back to article Dancing Sepp Blatter on 'World Cup site' creates security flap

The appearance of an animated Sepp Blatter dancing on what appeared to be a World Cup website caused confusion in anti-virus circles on Tuesday. Tweets such as "Brazil 2014 website hacked to show a dancing Sepp Blatter on the home page http://www.fifa-brazil-2014.com" were forwarded to El Reg's security desk, sports subsection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shades

Typo-squatted?

"The official site is: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html and the campaign site is: http://www.fifa-brazil-2014.com"

I think the differences between those two URLs is significantly more than a typo!

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Typo-squatted?

More like "search-engine-squatted" or "link-squatted" because who actually looks at the URL before they click? I imagine this sort of thing could prove effective on search engine returns if the only difference between the official page and the fake was a script.

So, riddle me this: what's the difference between a marketing campaign and a malware distribution vector?

A: Click here to find out.

2. The BigYin

A fair world cup?

How about FIFA pay fair taxes to the host nation? Rather than the 0% rate FIFA demand from host nations.

Seriously. 0%. They pay athletes millions per year to punt a bag of air around, and yet are happy to deny an impoverished nation a share of their vast profits. No wonder the Brazilians are rioting. I don't blame them!

I also not the UK's total silence on this abhorrent tax avoidance by FIFA. Maybe Google and Starbucks should hire FIFA's lobbying firm?

3. RainForestGuppy

Can't see the FIFA site

I was going to look at the FIFA website but it was blocked by the "Immoral and corrupt organisation run by a crook, whilst pretending to have the best intentions for the beloved game" filter on my internet gateway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't see the FIFA site

Right kids?

4. Dramoth
    Pint

FIFA...

The only sporting organisation where bribery to the top officials are considered gifts until the organisations paying for the 'gifts' gets caught out in a bribery scandal.

If think that the F1 guys could take a few lessons off good ole Sepp on how to be openly corrupt and still have governments around the world kissing your ass.

And if Sepp could blow his own trumpet, he would...

Beer... because I need one now!

1. asdf

Re: FIFA...

>The only sporting organisation where bribery to the top officials are considered gifts until the organisations paying for the 'gifts' gets caught out in a bribery scandal

Check out American college football and basketball for the only real competitor corruption wise. Granted they are not as flagrant about it and pretend to have rules but even Fifa can't get away with not paying the athletes.

Edit: Duh forgot about the other obvious competitor The Olympic Committee

5. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Trollface

Football?

Who cares? You all elevate these people with well coordinated feet to god like status and then complain when others use them to milk you for every penny they can get. More fool you,... and the same goes for all aspects of the Cult of Celebrity. The only entertaining part of a football match is the adverts.

6. asdf
    Trollface

well

Not to defend the horrible organization that is Fifa and the in general lame sport of soccer but ole Sepp did have one valid point. The Brazilians weren't forced to host the world cup (unlike Greece and the Olympics, great move all around by Europe on that one) so in general should be mad at their own leaders more than Fifa.

This topic is closed for new posts.