The Register is pleased to reveal that Google has heard of radio-astronomy, and will work with astronomers to avoid flashing its broadband balloon radios in their sky-eyes. Project Loon is an ambitious plan to attach 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio sets to meteorological-style balloons, lifting the transceivers above air traffic lanes …
ad giant's engineers are “slightly horrified by the possibility that we might be disrupting Google's brand and image”.
there, fixed that one
... but only slightly.
Brought to you by a bunch of Loons.
To Richard Chirgwin, for working in the link to the Smithsonian article. I just spent a very fruitful 25 mins on the intertubes.
That's nawt a loon, THIS is a loon. http://www.usscusk.com/loon.htm
- iPad? More like iFAD: We reveal why Apple ran off to IBM
- +Analysis Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
- Climate: 'An excuse for tax hikes', scientists 'don't know what they're talking about'
- Analysis Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – PCs, slabs and mobes
- Yorkshire cops fail to grasp principle behind BT Fon Wi-Fi network