With a terse statement – “The committee recommends that the Senate pass the Bill” – Australia has moved a small step closer to having mandatory data breach notification. Nothing in politics is ever certain, of course, but the committee looking into Australia's proposed data breach notification bill has unequivocally supported it …
Pity it's taken so long.
Just a week or so ago, something nasty happened in a NSW government department. Thousands of staff lost email access, and rumor was they were "hacked", and the accounts deleted. Of course without this law, the people responsible for "security" within this department can whistle to themselves, look the other way, and pretend it never happened.
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Hi-torque tank engines: EXTREME car hacking with The Register
- Review What's MISSING on Amazon Fire Phone... and why it WON'T set the world alight
- Product round-up Trousers down for six of the best affordable Androids
- Why did it take antivirus giants YEARS to drill into super-scary Regin? Symantec responds...