Sure, hyperscale data center operators may cope with hellacious big data problems as they spy on everything we do on the intertubes, but what about the poor men and women who have to drink from the data firehose that CERN's Large Hadron Collider spews as it works to rip apart the fabric of space and time? Well, thankfully, they' …
The LHC produces 1PB/s of raw collision data - that's what's reduced to 25PB/year. They can do that because most of the collisions are well-know events and therefore uninteresting, so they are discarded immediately.
- Product round-up Too 4K-ing expensive? Five full HD laptops for work and play
- Review We have a winner! Fresh Linux Mint 17.1 – hands down the best
- Vid Antarctic ice THICKER than first feared – penguin-bot boffins
- 'Regin': The 'New Stuxnet' spook-grade SOFTWARE WEAPON described
- You stupid BRICK! PCs running Avast AV can't handle Windows fixes