With a terse statement – “The committee recommends that the Senate pass the Bill” – Australia has moved a small step closer to having mandatory data breach notification. Nothing in politics is ever certain, of course, but the committee looking into Australia's proposed data breach notification bill has unequivocally supported it …
Pity it's taken so long.
Just a week or so ago, something nasty happened in a NSW government department. Thousands of staff lost email access, and rumor was they were "hacked", and the accounts deleted. Of course without this law, the people responsible for "security" within this department can whistle to themselves, look the other way, and pretend it never happened.
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9
- George Clooney, WikiLeaks' lawyer wife hand out burner phones to wedding guests