Feeds

back to article Ask Trevor Pott ANYTHING about Office 365

Our favourite sysadmin Trevor Pott has been digging deep into Office 365 in recent weeks. But even Trevor is only human, and there may be features you feel he hasn't fully touched on, or corners of the cloudy platform that haven't been properly aired so far. So we ran a Live Chat on Monday 24 June, when you had the opportunity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Can we use "ize" and "re"

Or does that confuse the NSA filters?

Silver badge
Pint

Stop

Why would you want to ask any questions about it?

It would be like watching England in the World Cup.

You start off full of hope and optimism.

Then you get ground into the dirt and spend the next few years dreaming of what could have been.

I'm off to the pub, there are better things to do with my time.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Dear Mods,

How come that comment gets through, when comments about certain contributors being in the pay of Microsoft, or abusing their position as tech journos to write wingnut twaddle about climate change, get auto-rejected?

Gold badge

Nope, I always appear to be sanctimonious arse to idiot blowhards who are consistently wrong. It must be a terrible burden to see perfection every time you look in the mirror, most humans don't handle cognitive dissonance early so well as you can. I'm truly impressed by the way you manage to compartmentalize your thought processes. Your genome should be sequenced for science.

Gold badge

Re: Dear Mods,

I think "ad homenim attacks against Trevor" get through because I am perfectly capable and willing to troll asshats right back. Forehead slant? IQ of a decomposed tomato? No problem! I'll gleefully excoriate you in public for my own amusement while you keep digging deeper. Internets!

I'm waiting patiently for some of your gleeful excoriating comments.

Time passes

Still waiting.

You are attacked by a Grue!

PS "asshats"? You've found a reliable source for the straw bonnets worn by the Donkeys on Skeg-Vegas beach?

Gold badge

@Neil Greatorex

I am defeated by a Zork reference. You win the Internets.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

But have you learnt the difference between Hyper-V Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 yet, Trevor?

(Written by Reg staff)

The forums' auto-modding function isn't perfect, unfortunately. I've zapped that comment - please feel free to hit "report" on stuff like that in the future.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Holmes

Re: Dear Trevor How can I get my data to the NSA the fastest?

Don't worry Eadon, the NSA already grabbed all your data -- and then realized it was completely worthless and dumped it.

Silver badge

> Don't worry Eadon, the NSA already grabbed all your data -- and then realized it was completely worthless and dumped it.

Oh, they've got his card marked, you can be sure.

Anyone who isn't a sycophantic Microsoft believer is a commie pinko and needs extra "special" attention.

Anonymous Coward

Eadon - positive comments about Linux not nasty ones about Microsoft will encourage people to make the move. It'll probably reduce your blood pressure by a few PSI and make you a nicer more tolerant person to boot.

Silver badge

Yep, you're marked for sure. The #1 Microsoft evangelist online. I'm sure they have an award waiting for the individual who scares the most business decision makers away from OSS.

Anonymous Coward

"who scares the most business decision makers away from OSS"

I think Munich Council won that award already....

Bronze badge
Happy

Why Office 365

When I can enable remote access to my LAN and use LibreOffice for free?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Why Office 365

When you loose your job and you no longer require a product that actually works...

Bronze badge

Re: Why Office 365

"When you loose your job and you no longer require a product that actually works..."

I'm self employed and doing OK, although I am thinking of issuing myself with a written warning for browsing the Internet and reading The Register during working hours.

Pirate

My biggest question

about Office365 is - how long will it be before Microsoft comes up with Yet Another Greatest Thing Ever that will be the successor to O365 and forces all of us who use it to switch over?

I'll wander back into the shadows now, and grumble into my beard about being pushed from the simple Live@EDU into O365.

Anonymous Coward

Re: My biggest question

"how long will it be before Microsoft comes up with Yet Another Greatest Thing Ever that will be the successor to O365 and forces all of us who use it to switch over?"

Microsoft already have an accelerated update / release cycle for office 365. You don't need to do anything to switch over at each update - it's without impact to end users...

Bronze badge

Should we expect some downtime in leap years?

Bronze badge

Re: 365

Or even during Leap Seconds: http://www.techspot.com/news/49229-leap-second-bug-amazon-ec2-outage-brought-down-major-websites.html

Silver badge
Headmaster

I see that Mr Eadon joined this thread and then deleted himself.

I am delighted to see that even he has an embarrassment threshold.

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: I see that Mr Eadon joined this thread and then deleted himself.

Nah, he's just aiding the terrorist threat by continually posting random anti Microsoft drivel. Mind I'd like to know what his underlying reason is. Most people would get angry at whatever someone/thing did, see it in perspective, get over it, then go on with their lives using something else. Mr Eadon's thing against Microsoft must be really deep routed and it's eating his soul. (sorry for the neo christian observation at the end, but sometimes it fits)

WHY IS EADON SO ANGRY???? - love child of Bill Gates? or didn't something work for him at a critical time and he lost his entire family to a BSOD?.

Why is latency so high?

We switched from an overloaded Exchange server to Office 365 and immediately noticed a pronounced delay in mail delivery, up to minutes, accompanied by occasional refusal to recognize user credentials, causing temporary email outages on a random, individual basis. The portion of the company still on Exchange are not seeing these symptoms. Comments?

Gold badge

Re: Why is latency so high?

I've noticed this as well. It's typically been related to issues with the AD infrastructure, in many cases on the MS side where you can't touch it. It's "open a ticket" time...

This topic is closed for new posts.