Sure, hyperscale data center operators may cope with hellacious big data problems as they spy on everything we do on the intertubes, but what about the poor men and women who have to drink from the data firehose that CERN's Large Hadron Collider spews as it works to rip apart the fabric of space and time? Well, thankfully, they' …
The LHC produces 1PB/s of raw collision data - that's what's reduced to 25PB/year. They can do that because most of the collisions are well-know events and therefore uninteresting, so they are discarded immediately.
- Mounties always get their man: Heartbleed 'hacker', 19, CUFFED
- Batten down the hatches, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due in TWO DAYS
- Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
- Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
- AMD demos 'Berlin' Opteron, world's first heterogeneous system architecture server chip