back to article Kick the tyres on UK's swap-shop for cat pics and other copyright stuff

A new online platform to help facilitate the licensing of copyrighted works in the UK is now being piloted. The Copyright Hub centralises information on who individuals and businesses need to contact and gain permission from to "copy, adapt, share or distribute" music, text, images, video or other multimedia that is protected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have always been fiercely against these licenses as if it was not for the DJ's, radio stations etc promoting the artists they would not have a business in the first place. Also requiring people to pay for licences for listening to the radio in a work place is frankly taking the piss.

1. El Presidente
      Facepalm

" if it was not for the DJ's, radio stations etc promoting the artists they would not have a business in the first place"

Twisted logic, right there. If it were not for the artists, what would the DJs play?

1. Miek
        Linux

If it were not for the makers of Musical Instruments; what would the musicians play on?

2. Pen-y-gors

Not sure about 'promotion'

Most of the online radio stations I listen to don't have DJs and don't 'promote' the music, other than a label popping up to say what the track is called and who it's by. You may have more of a point if it was a local radio station that had an announcer who preceded and followed a track with a plug for "And here's a new track by xxx from their album yyy available at all good music shops, and don't forget they're appearing live at zzz on Saturday night, tickets available from wherever' - then I agree they shouldn't have to pay a licence fee to play it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not sure about 'promotion'

Most people buy music from (insert your store / app store here) when they have heard the track. Every time a song is played on air that is promoting it.

In the beginning, the music labels had to beg radio stations to play tracks and now they charge for it. This is like me charging you every time you walk past my theoretical car showroom just because you saw my intellectual property.

2. frank ly

The greatest invention ever

" ... and advertising revenues.."

Is there anything that can't be financed by advertising? It's marvellous.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: The greatest invention ever

Strangely enough, the government don't seem keen to pay for the defence budget with adverts...

("If you have enjoyed being killed by this drone you may also be interested in...")

1. Squander Two
        Devil

Re: The greatest invention ever

Arguably, most defence spending is advertising.

3. Hayden Clark Silver badge
    FAIL

... and so the stitch-up of the little guys begins.

So, in order to register your stuff on the copyright hub, you need to cough a membership fee. Which will be negligable for Big Content, but totally discourage you and I from registering our cat pictures, bedroom studio ditties, web page themes and such.

So the big guys will still get to use images we take, and just bung (c)Internet on it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like