back to article Wanna be a ROBOT OVERLORD? Boffins pave way with mind-controlled cursor

Scientists have implanted electrodes in the brains of seven epileptic people in a bid to understand how humans learn new skills. They wanted to see what happened when people learned to use a device called a brain-computer interface, which allows them to interact with computers simply by thinking. This revolutionary technology is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge
Coat

Well that solves a problem!

...feed herself chocolate using a mind-controlled robot arm.

This overcomes a pressing US issue. The upper limit on fatbastardry caused by being unable to fold your arms far enough to reach your gob with your own hands anymore.

Silver badge

Re: Well that solves a problem!

Indeed the Judge Dredd Fatties are upon us!

Gold badge

Re: Well that solves a problem!

I was more imagining the initial learning cycle which seems to contain a degree of Darwinism. It was either learning fine motor control quick enough to handle feeding or die due to blunt force trauma of an overreaching robotic arm..

Bronze badge

" implanted electrodes in the brains of seven epileptic people"

McCoy: What is this, the Dark Ages?

Thumb Up

Where can I pick mine up

Good job. Where can I pick up mine with full bluetooth interface?

Silver badge
Boffin

It's about time...

... Cyberpunk was doing this back in the 1980s!

--- Jacking out ---

Bronze badge

Neural Net?

The first Neural Net ?

Silver badge

mind-controlled cursor

They dropped a brick on their foot?

Re: mind-controlled cursor

What, me drop a great heavy lump of coal on my foot?

You must be out of your ...

Anonymous Coward

epileptic?

u sure u got that right? u sure not paraplegic or similar?

RcR
Thumb Up

Brain electrode implant

I want one of these implanted to tickle my amygdala- pleasure centers that reward on when you ingest a molecule such as sugar, chocolate, cocaine, heroin- you get the picture. Then I will power it up and turn myself into a null wave transmitter...

Silver badge

Wow, Michael Chrichton was a prophet.

Way back in the 70s, I read a book by Chrichton titled The Terminal Man, which describes exactly this scenario. In Chrichton's story, a man, Harold Benson, suffering from what was then called temporal-lobe epilepsy is fitted with a computer controlled implant designed to trigger his pleasure centres in order to arrest the onset of epileptic seizures - exactly as described in this article.

In the book, although the implant is designed to trigger only when it detects a seizure, Benson quickly works out how to deliberately induce seizures in order to experience the burst of pleasure the implant generates. As a result of the continuous seizure state, he enters a psychotic mindset in which he believes machines have taken over the world, that everyone around him is now a machine, and embarks on a horrifically murderous rampage to free the world of his perceived machine dominance.

It's incredibly spooky to see how a novel that grabbed my imagination back in the 70s is actually coming true. The Terminal Man now joins 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact in my library of sci-fi futures whose time I'm now living in. Makes me feel like a time traveller!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums