more flashing lights...

or it's not a real supercomputer!

Terminator

How long after switch on before it becomes sentient?

Or alternatively as I have watched the Colossus: The Forbin Project; will it "have a chat" with the Sinclair ZX Spectrum that I have in my loft that I have long thought had aspirations of world domination.

Anonymous Coward

ORAC

Is it me, or does that chassis look like a relative of ORAC?

Wonder if Avon is consulting on the project.

OK, so I'm a brit sci-fi nerd. Saw the picture and had a nerdgasm!

Silver badge

Re: ORAC

Given the preponderence of wobbly sets on Blake's Seven, a rather too-well put-together relative of ORAC!

Silver badge
Mushroom

What's the Mandarin for ...

... let's play Global Thermonuclear War?

But..

...will it run Crysis ?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: But..

A story about supercomputers goes live around 10am, and the first 'Will it run Crysis?' comment is not til 19.37?

What is the Reg coming to? 9 hours for a Crysis moment?

I despair of commentards' tardiness on the traditional Crysis comment!

Silver badge

This is the cutting edge of HPC technology today

What's even more amazing, is that our grandchildren will one day see such components preserved in a museum, and will look upon them as wonderful achievements of an age of unbelievably primitive technology aeons away from what they will be using and dealing with, in a very different world.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums