UK premium rate regulator PhonepayPlus has launched an investigation into five mobile phone subscription services after it said that evidence had emerged that each had been marketed though ransomware-style browser lock-in tactics. Bafona Ltd’s Zovut subscription service, which costs £4.50 per week, is billed as a chance to …
Why do people keep describing these kind of things as a service?
Service to who?
It is service to you, in the same way a bull services a cow.
It is a service to the service owners bank account. It gets filled regularly.
I hate these texts offering you some form of 'service' (eg, PPI claims) you get where it costs YOU money to stop them coming. Anything that can be done to strangle them at birth, all the better as far as I'm concerned.
To all of them. -->
who came up with the name
phonepayplus? its terrible. they sound like one of the companies they are ment to regulate. why arnt they called somthing easy like the premium rate regulator?
Re: who came up with the name
Well, it's easier to remember than their previous name - or the acronym it formed, which sounded like some kind of skin condition.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan