Feeds

back to article AXE-WAVING BIKER GANG SMASHES into swanky Apple UK store

Cops have arrested two men following a failed “smash and grab” robbery at Apple’s flagship store on Regent Street, London. Detectives want to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the incident, which took place at 1am on Tuesday morning. Officers told The Register that up to eight people may have been involved in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

So the ones doing jewelry stores in 2010

Are out now after serving 3 of their 10 year sentences

dont you love UK justice

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

Re: So the ones doing jewelry stores in 2010

You're in the wrong place. This is The Register forum, not the Daily Mail comments page.

(Though to be fair, I get the impression that a lot of the commenters here presumably read and believe said rag..."

I'll be honest, I have read said rag, but I do not read (or even like) said rag.

Anonymous Coward

"I'll be honest too - I like all the pictures of ladies in bikinis that they put on their website."

Err, aren't most of them under-age?

Anonymous Coward

Would never have happened at the Microsoft store......

Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one who read 'Plod' as 'iPlod'?

Gold badge
Happy

I warn you, if you try to fondle your iPlod touch, you could get into serious trouble!

Bronze badge
Coat

Whatever, it's not "the plod", it's "plod". If you want to use the definite article, may I suggest "the filth"?

Anonymous Coward

>I warn you, if you try to fondle your iPlod touch, you could get into serious trouble!

But only when doing so in a public covenience.

If you want to get into real serious trouble you need to fondle an iPlodess.

Silver badge

You can also expect problems if you attempt pairing with the Boys in Bluetooth.

Happy

@Symon

'Rozzers' is also an acceptable synonym.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: @Symon

Run. It's Dibble!

Silver badge

Am I the only one..

..that read "swanky" as "wanky"?

Oh, Cnanda!

Here in Canada, only the plod are allowed to fondle the plodess. Allowed as in lack of consequences.

Trying...

...to get in Apple's good books El Reg? Don't particularly see you doing this for any other firm, especially not with the appeal at the bottom. Whats up, do you want invites to the iOS7 launch or something?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Trying...

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the dramatic difference in the number of smash and grabs on Apple stores, compared to the number of smash and grabs on..... Android stores, Microsoft stores, Samsung stores, HTC stores........

Facepalm

"Pair cuffed after helicopter chase sparked by Cupertino idiot-tax-avoiding raid" - The Article

Yup, El Reg is really sucking up to Apple this time.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Funny, I don't remember ever seeing ay of the above named stores on my local high street.

Whodathunkit - ther are more smash-and-grabs on something that exists than something that doesn't.

Anonymous Coward

Other companies in the tech world don't have such a large and wide presence on the high street.

iPolice

Good job they are contributing so much of that lovely corporate tax that goes towards paying for said police force..

Bronze badge

Axe wielding wimps

We're obviously no match for unarmed guards clad in their fruity logo'd Tactlenecks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U47Tdf6QPis

couple of years late

These guys are a couple of years late? i mean I remember there being a batch of apple store robberies a couple years ago, then most would be robbers found out that all device serials are traceable and get blocked

or are these guys just super thick? although as mentioned they will basically get a clip round the ear from the UK courts and that will probably encourage them to do something similar again.

Silver badge

Re: couple of years late

Found in Islington, too. What a shocker.

It's grim up North London.

According to one report I read (BBC I think) they were caught in Tufnell Park. Now while that *IS* technically in Islington (although only just, it's on the border with Camden) upmarket, trendy Islington it is not. Alongside all the rich trendies some parts of Islington are extremely run-down and deprived.

Silver badge

One of the best things about Islington are it's socioeconomic dynamics.

Take a couple of wrongs turns after exiting one of the trendy bars on a friendly road, and you end up somewhere like the wrong end of North Road. Where I once watched some kids on a scooter smash the back window of an Audi A3 and whup the laptop in there while the owner was in the council office.

And then, as I walked up the road around about the parks/greenspace office, they tried to sell said laptop to me. I politely declined, they politely made their exit.

Even stranger is that 300yds down the road towards the recycling centre is a pretty well known garage that preps full on racespec porsche 911s for privateers IIRC.

Other end of that road is....shall we say, somewhat grittier. My memory might be foggy, but if you know the area, you probably know what I'm talking about.

Funny old place, Islington - but really interesting on multiple levels once you get off Upper street and start floating around the rest of it.

Steven R

Silver badge

You should have bought it and given it back to the owner!

FAIL

Yes, and given him £250 to repair his back windscreen while you're at it.

Silver badge
FAIL

It's his own lookout for leaving his laptop in full view in North London with nothing more than a plate of glass between it and miscreants!

Steven R

Anonymous Coward

Disappointed

From the headline I was expecting some Playmobil fun. :-(

Facepalm

Correction

Can I just point out that people who ride scooters are not "Bikers"

Bikers ride motorcycles - always have - always will

Thumb Up

Re: Correction

Hear hear!!

Silver badge
Alert

Exactly my point

As someone old enough to remember the 'Mods' vs 'Rockers' bank holiday events in the 1960's there is no way any self respecting Biker would be seen dead on a scooter.

Mind you the definition of a scooter these days is a far cry from that of the Li-150's that most of the Mods I knew rode.

As a biker I also resent the implication that Bikers are somehow criminals (as portraied by what supposedly passes for the Press these days). We are not.

Now I'm going for a run on my Tiger-1050.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Exactly my point

Blimey - you'll be telling us that lorry drivers don't murder prostitutes next.

Glad someone got in with this observation.

Some thirty years ago I was on my lunch break at the same time as the daft biddy from the department and the manageress. The DB was raving on about how all bikers were murdering, thieving scum and should be locked up or worse and the manageress spent the lunchbreak defending her son, who was a keen biker. Eventually, after about twenty minutes of spittle flying invective washing about my ears I put down my book and went to the cloakroom. I came back with my crash helmet on and carried on reading. Neither of them noticed.

Pint

Correction Re: Correction

All bikers ride motorcycles. However, not everyone who rides a motorcycle is a biker either.

Now enough of this, I'm off to the Farmyard Party.

Anonymous Coward

@Steve Davies: Some bikers are criminals, some aren't. However a fair proportion of the bikers I know are really rather over-sensitive about being labelled criminal, and then go on to go home at 100+MPH weaving - sorry, filtering - all the way down the motorway.

It doesn't help their cause.

That said, as a cyclist I sympathise to a certain extent because we don't all shoot red lights, jump on and off pavements, etc. etc. a proportion of a group can badly tar the rest.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Pedantry alert.

If it's got two wheels and an motor, it's a motorcycle. That includes mopeds, scooters, and motorised bicycles.

If you're going to associate the term "biker" with "motorcycle" then all riders of motorcycles are bikers.

But I absolutely understand your original sentiment! :)

Bronze badge
Trollface

If you want to take your Tiger on the road..

Try a Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf. B

Nobody is going to cut you up! Also you can take the short cuts through walls. houses, shops etc.

Go for the one with the Maybach engine and Porsche turrret

Nope.

Just because it has two wheels and a motor, it doesn't qualify as a motorcycle - otherwise cement mixers would qualify. At best they can be called a motorised vehicle (cement mixers apart)

A moped or a scooter is NOT a motorcycle - that's why they are CALLED mopeds and scooters...

A Motorcycle will always elicit a positive emotional response from a Biker - that, if anything, is why Bikers ride motorcycles..

And - yes, Mopeds and scooters ( and even cement mixers) will elicit an emotional response - but not in a good way

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Correction

Someone NEEDS to build a driveable cement mixer. Possibly one for El Reg's SPB?

Silver badge
Thumb Up

As a biker myself I wholeheartedly agree that scooter-riders <> bikers.

Then again as Mr Davies points out, the distinctions are getting blurred. Strictly speaking the only technical difference between the two is a manual* gearbox vs continuously variable gearbox on scooters. AFAIK one of the Italian brands (Gilera?) produce a machine that is technically a scooter but looks indistinguishable from a small sports bike (125 or 250)

I've actually often wondered if a full-fat touring bike could benefit from a CV gearbox on? Or something like an automatic gearbox with sequential shifting for sports bikes? All the power and acceleration (and engine noise) of a real bike without needing to fiddle with gears.

* or should that be pedal?

Bronze badge

Re: Correction Correction Re: Huw D

All bikers ride motorcycles.

In my experience bikers ride in the back of transits and only put their helmets on when they arrive in the pub car park.

Okay, not all bikers, and I don't begrudge them doing that. It is however quite amusing to see and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen it.

Anonymous Coward

Ultra-pedantry alert

According to the classification on the tax disc of my Daytona 955i (a far cry from a pedal cycle), it is a bicycle... Motorised or otherwise, it is the number of wheels and approval for use on public roadways that defines its classification...

Silver badge

Here in the States the bikers do call their bikes scooters, in a form of Hipsteresque Irony. Thought maybe the trend had spread over there.

Thumb Up

Yes. Then to prove it is properly robust, enter it into the Mongol rally.

Devil

Re: Correction Correction Huw D

No,

Bikers live and breathe bikes.

Motorcyclists have bikes, but aren't necessarily bikers.

Blokes who turn up in cars and then put their full leathers/helmets on are collectively known as tossers.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.