back to article Windows 8 apps pass 100K, Windows 8 passes Vista

Microsoft has received two pieces of good news concerning its not-exactly-barn-burning Windows 8: there are now over 100,000 apps in the Windows 8 app store, and the installed base of Windows 8 has passed that of the late and unlamented Windows Vista. What's more, that 100,000-app milestore was reached in just eight months – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I can see Ballmer now...

"I told you getting rid of TechNet was a good idea.. Only one day after we decided to whack it and Windows 8 sales are already surpassing Vista!".

The sad part? Although this is meant as a joke I'm somewhat serious here. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if some beancounters actually draw these kind of conclusions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see Ballmer now...

I don't think it is the employees of Microsoft generating the absurd statements but Ballmer telling that what to say. I wouldn't surprise me to see Ballmer make that leap though.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A hundred thousand beer and fart apps. Super!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

100,000 apps

23 downloads.

4. Mark .

Whilst surpassing Vista might seem a joke statement given that Vista was viewed as being doomed, the point is the timeframe - Vista was around for over 2.5 years, compared to barely 8 months for Windows 8. Whilst Windows 7 may be a lot higher, that was around for 3 years. (And reports have suggested that Windows 8's uptake rate is on par with Windows 7 - and that was with 7 following on from Vista, which you'd think people were keen to upgrade from or skip over from XP; 8 has no such "advantage".)

OS X may be doing better, but that's every version of OS X compared to 8 months of Windows 8. The most recent version, 10.8, has only 3.14% share, despite released almost a year ago.

In some sense, this really shouldn't be surprising. Given we already know that Windows is the 90% dominant OS, you'd expect there to be lots of software for it, even for just the Windows 8 only stuff. And you'd expect it to do well.

But that's not what people claimed. People, the media, insisted Windows 8 would be a flop. It would be a failure - not just in relative terms, but absolute terms. PCs were dead, they said. Ipads and Chromebooks were the future. Even after the initial sales reports appeared, they still insisted it was a flop. "Those are just licences sold, doesn't mean people are using it" they claimed.

Now we have stats based on usage rather than licences sold, and I bet people will still stick their head in the sand and claim it was a flop. And when Apple next release a product that takes 76 days to sell a million, it'll be hailed as a runaway success...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
        Thumb Down

@Mark .

Now we have stats based on usage rather than licences sold, and I bet people will still stick their head in the sand and claim it was a flop.

It is a failure - the resellers and manufacturers have been saying this since launch.

Comparisons with the much unloved Vista are appropriate. Check the stats for the uptake of Windows 7 in the same time frame.

1. Mark .

"It is a failure - the resellers and manufacturers have been saying this since launch."

That demonstrates my point perfectly - we have claims of it being a failure, based on hand-picked quotes (e.g., from one who was advertising their new Chromebooks), but the actual hard evidence time and time again suggests this is not the case.

"Comparisons with the much unloved Vista are appropriate. Check the stats for the uptake of Windows 7 in the same time frame."

Do you have a source? And are you arguing "It's not as successful as 7" or "It's a failure"? I can hear the back-pedalling already.

5. BillG
      WTF?

You mean like Google bragging Google Wallet signups increased 800% by automatically associating your mobile account with Google Wallet when you buy anything from Google Play?

2. Antony Evans

Can I bee the first to say.....

I hate windows 8.

None of the 100,000 appp in the store are what anybody wants.

Windows 8 will not be coming near my machine until they bring back the start menu, not just the start button.

Windows 8 is confusing and I just want it to boot to the desktop.

All of the tablets that are windows 8 tablets have shitty resolutions.

Hey Windows 8 the year 2000 called ad it wants it kernel back

Buy a linux PC cos they are sooooo much better and they just work.

I've been in the IT business for 2,000,000 yea...................

Oh, who gives a schitt.

1. Stacy

Re: Can I bee the first to say.....

Given the pointless rant you just wrote... You?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

I suspect that this post was not an honest expression of its author's own views on the subject. It is a neat summary of the comment thread of every Windows8 article, though...

1. Antony Evans
          Thumb Up

Spot on.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Facepalm

Re: Stacy Re: Can I bee the first to say.....

Evidently some readers still require sarc tags to avoid embarrassing themselves.....

2. Mark Allread

So much ignorance in your post.

3. Tim Bates
      Joke

Holy crap... Eadon now posts with a real name.

3. Tom 35

Fart RT

Out of curiosity I fired up the Surface.

Fart returns 38 apps, most with zero ratings, a few cost money like Metro Fart for $1.99

Some of the apps don't seem to fit the fart theme like Stanley Level, Math Plotter, and a Photo Shop book. Drops the total down to 26.

They must use Bing search tech, maybe there is a fantastic fart app that would make the Surface totally worth owning, but search can't find it.

Angry Birds Space $4.99 has 86 reviews, they don't tell you the number of downloads. Android $3.00 is 15.613 reviews and 500,000+ downloads.

1. Ragarath
      Joke

Re: Fart RT

Android $3.00 is 15.613 reviews and 500,000+ downloads.

Come on, own up! Who was the person that gave .613 of a review? Typing is hard but come on a fraction of a review is just lazy!

4. Captain DaFt

Wow... Just... wow

So Win 8 beats Vista now. Any word on how many of those sales are actually Win 7 machines with shiny Win 8 discs included in the box?

Of course, it still looks rosey for MS. Forcing the box shifters to pay for both OSs to sell a machine just means that MS gets two checks per machine, way to double-dip, guys!

1. Tom 35

Re: Wow... Just... wow

No it's from webserver logs so actual in use computers. And it's not the number of Vista computers sold, it's the number still in use (Vista computers that have not been upgraded (to 7 or XP), or replaced (or Coked in my sisters case)).

2. Belardi

No, just as Tom35 has states. Now, what Microsoft said about 2 months ago is that they SHIPED/SOLD Win8 licences as fast as Windows7... which of course means nothing as that is sales to OEM. Who have paid for Win8 but not sold or shipped Win8 computers.... so Microsoft is playing with the numbers.

Lets say you buy a notebook like the ThinkPad with Windows7 Pro. It still counts as a Win8 sales that has been "downgraded" to windows 7.

1. Mark Allread

Yeah, but you're comparing it to Windows7 figures that were calculated in exactly the same way. So those Win7 sale figures also included unsold PCs etc..

5. foxyshadis

Hate Win8? Get Classic Shell.

Given that Classic Shell takes 30 seconds to install, I don't understand why everyone is so intent on moaning about the new start screen. Big whoop, alternatives are available, avail yourselves of them while you avail yourselves of Win8's otherwise complete superiority over Win7. Some people just want to attention whore and look cool, I guess.

1. Belardi

Re: Hate Win8? Get Classic Shell.

Er.... no. its a lot more than just the Start Menu. The whole UI is shit.

Why pay for Win8 when it does nothing over Win7 other than have the Microsoft Store and a butt-ugly UI design?

1. dogged
        Stop

Except that it does.

Trust me, built-in Hyper-V beats "XP Mode" every time.

1. Dr Insanity
          Windows

Surely if the selling point for Win8 is that it replicates XP better with Hyper-V than Win7 with XP mode, then surely the answer is to use Windows XP - I've heard it emulates XP better than both, most of the time at least...

1. dogged

Well, one downside of running an XP box is that you can only run an XP box. Hyper-V will jut as happily run any OS you care to load it up with.

It's brilliant with a Technet subscription because you can test anything and everything is available.

For now. Some fuckbag in accounts at MS has killed that plan, sadly. But at least they're offering the freebie trials.

2. Tom 35

built-in Hyper-V beats "XP Mode" every time.

Except that it requires an "i" processor. My Core 2 Quad is not supported.

So I would say XP Mode that works beats Hyper-V that will not even run.

So you can change that to built-in Hyper-V beats "XP Mode" if you have a new computer.

2. Mark Allread

Chap, there are loads of aspects of Windows 8 that are better than Windows 7. Seriously, the state of the ignorant haters in here...

3. Mark .

Honest question - what is shit about the "whole UI"? Given that programs work just the same way as before? Yes there's the new UI for "Windows store apps", but if you don't like them, don't use them.

"Why pay for Win8 when it does nothing over Win7 other than have the Microsoft Store and a butt-ugly UI design?"

It has plenty more. Sure, it might not be worth upgrading, but that's true with every new OS that comes out. I didn't see the point in upgrading from 2000 to XP. Many people were happy with XP and didn't upgrade to Vista or 7. But I don't see those people foaming at the mouth to tell people how their more up to date version is awful.

6. Steven Roper

So Windows 8 has passed Vista? That's about as noteworthy as the moment when XP passed Windows Me.

Wake me when it passes Windows 7. Although I'd say by then I'll be running Mint on the desktop and Firefox OS on my mobile devices, so it won't matter to me anyway.

1. dogged

ChromeOS

We hear how everyone is buying Chromebooks and ditching Windows all the time on the Reg, mainly from commentards.

How much of a percentage of "other" is ChromeOS? 0.1%? 0.2% maybe?

1. dogged
        Trollface

Re: ChromeOS

Oh dear.

Looks like ChromeOS is not getting widespread support and has therefore failed and is useless and should be junked.

No? But those are the arguments which are used for Windows Phone, aren't they?

I wonder if the downvotes all came from ChromeOS users. If so, either Larry or Sergey has more than one Reg account, it seems.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: ChromeOS

Ov course we have multiple accounts here! Fool who do you think kept upvoting Eadon?

2. Mark Allread

LOL! You have fun with your Firefox mobile won't you..

7. graeme leggett Silver badge

Its at times like this

I almost miss Eadon for his insightful rants.

Though when I say almost, I mean "not at all"

on a more serious note, does anyone know what Vista peaked at in terms of percentage or number of installed systems?

Disturbingly, the trend for "other" is down on their latest data 5.6% from 6.9% a year ago.

Though MacOS is rising by about the same so it implies transfer between windows versions within the shrinking (so I belive) overall desktop market rather than a displacement of Windows by the alternatives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its at times like this@Graeme Leggett

"I almost miss Eadon for his insightful rants."

Well, the user currently known as Belardi seems to have a single issue fixation of Windows Hate, to have similarly troubled grammar, and a need to use capitals in rather too many of his posts.

Just sayin....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its at times like this

I don't miss him. I enjoyed the passion he held for his subject, but I hated the vastly over inflated sense of his own knowledge and the utter lack of being able to debate, rather just shouting his opinion over and over again. I also hated the way he personally abused people when he didn't get his way and the way that any article which he didn't agree with resulted in accusing the author of corruption, shilling or taking back handers. I believe the latter is what did for him in the end.

In short, I don't think he was a very nice person and I don't ever want to meet him in real life.

1. Teleporter
        Thumb Up

No need to worry about meeting him in real life, the likelihood of him leaving his mum's basement for anything other than milk and cookies is extremely low.

1. Busby
          Thumb Up

Upvote as I would like to think the same. However I think they probably already have multiple accounts/personalities here. Would be amazed if they are not receiving payment from someone to do this and doing the same to many places other than el reg.

8. RISC OS

Do we really want people who make sites like these...

...filling up the windows app store with apps?

http://www.lingscars.com/

http://i1.wp.com/www.globalwebfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/4th-worst-website-of-2013.png

http://i2.wp.com/www.globalwebfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/6th-worst-website-of-2013.jpg

http://i1.wp.com/www.globalwebfx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/8th-worst-website-of-2013.jpg

1. Danny 14
      Alert

Re: Do we really want people who make sites like these...

Ive learnt the hard way that (short of dementia) once you see something you cannot un-see it. Im not clicking on those links.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

(a) Nothing wrong with Ling; her website is legendary. It's like that for a reason.

(b) One thing I'm happy about is that Microsoft decided to force its corporate font across all its sites and those of its 'experts'. All I have to do now is go to a website, see the typeface, and go away again. Much like when those Prussian blue borders appear on my TV, I know it's an IBM ad and can immediately change channels, fast forward or go make a cup of tea.

2. StanBumps
      Thumb Up

@RISC OS - thanks for that. The 'lings cars' website has made my day. Great chuckle.

9. Mystic Megabyte

Why bother?

As is usual for Windows you have to buy stuff to make it usable. i.e. Classic Shell

I have not seen Win 8 but judging by Win7 the file manager is rubbish. Even with XP, I could not bear to use it without Total Commander.

Try opening a DVD .iso file in Win 7 "Media Player" and get an "unknown file type". WTF!

Since switching to Linux I don't have to buy any software that makes the OS actually usable.

I cannot understand why you would want to pay for an OS that is missing things that I take for granted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why bother?

"I cannot understand why you would want to pay for an OS that is missing things that I take for granted."

Because we have to use software other than the OS to earn our daily crust. Some of that software, in my case Adobe Photoshop for one, does not have an open source equivalent. Please don't start the "but there's The Gimp" argument. I have the Gimp for Windows installed as well and the true fact is that it is not a straight replacement.

Plus there are probably as many, if not more, free "things" available for Windows as there are for Linux. All the "flagship" open source programs for a start. Plus Classic Shell is in fact free.

2. Mark Allread

* The "file manager" in Windows 8 is much improved over Windows 7

* If you double click an .ISO in Windows 8, it gets mounted as a new virtual drive.

Y'see, ignorance about Windows 8 is rife.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

* If you double click an .ISO in Windows 8, it gets mounted as a new virtual drive.

...and then fails to do anything useful - like PLAY the damn thing - because they removed the DVD player.

2. Tim Bates

@Mark Allread Re: Why bother?

"* The "file manager" in Windows 8 is much improved over Windows 7"

In what way? I was trying out 8.1 last night* and the ribbonisation of Explorer alone was enough to remind me never to put 8 on my main PC. I was ready to just switch the laptop off and abandon it without having even figured out how to boot straight to the desktop (which I also found was in a really stupid location).

* Trying 8.1 required me to dig out an old HDD to shove into my spare laptop... I tried simply installing to the same KVM instance I already had 8.0 running on, but the ISO black screened (0x0a). Fiddled with the settings there, still kept failing. Moved to my desktop PC and VMWare Player. Same result.

It's almost as if MS don't want anyone to try their stuff anymore.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mystic Megabyte: By "As usual for Windows you have to buy stuff to make it usable", I presume you mean "download stuff, for free, to slightly alter how it works". I've never bought anything for Windows to change how it works, apart from an IP stack for Win 3.11, I've always downloaded legitimately free software. As releases go on, I find that I need to do that less and less. Sure, stopping native support of DVDs is probably a retrograde step, but it does contribute to the OS costing less and VLC does the job just fine. Also it appears that some people aren't too keen on the start screen replacing the start menu (!) but I believe there are free alternatives.

My use of Linux is similar - many of the distros that I use don't support MP3 and similar patent encumbered systems by default, so I have to download it, it's not a big deal. I have to download (or yum/apt-get) many packages which aren't installed by default, but I wouldn't consider this "having to download stuff to make it usable" just normal OS tweaking.

4. mmeier

@Mystic Megabyte

Aside from the fact that the few things I need (Media Player) are available for free, the "free" OS simply does not do what I want! No Dragon Natural (or equivalent), no OneNote/Journal/Artrage, most games do not run...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like