With a terse statement – “The committee recommends that the Senate pass the Bill” – Australia has moved a small step closer to having mandatory data breach notification. Nothing in politics is ever certain, of course, but the committee looking into Australia's proposed data breach notification bill has unequivocally supported it …
Pity it's taken so long.
Just a week or so ago, something nasty happened in a NSW government department. Thousands of staff lost email access, and rumor was they were "hacked", and the accounts deleted. Of course without this law, the people responsible for "security" within this department can whistle to themselves, look the other way, and pretend it never happened.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- Worstall on Wednesday YES, iPhones ARE getting slower with each new release of iOS
- Tor attack nodes RIPPED MASKS off users for 6 MONTHS