The Register is pleased to reveal that Google has heard of radio-astronomy, and will work with astronomers to avoid flashing its broadband balloon radios in their sky-eyes. Project Loon is an ambitious plan to attach 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio sets to meteorological-style balloons, lifting the transceivers above air traffic lanes …
ad giant's engineers are “slightly horrified by the possibility that we might be disrupting Google's brand and image”.
there, fixed that one
... but only slightly.
Brought to you by a bunch of Loons.
To Richard Chirgwin, for working in the link to the Smithsonian article. I just spent a very fruitful 25 mins on the intertubes.
That's nawt a loon, THIS is a loon. http://www.usscusk.com/loon.htm
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google chief Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Adobe spies on readers: EVERY DRM page turn leaked to base over SSL