Feeds

back to article Schwarzenegger says 'I'll be back' for Terminator 5 reboot

Paramount has confirmed it will reboot the Terminator franchise with a fifth film, and the former California governor and Mr. Universe bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger says he will be back in a starring role. "The studios want me to be in Terminator 5 and to star as the Terminator, which we start shooting in January," he told a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Joke

I'll be back

For more money.

Silver badge

Re: I'll be back

For my Zimmer frame.............

Bronze badge

There must be some mistake

You used the joke icon.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll be back

Where was I going?

Meh

"More money..."

Maybe he should give some of the money back to California?

Re: "More money..."

Hell no! Money would be better spent on the most destructive scene in Terminator 5!!

Ref: http://dailyhaggis.com/2003/06/17/arnold-pays-for-t3-stunt/

Daily Haggis is THE trustworthy reference if ever there was one!

Pint

While time + gravity give no quarter

I'm kinda surprised the Governator/ Gropinator's outsized ego would let him, um, look like he used to be a world-class body builder (instead of prod him to continue to look like one). If I look half as good at his age, hallelujah, but I expected more from Ah-nold.

<-- why I pro'ly won't look half as good at his age. :)

Terminator

Re: While time + gravity give no quarter

Looks like he was a T-1000 all along... the temp was just a bit too high that day.

Anonymous Coward

Re: While time + gravity give no quarter

I'm kinda surprised the Governator/ Gropinator's outsized ego would let him, um, look like he used to be a world-class body builder (instead of prod him to continue to look like one)

He's got the same problem I have - the muscles are still all there, they just have moved downwards :)

Anonymous Coward

Hollywood sucks

They have made a Batman and Spiderman film every year for the last 10 years.

They can't come up with an original plot and they can't come up with a modern business plan that doesn't criminalise their customers.

Beyond not bothering with this, i will download the torrent and not even watch that!!! Hopefully it will flop, but sadly i think there are too many people who are going to be pleased about this movie.

Silver badge

Re: Hollywood sucks

Friends in the industry claim it's due to the death of DVD.

To approve funding on a film you need guaranteed money upfront. DVD sales with a 50% (to the studio) margin were enough to cover the cost, cinema audience with 5% profit are really just advertising.

With no DVD on the spreadsheet the only upfront money is foreign sales. So Hollywood is green-lighting pictures on what they know will sell to Australian TV or S.E Asian theatres - which means familiar titles/franchises/stars

Thumb Down

You friends telling lies. Hollywood spread lies.

DVD/Blu-Ray disc sales are sky high nowadays. Pirated copies on the 'net are not a large percentage as they want people to believe.

Amazon, Zavvi and all other distributors keep selling hundreds of millions of DVD and Blu-Ray discs each year.

Silver badge

You friends telling lies 2 - the prequel.

It's not like that just started doing rehash after rehash. Long before DVD was popular...

Rocky 5 came out in 1995,

Rambo III (1988)

Jaws 4: The Revenge (1987)

Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment (1985)

Even way back, Chuck Jones said that they were always dealing with the money men telling them "that was great, make another one just like it". The Road Runner was the end result.

Trollface

"They have made a Batman and Spiderman film every year for the last 10 years."

Really?

Damn that means I missed the 2003,2004,2006,2007,2009,2010 & 2011 Batman films.

Looks like imdb missed them as well

Def
Bronze badge
Go

Reboots

Personally I quite enjoyed the reboots of Batman by Mr Nolan. I thought the darker undertones worked really well, and they were sufficiently far from the Kazam, Smash, Wallop of the old TV shows that I didn't once feel I was watching "yet another remake".

While I am waiting with anticipation for the new Star Wars movie, I suspect I will be disappointed simply because the Star Wars movies are effectively kids movies - always have been, always will be.

What I *would* like to see is have the aforementioned Mr Nolan reboot the whole Star Wars story for adults by making the Star Wars universe dark and grimy. Get rid of the muppets, and bring in the corruption, betrayal, and back stabbing you would really find during a revolution.

Mushroom

Dialogue

"I need your cardigan, your slippers and your mobility scooter".

I do like Arnie though, he's a top bloke. The Terminator franchise too. Maybe it'll be all right?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Dialogue

PS. was he any good as a governor.

Silver badge
Terminator

Re: Dialogue

I dunno, we're even rebooting comments now? (the very first and most popular one).

Says it all really I guess...

Trollface

Like there never was a matrix 2 and 3

For me, the Terminator series includes only T1 and T2. Likewise, Star Wars thankfully never saw any sequel after the first trilogy.

Thumb Up

Re: Like there never was a matrix 2 and 3

I salute you sir, Terminator 1 and 2 are FAR better than what followed. Which is sad because there was potential there, but they ended up trying to ride on the momentum of the first two films. Which is the problem highlighted by this article.

Same story with The Matrix sequels...riding on the momentum of the original story only makes a new film a fraction of what it could be.

Silver badge

3rd terminator film was good. Not as good as the first two, but good.

4th one got panned and I haven't watched it.

Mushroom

Wow, a confusing topic.

T3 cheated on the story line, sure and all, but it was a bloody good movie, particularly in comparisom with the Matrix crapquels releasad around the same time.

Great use of miniatures?

Yes.

Plot not brain-dead.

Yes.

Great matte art?

Yes.

... and so on.

TSalvation on the other hand, what a piece of shite. I walked out of the cinema well before the end, asked for my money back, not expecting and not receiving.

After some on-line disinfo, sat through the bits I'd walked out on at the cinema, confirmed that it was a prize turkey and a misuse of Mr. Bale.

More sequels?

Likely the same level of crap.

Bronze badge
Happy

Personally, I thought even T2 was jumping the shark. OK, so they had some cool ideas for FX, but that doesn't excuse 'ignoring the whole premise of internally consistent time travel that they'd put hard work into developing in the first movie'.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they explain why cyborgs age.

And it's good news, because - I don't know about you, but I'm not greatly looking forward to robots that roam the streets destroying phonebooks and shooting women whose only real offence is some questionable fashion and lifestyle choices. But I am looking forward to robots designed to help the elderly, and what better poster boy for that cause than Arnie?

MJI
Silver badge

I keep saying there wew no Matrix sequels.

I keep saying there is only one Italian Job film.

I keep saying Taxi was made in France by Luc Besson.

Thumb Up

Re: Taxi was made in France by Luc Besson

And there were no sequels of Taxi, not even in France.

MJI
Silver badge

The Terminator

An excellent film, best of the series, short, well written and well acted.

And explains why John Connor gave Kyle Reese a photo of his mum.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: Taxi was made in France by Luc Besson

I dunno the second was OK

Mushroom

I turned salvation off after a gigantic 1000 ton robot managed to SNEAK UP ON THEM IN THE MIDDLE OF A FLAT DESERT. I don't ask a lot from my action movies, but come on...

i thought T3 was alright yeah... not as good as the first 2 by a long way, but yeah, i still enjoyed it.

Silver badge

T2 may have been a good story with great special effects, but I'm of the same opinion I was with Highlander: There can be only one. The Cameron story as originally presented was a perfect time loops story: The evil enemy created itself when it went back in time and at the same time sealed its future doom. As such, they broke the story if you accept T2 as a sequel. In the same sense, I could enjoy hair boy's tv adventurers, but for me Duncan MacLeod lives in a parallel universe.

Silver badge

Terminator *5*??

Blimey, I thought that horse was long dead, I had no idea they'd forced out parts 3 and 4 amidst growing desperation. I must admit I am always surprised how many franchise parts people manage to squeeze out of an idea. Horror films were kings of it back in VHS days...

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Terminator *5*??

Why do I keep reading this as Terminal 5?

That said given what a mess Heathrow made of that (as anyone who's flown through it can attest) perhaps it's appropriate after all.

JDX
Gold badge

3 was very much a remake of 2 - mindless action and a few new bits. Nothing special but an OK dumb blockbuster.

4 was very different, they finally took the film into the world of the war against the machines, which personally I'd always wanted ever since seeing the clips of the robots in the first films.

But none of them were reboots, just sequels. A reboot suggests starting right at the beginning again in which case why have Arnie not some new hunk?

Silver badge

Found it!

http://www.monkeon.co.uk/sequels/

This is fun, if depressing...and woefully out of date!!

Re: Terminal 5

Having the T-800 going through the airport scanner would surely by a good scene in the movie.....

"er, just one more time please sir.."

BLEEP

"er.."

Re: Terminal 5

A T2 spin-off novel ("Infiltrator" IIRC) does indeed feature a terminator going through airport security, with all the fallout that implies...

Bronze badge
Alert

Please stop mentioning Kindergarten Cop

I swear someone spied on me, took all of my ideas and methods of dealing with 3 y/o's and made them into an Arnie movie.

To recap

I am 6ft 6.

The children love me.

The parents are scared of me.

I have a whistle (for outside use only)

I march the children to and from the bathroom etc......

HEY ARNIE!! I AM STILL WAITING FOR MY ROYALTY CHEQUE!!!!

Silver badge

Whatever.

That is all.

Hollywood is lazy

This is just sad, Arnold is too old to be a robot now and rebooting is pure writing laziness; they could easily have continued the current Terminator series by introducing Arnie as the human template for the original robot, that would explain the ageing.

Thumb Up

Re: Hollywood is lazy

Don't you thlnk that is the plan?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Hollywood:

Pretty much:

• Vampire flicks
  • Zombie flicks
  • Comic flicks
  • Reboots / sequels / prequels
  • Parodies of any of the above

Re: Hollywood:

you forgot to add everything is laced by annoying and unhealthy amounts of emodrama, entitled stupid teens and whiny brats (which doesnt really work especially when it comes to sci-fi).

Silver badge
Flame

Reboot reboot sequel reboot

How about something new and original like, well, a new and original idea, script and story?

It's all getting tiresome, especially when the original movie was designed as a one-off with a complete story sequence and ending, but is then a surprise hit and so the whole lot gets mangled to get a series out of it (looking at you here PotC). And how the hell can there be Independence Day 2?

And Arnie as a rebooted Terminator? From those photos, it's more a complete overhaul that'd be needed.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Reboot reboot sequel reboot

T2 was a brilliant film and T1 didn't shut the story at all... it's about time travel after all!

As for Independence Day... I'm with you on that. I loved the film because it didn't try to be too serious, but surely it's not enough of a classic to need a sequel after all these years?

Coffee/keyboard

"how the hell can there be Independence Day 2"

This time the aliens are running OSX.

Anonymous Coward

Independence Day was jingostic toss in the first place

"how the hell can there be Independence Day 2?"

One was too many; the original was an obnoxiously jingoistic piece of ra-ra-America toss.

The ability to laugh at its cliched Hollywood-cheese sentimentality and downright stupidity was let down by the fact that you knew it took itself seriously, as did its intended audience.

It was the sort of film where other countries get blown up mainly to illustrate what might happen to Our Beloved America (ra ra ra), but we're not *really* supposed to be bothered about those foreigners, especially since those guys are ineffectual ditherers and Only America Can Save The World. On the other hand, when The White House Is Destroyed, this is obviously meant to be a Big Deal. (An American Eagle cries a single, solitary tear, etc etc).

I hated it in its own right at the time, but it's been observed with hindsight that it reflected the mindset of the disaffected American right during Clinton's presidency and was a clear forerunner of Bush-era America's similarly arrogant, partisan and jingoistic mentality.

The original Independence Day came out around the mid-point of Clinton's presidency; the sequel is being discussed around the same point in (Democrat) Obama's presidency. Hmm.

Black Helicopters

Re: "how the hell can there be Independence Day 2"

Best, at least only interesting thing about lIndependence Day was the gay (as ln sexual preferece) walking style of Messrs Goldblum and Smith.

If you didn't catch it the first time, watch it again and see.

Bronze badge
Trollface

I have it on good authority that "Independence Day 2" will feature aliens in tripod-shaped fighting machines, with a deadly heat ray, shouting 'Ullah!'

See, it's completely different and wholly original.

Silver badge

Reese was quite explicit in T1. The Terminator jumped first. They seized the place just after he jumped. John sent him back then destroyed the machine because it had to work that way. If they left the machine working, if any other Skynet system found it, the whole thing would start all over again, only this time the humans wouldn't know an assassin was after Sarah.

Silver badge

Re: the original was an obnoxiously jingoistic piece of ra-ra-America toss.

Too true. Even Commando had more of a plot.

And I normally like jingoistic pieces of ra-ra-America action adventure flicks.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.