Re: The feds are not going to stop themselves
"What are those evil practices? Paying for artists to work to create joy for you? Oh yeah, really evil."
Since you ask, Sony's "evil" practices include, but are not limited to:
- Being one of the creators and prime movers of the scheme that limits DVD playback according to where in the world you bought your DVD player (even though copyright law gives no right to 'restrict the equipment on which a legally owned copy of a work can be accessed')
- Being one of the prime movers behind the 'anti-circumvention' laws that, globally, convert the abovementioned (stolen) right into a pillar of copyright law
- Developing and enforcing the same system on Blu-Ray
- Putting rootkits on its CDs
- When called on rootkits, defending their actions with the argument that "users shouldn't mind"
- Building DVD players that prevent you from fast-forwarding (or pausing, for that matter) through copyright notices.
All of these are things Sony did entirely voluntarily, wilfully putting itself right in the forefront of efforts to screw the law-abiding consumer at every turn.