back to article Cloudera taps new CEO for inevitable IPO push or acquisition

Big-data hotshot Cloudera has a new CEO: Tom Reilly, an industry veteran who has guided other tech firms to profitable acquisitions. But don't automatically assume that the privately held Cloudera is shopping itself around – an IPO is also a real possibility. Judging from some changes among Cloudera's top brass, it looks like …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Megaphone

I have a personal rule of thumb that the more closely the name of a company references money, the more likely it's a scam (culminating in companies with "cash" right in their name, which are nearly always ripoffs of the first water).

I don't actually know anything about Cloudera other than it has all the trendy buzzwords in their wikipedia page, but I'm going to propose an alternate version of the above rule, that the more closely something references "cloud" in their name, the more likely they're complete bullshit. Prove me wrong.

Sadly you are demonstrating that you "don't know anything about Cloudera".

Top notch company, overwhelmingly dominant player in the emerging Hadoop market. The company has been managed very well through this growth - much credit goes to Mike Olsen and his team.

If they decide to IPO, I would expect Cloudera to be very successful - much like Splunk - and unlike Facebook (and may others).

The good news is that you'll know a lot about Cloudera soon enough.

As Hadoop is HPC for morons, and there's lots of morons, there's lots of profit (or that's the story, anyway).

Silver badge
Boffin

WTF?

Sorry, but different paradigm than HPC.

If you understood it, you'd see that the majority of the business use cases are not HPC.

Silver badge
Boffin

Valuation?

It's a tough one.

There are 6 major players and Cloudera is just one of them.

They all need to find was to differentiate themselves from one another. This means that they have to have a blend of open source and proprietary tools. This could fragment the market.

Beyond that if the estimates are true figure a 8x valuation to sales.

Still high risk when you consider that IBM, EMC and Intel are all deep pocket competitors.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums