Feeds

back to article Microsoft Office 365 on iPhone NOW: No, we're not making this up

Microsoft's Office 365 app is now available from Apple's iTunes store for iPhones, iPads and iPods. The cloud-powered, subscription-based software can be obtained if you're in the US: everyone else, including us Brits, will have to wait a while, though probably not for long. The productivity suite is pretty comprehensive, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

IT Angle

Ummm, hang on a sec

I thought Apple got stroppy about people charging subscriptions and micropayments on stuff bought through the App Store? Has Office 365 found a way around it?

Re: Ummm, hang on a sec

I think they'll be OK as long as there's no link (or hint of one) to how to subscribe.

I would imagine the issue there was if the installed app handled transactions/micropayments for the developers rather than the App Store.

Where as this (Office 365) is a subscription based service that is handled outside the App Store ecosystem (much like The Times or Spotify) with an app to access said service on iOS devices.

The rules are there has to be no payup option Apple don't get a cut of

My guess is unless you have an account it just shows you a login screen forever. No way is Microsoft letting Apple get any Office 365 subscription money.

But seriously, what? Why no big launch? They can't seriously think keeping this quiet will save Windows 8, can they?

And of course, bear in mind that this makes iOS devices more useful for the corporate crowd and thus less likely to have A.N.OTHER more corporate compatible device pushed upon them.

That "Buy Now" button on the last screen is a big giveaway. App cops must have been asleep the day they approved that.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Microsoft already gives anyone who resells Office 365 subscriptions a cut. However as far as I can see, Apple isn't sellings subscriptions, so will be geting zero money from this...

nb - The app isn't "free" like on WIndows RT. This version ONLY works with a valid Office 365 subscription....

Silver badge

MS Office is not free on RT

It is bundled. If you buy RT, you have to pay for MS Office as well. That is why RT is so expensive.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: MS Office is not free on RT

RT is cheaper and more powerful than the equivalent size iPad - and still incudes Office as well...

NSA not getting enough info then?

Thumb Down

@Martin 47 The NSA quips are getting really tedious. We get it.

Oh sorry, its been in the news for a week now clearly we should move on and talk about more important stuff.

Talking of more important stuff have you heard that some bloke I have never heard of is going to be in the next big brother house? I know its, like, wow.

Bronze badge

Of course

There are No Strings Attached.

Anonymous Coward

Re: MS Office 365 and NSA

If you think the NSA limits itself to US companies then you are mistaken. Go Google Echelon....

And Microsofts Azure is inherently far more secure than an Open Stack environment.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Get used to it?

No.

NSA! NSA! NSA!

Anonymous Coward

Re: MS Office 365 and NSA

But Open Stack is inherrently Linux based - and therefore has an order of magnitude more security vulberabiities than the Windows equivalent....and it is far easier to discover new ones as the source code is available.

And at least Microsoft dont let the NSA add criticial vulnerabilities to their OS like Open BSD did....

US only so far

I'm sure Apple will put it in the UK store soon, though.

Anonymous Coward

Macros.....

VBA Macros / Linked spreadsheets all good?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Macros.....

No, of course not. In short, you may as well use one of the free office suites, this is just the next in a long long of Microsoft failed products.

Joke

Gives New Meaning to the Word Obscurity

I can't wait to renew my contact lens prescription.

Anonymous Coward

Re: MS porting Office to iPhone - how HUMILIATING. Don't mention the NSA!!!

Everyone seems to forget that when Balmer laughed at the iPhone, many other people were laughing at it as well. The first iPhone was a total joke, all flash case and no functionality. It didn't do half the things that bog standard European phones did, it didn't support mms, stereo bluetooth headsets, removable storage, only did GSM, didn't have GPS (IIRC), no front facing camera, no video recording, it didn't have even cut and paste.

The first iPhone was a piss-poor phone which was rightly laughed at, the fact that it is a far more capable device today doesn't change the fact that it was obviously initially designed to test the marketplace to see if Apple loving hipsters would buy it. After it proved a moderate success, they started seriously developing it and arrived at the pretty good phone they've got today and expanded their market share out of Apple loving hipsters to be much broader.

Facepalm

Somebody seems to have forgotten that MS Office {Word, Excel} started on the Apple Mac, and was ported to Windows, and before that {Word, Multiplan} was available for Unix systems {Xenix; SVR4; SunOS}.. if doing what you’ve done for 30 years is HUMILIATING, then bring it on.. we could all do with some of that.

Fact is an iPad with Office 365 will be considerable more expensive than a WinRT slab

Mushroom

> Fact is an iPad with Office 365 will be considerable more expensive than a WinRT slab

I'd rather an iPad with stability, a proven track record and hundreds of thousands of applications to a version 1 Win RT doorstop any day.

MS will probably scrap Win RT by this time next year.

Anonymous Coward

"nice try at rewriting history..."

There was no App store on the first iPhone. You were only allowed Apps that Apple installed and allowed.

Anonymous Coward

No Eadon, it wasn't revolutionary, that's what the adverts said, I wouldn't have thought you'd buy into that. The only engineers I knew who used the first iPhone were posers, it's possible to be both an engineer and a poser. Loads of other phones had "real" browsers and touch interfaces. The first iPhone was no game changer. Android again not very good to start with but has become far, far better. You also seem to suggest that iPhone and Android are contemporary? They're not. Google purchased Android and turned it into an iPhone wannabe, which has since (as mentioned) become much better.

You are the one trying to re-write history to suit you anti-MS agenda. Odd that you didn't mention the glaringly obvious fact that MS had a really popular smartphone system before the launch of Apple and later Android and they've flushed their market share down the toilet.

Bronze badge

Eadon's Anti-MS Jihad continues. This week he's a revisionist historian Apple fanboy.

The first iPhone lacked 3G and an App Store. All it had was a nice interface - well designed, but not the revolution Apple would have you believe.

Android was a wannabe iPhone clone on-the-cheap in the early days.

Eadon fail (again). Yawn.

WTF?

@Eadon - Phone Market

"And so now iPhone has the most profitable chunk of the phone market"

Are you sure? Last stats I saw, iPhone had about 17% market share (compare that to Android's 75%)...there's a lot of profit in that extra 58%

Silver badge

@Stephen Channell

Oh, I've always known that ... I used the first Word versions on Mac, years before the Windows counterpart was ported. Though to be fair, sometime around 6.0 I think MS decided to backport the Windoze version back to the Mac. So the Mac version ended up having an ugly UI instead of the neat Mac-native one it had before.

These days, it does seem to fit with OSX, and it has the added benefit of actually keeping the menus they excised on the Windows version.

Anonymous Coward

Actually Windows Phone is now up to 8.4% share of the UK market and is growing rapidly....

Anonymous Coward

Windows RT is a much more powerful and secure OS than the iPad offers. For instance full support for 400 million USB devices, and proper multitasking...

Silver badge

> MS did not flush their market share down the toilet,

Yes they did. First by announcing that there would be a new version of WM after 6 and then not delivering it but throwing in a belated 6.5 too late and too little.

Then they killed off WM6 with a completely incompatible WP7. At that point many developers who had held on to a declining WM6 market gave up and went Android or iThing. Later, all the WP7 hardware and developers were obsoleted by yet another incompatible system: WP8.

WM6 was primarily a corporate product. Businesses had built infra structure around it. WP7 killed all that off and attempted to move into consumer market so it lost its base of customers and tried for a market it couldn't win.

They also lost developers and customers when they released and killed Kin - a device built for customers who couldn't afford it.

h3
Bronze badge

People are still developing stuff on Windows CE 6 (I know a contractor who is working on such a project not by his choice by customers).

People have hacked nearly all of WM6 back into WP7 need to mess around a bit but it is good enough to have most of sync centre working and run opera.

I am not even sure whether I think most apps are better on Android/WP/iOS than the types of apps that were on Symbian / Palm OS / WM or it could be that it is just I cannot find any of the decent ones to do niche tasks whereas there is usually just one or two and they didn't have adware. They use multiple screens too much these days. I want everything I want on one screen in a way that is designed to be easy to read / use (Not that looks pretty - doubly so if making it look nice makes working out what you want to know more difficult which it almost always does when it small writing).

The palm os version of the Electrist for example is much better than the Android app by the same guy. (Just the design is so much clearer ignoring that the Android one has much less functionality).

Silver badge
Meh

"@AC 17:37 - why can't you choose a handle ffs?"

I thought you had to be registered to post a comment - even if you elect to post anonymously, don't you need to be logged in as a valid user?

Silver badge

@Stephen Channell

Sorry, you are wrong about Word being on Mac first. I agree that Excel was on Mac first, but Word first appeared on Xenix (Multi-Tool Word), and was ported to DOS, UNIX and Mac.

I used Word 2.0 for DOS back in 1984 or so, and I hated it then, and I still struggle now.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

RT is a far more powerful OS than IOS - proper multitasking, far more secure, support for 400 million USB devices, etc, etc. Sure it might not have as many apps yet, but that will come...

Anonymous Coward

Careful there Eadon, you almost said shill and you know that's against the rules...

Nope your wrong even there, Apps on iPhone where always available, the SDK for iOS where not.

But from start you could create apps based on html 5 and javascripts, still today you can store them down to your homescreen.

So Apps on the first iPhone, where only meant to be done with web standards.

Re: @Eadon - Phone Market

there's a lot of profit in that extra 58%

Nope there isn't. Infact there is no profit left for any other than Apple and Samsung. HTC strugles and so does Nokia.

There was just recently an report of that Samsung and Apple takes 101% of the profit in the market. Stupid way of calculating percentages, but anyway that shows that most of the other had no profits to show. And if there where any other phone maker that did profit, then the loss was so much greater for those who did not.

If you want to read about ridiculous percentage calculations but still understand them just google: Samsung Apple 101%, or 103% if you want.

Here is a similar report stating Apple and Samsung takes 97.8% of the profits.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/15/apple-bagged-57-of-12-5b-in-smartphone-profits-in-q1-android-43-samsung-95-share-of-that-more-than-google/

There is definitely not a lot of profits in those "58%" wherever you magically took that number. I assume you actually meant 8%

Anonymous Coward

"But from start you could create apps based on html 5 and javascripts, still today you can store them down to your homescreen"

So you were allowed to create webpages on you r own server and Apple let you bookmark them? Wow. That is not an App, you could call it a web app but it is different to an app that runs on the phone.

Re: @Stephen Channell

Correct that "Word" started on Xenix, but winword started on the Apple Mac and was ported too Windows. WinWord & DOS Word didn't even share file-formats.

WTF?

Re: @Eadon - Phone Market

"There is definitely not a lot of profits in those "58%" wherever you magically took that number. I assume you actually meant 8%"

Magically, 75 - 17 = 58....so I meant 58, not 8

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.