Feeds

back to article German engineers demo ROBOT APE

Balance is relatively easy for humans because we spent millennia evolving into walking upright, but it's difficult for robotics researchers. Researchers at the German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence have decided to skip bipedism in favour of a robot that walks like an ape. The 18 kg robot, dubbed iStruct by its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Well at least they put a head on this one.

Now the Martians'll know which end to threaten!

Silver badge
Terminator

"artificial crater"

Sounds a lot like a hollowed out volcano to me...

Skullduggery is afoot...

Thumb Up

Does it do...

The Balmer?

Silver badge
Pint

"The 18 kg robot..."

I for one say thank goodness for that. Had it been 300 kg and seeing no tether, it would have been worrisome even with half the strength of a similarly sized ape. Now then, how about a nice video on really challenging terrain.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: "The 18 kg robot..."

Na, the worrisome bit would be if it could get agitated like apes do and had had the tools to simmer down like apes do, i.e. humping whatever is available.

Bronze badge

Ze Robot...

EEt iz anstoppabel, hahaha. Finally, Ve are back in ze Bizness, and Ve are coming zu get You verever You are, even if You climb up ze Tree or down ze Krater. You are up Sheiss Kreek, Inglish and American PigDogs!

Silver badge
Stop

i

Can we please stop with all those i prefixes. Thank you.

Re: i

iDiots

how long will it take crApple to change its name to ipple haha

Agreed. iCan'ttakemuchmore.

Silver badge
Coat

iAgree

But can it

fling fæces ?

Needs more monolith.

Possibly a pile of parts also.

Trollface

Good to see...

that someone is re-using the set where they shot all the Apollo "moon" scenes.

Silver badge

A metal gorilla

For when a 7ft tall 400lb real ape just isn't enough.

Silver badge
Happy

Can I just say....

... Oook!

Bronze badge
Meh

Useless?

Why are we trying to imitate nature? I get that nature had a pretty long time of figuring out solutions that work and solutions that don't, but I doubt that there are no more efficient means of traversing diverse terrains... Some engineers have to sit down and come up with the most efficient way of movement, that works on most different terrains (which does exclude standalone wheels btw.). Bro-tip: Flying is PRETTY efficient. Anything that conserves inertia is also very good, for example kangaroos can move very energy efficient...

Re: Useless?

Are you proposing a robotic kangaroo?

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Useless?

Because working out how to control and synchronise all of those servos and sensors is obviously trivial and has no other practical application?

This is research, working out what can be done and how. What that technology ends up in may be completely different, but the research is non the less useful.

Joke

Missing from the end of the video

The gorillabot sits down and starts picking fleas off its programmer :-)

Colin

Its Gore!!

Can't believe nobody noticed it looks like a prototype of Gore from Zoids!!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gore,+zoids&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SovNUYKFI-Kw0AWxnYHYBQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=785

Devil

Mini AT-AT?

Make it bigger, put some armor and laser cannons on it, and we're done!

Bronze badge
Windows

Can it

climb skyscrapers with a woman in hand and swat at planes?

Bronze badge

"...dubbed iStruct by its creators..."

iStruct? iStrut, surely.

This topic is closed for new posts.