With a terse statement – “The committee recommends that the Senate pass the Bill” – Australia has moved a small step closer to having mandatory data breach notification. Nothing in politics is ever certain, of course, but the committee looking into Australia's proposed data breach notification bill has unequivocally supported it …
Pity it's taken so long.
Just a week or so ago, something nasty happened in a NSW government department. Thousands of staff lost email access, and rumor was they were "hacked", and the accounts deleted. Of course without this law, the people responsible for "security" within this department can whistle to themselves, look the other way, and pretend it never happened.
- Infosec geniuses hack a Canon PRINTER and install DOOM
- Feature Be your own Big Brother: Monitoring your manor, the easy way
- Boffins say they've got Lithium batteries the wrong way around
- In a spin: Samsung accuses LG exec of washing machine SABOTAGE
- Phones 4u slips into administration after EE cuts ties with Brit mobe retailer