back to article Chrome and Firefox are planet-wreckers, IE cuddles dolphins

Every one of us can do their bit to “save the planet”, whatever that means, and Microsoft has jumped aboard that bandwagon by commissioning a new study that investigates just how much electricity browsers consume when running on desktop and notebook computers. The Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems put its name …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm not surprised

The IE machines didn't have to do much. The connected and then spent the entire 6 minutes displaying a pop up asking if you wanted to download a more modern browser.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Especially

When they don't have to bother will implementing all those troublesome security measures and such.

2. Neil Charles

Re: I'm not surprised

Yep, a set time period seems like a thoroughly unfair test to me.

“We then measured the average power draw over one-second intervals for a six-minute period with each of the individual browsers open"

If I open IE on my work machine (which is the only time I open it), it huffs and puffs for a good while before it finally sorts itself out and loads the local intranet homepage.

A fairer test might be the total power draw over the time it takes to open the browser, load gmail, open and read a message, load YouTube, play one video and close again.

Never mind the power stats, I reckon IE on anything but a box fresh laptop would lose by about three minutes.

2. DAN*tastik
    Holmes

Any power consumption results by OS?

I have friends who run Linux distros on relatively old hardware ( coincidentally, they are the ones who asked me to install a good antivirus, Libre / Open office depending on how long ago it was, or just if I could make their boxes go a little faster ). They perform as well as newer hardware with Windows on it, but my guess is that they are less power hungry. Would Microsoft care to do a little research on that too?

It would also be interesting to see if there are variations when it comes to typing a text document or creating a spreadsheet...

3. M Gale
    Holmes

“installed three popular browsers, Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox, on six new notebook and four desktop computers running Windows 8.”

Running Windows 8. That's your problem right there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed… they should try booting up a Linux distribution, and see what Chrome and Firefox are like there compared to the Linux baseline.

Okay, we can't easily test what IE would be like under Linux since IE doesn't easily run under Linux (well, IE6 does... I've done it before and you can find instructions here), but it'd be interesting to see if the overheads of Firefox and Chrome running on Windows are anything like that on Linux.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ohh, and if people are trying to reach the page in that screenshot, it's here.

When I ran that test, I found IE used more CPU time, while Firefox used more memory. Chrome didn't exist back then, in fact I think that test predates Webkit... although Webkit's daddy (KHTML; part of the Konqueror web browser) was lurking on that computer so I could've tried it at the time.

2. JDX Gold badge

Yeah because W8 isn't more resource-efficient than W7, which was better than Vista. Oh wait, it is.

And good job for failing at science, when they eliminate the baseline the fact it's W8 is not a factor.

1. M Gale

Yeah because W8 isn't more resource-efficient than W7, which was better than Vista. Oh wait, it is.

Yes because half the guts of IE aren't part of the OS and already running in the background, and Microsoft don't have a bunch of hidden API calls that other browser manufacturers can't reliably use.

Oh wait, they do.

And yet they can still only manage such slim margins over the browser with the renowned weight problem, Firefox? This... is not impressive.

3. Fatman

Running Windows 8. That's your problem right there.

FTFY!

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

WIthout a lot more details of the testing process

that whole comparison is pretty pointless.

I can't help feeling that a better comparison would be between browsers running out of the box, and browsers run with the minimum of scripts (ideally none) and with the adverts blocked... it's hard to see how much power is required to display a static image...

1. Richard 81

Re: WIthout a lot more details of the testing process

Research published by a vendor, in a public journal, that shows the vendor's product is best? Be critical.

Research published by a vendor, in a press release, that shows the vendor's product is best? Be thoroughly skeptical.

Research published by a vendor, in a press release, that shows the vendor's product is best but doesn't describe the method used? Ignore it, as it probably came straight from the marketing department with no actually research being carried out.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah right...

... and that tiny power saving is nothing compared to the power spent thrashing the hard drive for 4 minutes as my laptop starts up....

Frankly if this is how far MS have sunk then god help everyone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Start up

You might want to look into the use of the hibernation feature. It is very useful.

Less than ten seconds from cold to working with all of your programs still running as you left them. Much less wear on your disk.

My computers both desktop and laptop hardly ever need to be booted any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hibernation

How do people still not know about this and somehow not find out about it when they are moaning about boot-up times?

The technology has been supported since Windows 95.

Maybe, if you have a problem, rather than bleating moronically you could alternatively use the same general-purpose computing device you are sitting at or holding to perform a web search that may help you to solve the issue?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Hibernation

Yes. 20 people were happy to 'me too' when a comment is MS-bashing. Not one reader thought to suggest the appropriate use of well-established power management features or to question that a four-minute boot time is by no means normal on modern hardware and might indicate some kind of more serious fault.

Your machine did not take that long to start when it was new. The company that wrote the operating system software installed on your computer are not responsible for the durability of your hardware. All of the cruft and possibly malware you have installed since then is not their fault. The onus falls on you as the owner to perform suitable periodic maintenance.

Hell, a good start might be to defrag the disc - there's a boot-time optimisation switch for just this purpose.

I'm pretty sure that you actually have a brain - how about putting it to some use? It's amazing what one can achieve when one puts his or her mind to solving problems, rather than always expecting someone else to change your nappy for you.

Are they really that stupid? Yes. That is why we call them "commentards".

6. Neoc

Browser setup?

Hmmm... First of all, how about running on Windows7 (or even XP)?

Second - I couldn't see what configurations they used for the various browsers. Were they running with plugins? If so, which? Did they represent a standard home setup?

Inquiring minds want to-... ah, who cares - it's an MS propaganda piece. Never trust a paid-for piece that says the paid-for item is better than the others. I'll wait for independent testing, TYVM.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Browser setup?

Well IE9/10 doesn't run on XP for a start.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incomplete

The experiment only seems to measure power consumption in a static situation. Most browser use involves opening the browser, spending a period of time actually using the browser to achieve an aim and then closing it. The overall energy consumption is then significantly affected by how efficient the browser is - but that isn't tested.

So no : it's an interesting result, but not detailed enough to justify any meaningful conclusions.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Incomplete

I'm not sure why someone would open a browser, except if the power went off and they had to reboot. In any case, I just turned off JavaScript and the lights in the room got brighter, so you're probably right about the results not being detailed enough to justify any meaningful conclusions.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm the sort that doesn't leave things running in the background unless I actually want to use them in the near future, particularly browsers. Granted, if I'm in the minority then efficiency isn't necessarily significant.

I would have liked to have seen results based on representative operational scenarios, and these graphs sure aren't that.

It's all a bit academic, mind - (most) people choose browsers for what they do, not to be eco-friendly.

1. JDX Gold badge

Do you also make sure to turn off unused power sockets so the electricity doesn't leak out?

8. Tom 7

Sitting in the office in the dark saves power too.

Hardly fruitful though.

Same goes for IE - it needs a more power hungry OS to host it - or at least I assume it does: W8 requires at least a 1Mhz processor. I've used firefox on a 90Mhz pentium so that suggests it can run on 1/10th the power. This is a valid comparison as the above test.

1. M Gale
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: W8 on a 1Mhz processor

Now that I would like to see.

1. Fatman
        FAIL

Re: W8 on a 1Mhz processor

Now that I would like to see.

Time from cold power on to full desktop - 15 years!!!!

2. Teleporter
      Thumb Down

Re: Sitting in the office in the dark saves power too.

1/10th Clock Cycle != 1/10th power consumption.

3. Fatman

Re: Sitting in the office in the dark saves power too.

Also, getting rid of that 100w power sucking incandescent, and replacing it with a 15w CFL does the same thing.

</sarcasm>

9. John Doe 6

Awsome, now we only need...

...a version for OS X and another for Linux.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Muhahahaha

I have firefox/Adblock/flashblock and Internet Explorer on this corpo PC. The Internet Explorer "experience" is royal shit, because I can't block all those CPU-hungry flash ads, animated GIFs and all those other distractions. Just scrolling up and down with IE is a mess because it has to render some stupid commercial and it has to move that portion of the screen up and down.

Rendering movies and animated ads clearly is as power-hungry as it can get. So, factoing in Adblock and Flashblock, my guess is that firefox takes about 1/10th of energy consumption compared to Internet Explorer.

Regarding Fraunhofer, they are supposed to finance themselves by 70% from commercial funding and 30% from public funding. They had some massive successes in the past (e.g. MP3), but this smells of being the sales-bitch of M$. Nor much science to see here.

If they wanted to do real science, they should compare Flash player with VLC. I recently ran youtube videos properly using VLC, which would not run properly on the weak celeron Under Test using Flash Player.

1. dogged

Re: Muhahahaha

You can block most of the shit with a few TPLs.

Personally, I too run Firefox but let's not pretend IE = ads. It only does that if you're clueless.

11. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

The report is

During initial testing, we found that a variety of programs pre-installed by the computer manufacturers were resulting in significant fluctuations in computer power draw. Consequently, we removed all preinstalled software from all computers prior to testing and did a “clean” install of the operating system, Windows 8.

So the results are for computers maintained by a skilled Windows user, which is a tiny fraction of the installed base of home computers.

The dynamic benchmark test uses Microsoft's FishBowl benchmark, with 5 fish. Presumably this benchmark was optimised for IE, and not the others. The frame was not controlled. For all we know, Chrome and Firefox used more power because they had a higher frame rate.

(BTW, a Raspberry Pi uses at most 3.5Watts, and can update the FishBowl every 5 seconds at 1080p. Clearly Iceweasel on a Pi uses the least power ;-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bing vs. Google

Have you noticed in the graphs how much less all the browsers (even IE) use when using Google instead of Bing?

So please be nice to your planet and avoid the Microsoft search engine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bing vs. Google

Probably because google has a very plain homepage whereas bing has a nice, big picture with links in it, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Erm no, Bing is more efficient than google on chrome and ff but slightly less with IE. Save your criticisms for Yahoo.

1. Mattjimf

It would help if you both pointed out which graph you are referring to. The notebook graph shows Google to be less power hungry then Bing, whereas the desktop graph shows the opposite.

Which makes me wonder, why exactly that is the case?

13. DrXym

So what's the reason for this

Assuming the premise to be true, is it because Firefox are hitting the CPU more, making more use of the GPU, triggering the OS to go into a higher power consumption state, thrashing memory / disk more, or what?

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

Re: So what's the reason for this

I assume Its because IE has the advantage of undocumented API's that Microsoft can use that aren't available to Chrome and Firefox developers.

Noticed Opera wasn't included in the test, does that mean Opera wasn't tested or out performed IE i wonder?

1. DrXym

I doubt it has anything to do with undocumented APIs. Perhaps IE engineers have performance tuned their browser with respect to power consumption to look good in this study, or the other browsers are doing something which makes them look worse. I wouldn't leap to a conspiracy until such times as I knew the underlying reason.

2. Birdulon
      Linux

From what I've seen, Firefox does this (excess wakeups) a lot on Android and Linux. Not so much on Windows though. I wish that discrepancy would get sorted out (hopefully by fixing the Linux builds and not breaking the Windows ones)

14. Mark Simon

Might offset some of the Energy wasted trying to get things to work in IE

Any web developer knows that to finish a web project, you need to get it to work in modern browsers, an then to try to get it to work in IE10, then in IE9 then in IE8, then in IE7 then in IE6 …

Not to mention that one reason we can’t all use HTML5 is because Certain Legacy Browsers can’t handle it.

1. M Gale

Re: Might offset some of the Energy wasted trying to get things to work in IE

To be honest, there's a lot of sites now that are made to give up and gracefully degrade as best they can while warning you that you're using a POS* browser.

Granted, IE still has its, erm, ways.

*Particularly Obsolete Software

15. Mark Broadhurst
    FAIL

1 Watt ?

1 Freaking Watt ? It takes IE longer to render a page than other browsers so you will be consuming that one watt less for longer using IE.

Now I'm the biggest M$ fan but this just is a petty fail.

16. ukgnome
    Trollface

Bigger Picture Please

It may be less power hungry on a client PC but what is the overall cost in terms of power?

How much power does the development office use compared to the others?

How much power do the development servers use compared to the other?

How much power is used in getting the developers to work?

Do the developers take pack up? Or do they use a canteen?

17. Birdulon

Methodology

> Baseline: No browsers or other windows open

It is my understanding that Internet Explorer is so tightly integrated into Windows that parts of it are always running, which is often brought up in cold start comparisons between browsers. If this is the case then it would imply part of Internet Explorer's resource usage is included in the baseline. Perhaps further tests should be conducted with all three browsers open at the same time, and only one visiting a site at any given time?

>In addition, at the request of Microsoft we set the JavaScript timer frequency to “conserve power” in

the Windows power options. We found, however, that the default Javascript time frequency for all

computers tested was set to “maximum performance.” We did not investigate the impact of this setting

upon browser power draw.

I have to wonder if Firefox and Chrome use this system setting. It seems odd that they wouldn't run another set of tests at the default setting if nothing else.

18. koma
    FAIL

of course

If you render only half the featurers...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: of course

Who are those "featurers", why do they need to be rendered and has FÜHRERPRESIDENT Obama been informed by the CIA about this?

19. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Linux

A few points:

1 - This was Microsoft commissioned. And Microsoft seem to have influenced the tests at a technical level. The test report specifically states:

a) ...We purchased 10 computers specified by Microsoft...

b) ...At the request of Microsoft we set the Javascript timer frequency to 'conserve power' in the Windows Power options....

One wonders why Microsoft were so anxious for THOSE computers to be used...?

2 - There is NO indication that the tests actually measured like-for-like. For instance, Chrome might actually be doing more work in caching and preparing the web site for better presentation than IE - which would naturally result in a slightly increased power draw.

3 - I use Opera, so I don't need to get involved in silly prick-measuring contests :)

1. Matthew 3

Re: A few points:

I've used lots of browsers over the years and not one of them has asked for a prick measurement. Are you sure that you're visiting the right websites?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I installed the prick measuring extension for Firefox

but I got rid of it when for some reason it sent me here.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like