Feeds

back to article Nutanix trims down and fattens up server-storage halfbloods

Still not acquired after bragging two months ago of an 80 per cent sequential revenue bump and an $80m annualized run rate as it exited the first quarter, virtual server-storage appliance maker Nutanix is widening its market appeal with new low-end and high-end configurations. The former are aimed at SMBs and remote/branch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

for that money

I'd rather pay a bit more and get better quality hardware from someone like HP. I just can't imagine deploying Supermicro grade stuff at a cost of $10s of thousands per node. give me good iLO(Supermicro's equivalent is OK but for the $ I want something better), Advanced ECC and other enterprise grade features (mainly higher reliability). Maybe throw in some advanced power management ala Dynamic power caps or something too.

Don't get me wrong I think supermicro stuff is OK -- my own personal server in a colo that hosts my email/websites/blog etc is Supermicro, I've used them off and on for many years. It's more about where in the value chain they fit, If' I'm going to pay $50-100k for a system, I want it to be higher grade than what SM offers. I don't care if the higher level software may handle fault tolerance, I'm willing to pay the cost to get more premium hardware underneath -- especially given the price delta would not be more than say 5-10%.

I really can't see myself paying more than $8-10k for a SM-based system. If the software is that valuable - it gets put on hardware that is at least somewhat more valuable (HP, or perhaps Dell - have not had much experience with IBM), with on site support etc.

Even more so if the solution is for a "branch office". May be less important if your deploying a grid of 100s of these systems in a data center. (but still I'd opt for the higher grade hardware).

Bronze badge

Re: for that money

minor clarification - when I say 5-10% price delta I mean at the end of the day -- obviously here the bulk of the cost of these systems is in the software.

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: for that money

Hello Nate,

Point taken --- we do stand by our hardware and customer service though. We have a standard warranty as well as Gold and Platinum support services at standard rates which include on-site replacement services. The failure rates we track for the various hardware systems that we select are below industry norms. If we find that a platform does not meet our high threshold for quality, we will quickly find one that does meet this standard and do right for our customers.

On the same token, we completely understand brand loyalty and may offer other hardware systems in the future to accommodate customers which have these preferences. Our IP is in the software itself.

We appreciate the feedback and hope we get the opportunity to win your business at some point.

Cheers,

Lukas Lundell

Nutanix, Global Manager of Systems Reliability Engineering

Thumb Up

and for that money...I save 40% without compromise!

As a "former" HP site, our move to Nutanix has been a remarkable step forward. While we do have two EVA6500s we plan on retiring them in the new financial year and replace with more Nutanix. Their support has been exceptional and the quality of the solution they provide is outstanding. Cheaper and better than HP in every way. Better value proposition without compromise. Savign 40% of my CapEx is a positive result, the reliablity and service has been great. Nutanix stand behind their products as much as HP do.

As their first NZ based customer the support, engagement and advice has been excellent. Don't mistake Nutanix for a hardware kit - they are a solution provider for virtual computing platforms. I'm sure Nutanix will be happy to provide you with options in the future on running their smarts over 3rd party hardware? Perhaps someone from Nutanix could comment? Having said that we are happy they provide the solution they do.

This topic is closed for new posts.