back to article VMware sucks server and app logs into vCenter control freak

Server virtualization juggernaut and cloud builder and parts supplier VMware is bolting more capabilities onto its vCenter management tools with the launch of a new module called Log Insight. As the name suggests, vCenter Log Insight is designed to ingest and analyze the operational data that is generated by servers, storage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

why

should anyone waste their time with this when there is Splunk (and other options) available?

the 1.0 features certainly sound like it's not worth anyone's time, hell it's not even worth the time to read the press release (slurping syslog data, hah!)

I suppose VMware has little choice but to try to diversify, but they should do their customers(myself being one for 14 years now) a favor and not release something that is as weak as this appears to be. I think back to how Splunk has evolved over the years(customer of theirs for 6-7 years now), and I see the long road ahead for VMware, assuming they invest any serious effort in it.

I'd wager VMware gives up on the project within 2 years and scraps it, or perhaps if they are lucky, spins it off or sells it to someone else.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why Not?

This is a logical step for VMware and it is also an integral part of Pivotal. Splunk came on the scene with nice toys and is heading for $200 Million with a cool, but far from enterprise ready product. If VMware can do this right, they will do well with the concepts. Blow it and CIO's will just have one more reason to ditch VMware for any of the other virt and cloud offerings. VMware needs this to succeed.

3. asdf
    FAIL

pee off copy editor

Byline made me think VMWare was pulling a PRISM and sucking up customer data in a dodgy way. Ha ha copy editor read three lines saw it what looked like marketing material from VMWare didn't read the article.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Nate Amsden: No doubt Splunk receives much love in the market, but the licensing of Log Insight is much more favorable. Also, Log Insight contains analysis packs that capture log analysis fingerprinting techniques and patterns from top VMware internal folks...the kind of folks you only get to with a very expensive call to VMware support or a service engagement.

So, for its indented purpose, VMware environments, Log Insight is a sweet deal and a powerful debugging tool.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like