Feeds

back to article Microsoft announces $499 price tag, new games for Xbox One

Microsoft has used the annual E3 gaming conference in Los Angeles to announce the launch pricing for its new Xbox console and – surprise, surprise – it's UK gamers who will be paying more than anyone else for the kit. US consumers will pay $499 for a bundle including the Xbox, Kinect gesture control system, and a single Xbox …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

As you can imagine this didn't go down so well, if it weren't for £429 for a glorified licence on a console you hardly own anything on....they would have succeeded hard

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: XBox - is a Licence fee

Add to it that the XBox had already pimped gamers for far too long with charging for online play (that's sooooo 1996), it seems that they finally have put the final nail in the XBox coffin.

And with Windows 8 being the massive boat of FAIL, this means they're really going down this time!

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

The One is such a piece of DRM'd shit that Eadon doesn't even get downvoted for calling it crap.

Facepalm

@Eadon - Be careful. people are agreeing with you, we know that this is new territory for you. good luck in the brave new world.

Joking aside, I generally liked quite a few of the last round of MS products. Windows 7 is great and although i haven't used Win8 a lot, it seems ok, even if the modern UI / start button issue was a bit iffy. I've got a WP8 phone, and i really like that as well.

X360 is good, and i don't mind paying for live (for about £30/year i feel that i got value out of it). i buy pretty much all of my X360 games new, and it is left in the front room connected to the internet via a fairly stable (certainly stable enough) connection.

and yet.

I cannot see myself getting an XBOX one as it is currently. I've not really heard anything about the games or any new features apart from the DRM. i guess that companies need to try new stuff every once in a while, but MS have definitely gone too far with the DRM on their games. it just swings the balance too far in their favour and i'm not sure that people will go with it.

It's got me seriously considering a playstation for the first time in 15 years...

Anonymous Coward

this sums it up

Can't really add anything

http://www.destructoid.com//ul/255967-image.jpg

Silver badge

Re: this sums it up

This particular video has been doing brisk business on the interwebs this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

*snerk*

Just watched the video...

Oh, fuck, SO owned!!!!!

I have two xbox 360, and i must say.... Next console will be a PS4...

FAIL

""too many school kids out there will guarantee that enough sales will happen for MS""

In the US it won't. Most kids don't have jobs, their parents salaries/paychecks have been stagnant for years, and the college kids are broke for the most part also and are going to be in debt for years.

As for me I hate MMO no matter what. I don't play well with others.

Silver badge

Just watched the video - haven't properly lol'd for weeks until now :D priceless advertising for Sony.

All they need to now is sit back, not fuck up, and watch M$ tie themselves in knots trying to undo the damage they have done.

Silver badge

Yes the X Box has been such a massive fail. And with 100 million licences, Windows 8 is such a fail.

Seriously - I was criticising MS before it was trendy back in the 90s, and I have no opinion when it comes to X Box vs Playstation but let's try to have some objectivity. If there's something worse than people predicting a fail and then being wrong, it's when people try to claim it's a fail even when it's already turned out not to be the case. Yet I bet you think iphone's one million sales taking 76 days was an amazing success.

And remember, the people who want to play games but don't like locked down systems aren't buying consoles, they're buying PCs (most of them running the OS that you don't like). I don't like how most consolves have been locked down (rare exceptions being the upcoming Ouya, or I don't know, the 1993 Amiga CD32).

Silver badge

PS - apologies if your post was actually a parody. I honestly can't tell (Poe's law).

Silver badge
FAIL

" I generally liked quite a few of the last round of MS products. Windows 7 is great"

It's a sad state of affairs when people call something like Windows 7 "great". I've used windows 7, and it's much better than any of the previous efforts, and crashes less, It's tolerable, but then I'm using a double core 4GB ram system.

The GUI is great, but the actual OS still suffers from the crap that it's always suffered from. The ridiculous RAM requirement - the inefficient disk swapping - the general disk I/O - the fact they still use a 'defragmented disk' scheme rather than a 'defragmented file' scheme, causing terrible defragmentation. Still, in this day and age, an OS that gets slower just because you install stuff on it.

The OS part of windows is still in the stone age. It's not so noticeable these days because systems have lots of RAM, fast CPU's, and fast/quiet disks - but the problems still exist.

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

> This particular video has been doing brisk business on the interwebs this morning:

That is so friggin's awesome :D

Brought a smile to my face.

Anonymous Coward

Comparing like with like

UK price is actually £357.50 + £71.50 tax, the US price quoted $499 does not include sales tax. So UK is paying 10% than USA more comparing like with like. Interesting to see if retailer sell at list price or if the list price is intended to allow for discounts.

Still not seen many reasons to buy until there are more games and price goes down next year.

Next lets see what Sony have to say about PS4.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Comparing like with like

Some states do not have sales tax and you can order online from a plethora of retailers so that you can get free shipping and no sales tax. So, there is a good chance there is no sales tax to add.

Silver badge

Next lets see what Sony have to say about PS4.

I dunno. Maybe the boss might just walk on, say "$299", and walk off again? Not like it hasn't happened before. And then the year after.

Only a handful of states have no sales tax, while half of all states impose a 'use tax' on internet purchases. Of course many do not pay this tax, but not paying does not mean you're not supposed to pay.

On top of that, Amazon charges sales tax in nine states (yes there are other online retailers, but they are certainly the largest) so your good chance of not being taxed might not be as good as you first thought.

FAIL

The average US sales tax is only 5%, or $25 on a $499 XBox, so with 5% tax included Microsoft are still charging over £90/€100 markup on the US price. And as already posted above, it's easy to avoid paying the local state sales tax entirely.

Silver badge
Happy

That 5% figure is based on fairly skewed numbers. Some states do not have sales tax at all. Where I'm at I pay 7% State sales tax, 2% county sales tax and a 1.35% city sales tax.

Your points are totally valid, I just wanted to point out the US sales tax laws are screwy and published sales tax averages rarely give a complete outline of the situation. The places with no sales tax are generally lower population states but their impact on the averages is quite large.

Alert

$399... no restrictions on sharing and after market.... no always connected DRM...

*walks off*

thats basically what i saw when i watched the coverage. Sony has this one in the bag even tho i still have not forgiven them for the PS3 "other OS" fuster-cluck.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/06/10/sony-confirms-no-changes-to-used-games-on-ps4-no-internet-connection-required/

Silver badge

So I guess that's that for MS then.

Okay, so before tax in the UK it is £357, at todays currency rates that means the equivalent in the US should be $556, or working the other way $499 in the USA would be £320. "But that's only £37 difference" if the One sells as many as the 360 in the UK, thats 8m units x £37 = £296m extra profit.

Anonymous Coward

Sony just destroyed Microsoft. Better hardware specs lower price no restrictions and PS3 backwards compatibility BOOM

JC_

the One sells as many as the 360 in the UK, that's 8m units x £37 = £296m extra profit.

Only if all other things are equal, which they aren't.

For example, you like those consumer protection laws in the UK that ensure a product has to be fit for purpose? I certainly do, but there's a price to pay in preventing manufacturers from saying "tough shit" when something expensive breaks down after 366 days and that will be included in the inflated number.

Anonymous Coward

So, PS4 launches at £349 (UK including tax), $399 (US excluding). PlayStation Camera is £44 ($59). So like for like (sort of) its XBO at £429 v PS4 at £383.

Not a huge difference but why the hell Microsoft didn't launch at £399? They will spend far more than £30/unit on extra advertising to try to counter the used games messaging fiasco.

Silver badge

> PS3 backwards compatibility

I didn't think that the new Playstation was going to be PS3 compatible (if you mean games).

The new console is x86-based and nothing like Cell.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

> I didn't think that the new Playstation was going to be PS3 compatible

Ah, strike that, just seen the new streaming option.

They have not come out and said upfront that it is going to happen, but are talking about some kind of streaming/emulation -- through Gaikai (which they just happen to own now). Wont be until next year at least, or how it works in practice.....The whole do I use games I already own for free or have to rebuy? hasn't been mentioned yet.

Silver badge

Extras

Does it include an updated Red Ring of Death feature? The only reason I won't preorder one is the miserable experience I had getting my 1st gen 360 sorted out. I'll wait a while thank you.

Bronze badge
Joke

But??

Does it run Windows Vista??

Bronze badge
Devil

Re: But??

Nope, it runs Windows 8, Special Eadon Edition.

Paris Hilton

Re: But??

But its a "Walled Garden" of Eadon!

Silver badge
Thumb Down

including VAT/Sales taxes?

Just out of curiosity, what taxes are included in those headline prices?

US prices are usually advertised sans sales tax as that varies from state to states and even city to city.

Quoting a "European" price without mentioning if it is sans tax is odd too as VAT varies from country to country.

Are we to assume that the quoted prices are all sans VAT/sales tax and therefore will be significant;y higher?

It'd be nice if this sort of things was made more clear in Reg articles. It seems to me that this is rarely the case and smells of sloppiness.

Silver badge

Re: including VAT/Sales taxes?

It's illegal to advertise consumer products without VAT.

You have to claim that you are a trade supplier most of your customers are VAT registered to get away with it (cough ebyuer cough)

Even allowing for VAT on UK prices, there is a £37 mark up on what they sell for in the US.

Silver badge
Childcatcher

"It's illegal to advertise consumer products without VAT."

True. But I was commenting on a Reg article purporting to compare prices and which had an underlying agenda of "look, Brits are being ripped off again!"

Bronze badge
FAIL

So, does everyone else smell the fear and desperation that is Microsoft...?

Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft is including a free 14-day trial of Xbox Live Gold for new buyers, and all Gold subscribers will get two free Xbox 360 game downloads per month until the end of the year. That won't be much help for new console buyers, since the 360 titles aren't compatible with the new system."

Yep, sounds like something Microsoft would do. They listen to the customers and then ignore it as well. So the chance of this getting fixed is slim to none.

Microsoft really just continues to show that they are out of touch with the consumer. If this fails, does that mean Balmer goes too?

Silver badge

Come on man. Be reasonable, 14 days of Xbox Live is a $4.99 value! What else can they do to get you to spend your $500 and replace your game collection? What do you want, backwards compatibility or some pie in the sky shit like that?

Anonymous Coward

Middle of the Atlantic tax

Ships and planes cost money. Or, they can just be floated across from Calais for free.

Heh.

I have two friends who are Xbox 360 fanboys to the extreme. The XBone has done the unthinkable...alienated and angered them both and the silly thing isn't even out on the streets yet. The one guy, someone who hates Sony up and down, told me that he'd consider looking at the PS4.

At this point Sony would have to make a real effort to screw up. But given Sony...

Bronze badge
Pirate

Re: XBone

Is that XB-one, X-Bone, or Crossbone?

Trollface

it's read x-bone, I let you figure out why yourself

Silver badge

I read it as XBoned, because this console is royally.

FAIL

Re: Heh.

In a similar boat. Not a fanboy for console brands but went for a 360 over ps3 due to Sony's historic shafting of Europe with the ps2 (huge delays, huge pricing and a general screw you attitude).

Microsoft have resorted to type: mandatory connect, once daily internet check (took me 8 weeks to get a connection when moving house) and 10 user limit are all pointless dick moves. Not sure if i will get a PS4 or return to PC only again but will not be buying an xbone

Go

XBox One: Too expensive, too restrictive, heading for a FAIL

If Sony can significantly undercut Microsoft with the price of the PS4, and avoid blowing their own feet off by repeating Microsoft's mistake with overly restrictive DRM and killing the pre-owned market, then Sony will have a huge advantage when they come to market.

Sony now has a golden opportunity to outmanoeuvre Microsoft on price and policy, however I have a sneaking suspicion they'll stuff it up on both counts.

Overpriced consoles, £50 games that you don't really own, and require an always-on connection just to play - if this is what comes to pass with both Sony and Microsoft I think it's most likely the beginning of the end for the high end games consoles. It's going to be much cheaper and just as much fun to own (really own) and play something like an Ouya, or Gamestick (under £100 to buy, with £5 games etc.).

Anonymous Coward

Re: XBox One: Too expensive, too restrictive, heading for a FAIL

They just did this. They also thrown in ps3 game streaming too, and ps* gives you free games.

Re: XBox One: Too expensive, too restrictive, heading for a FAIL

As already noted, Sony have just done this.

I expect I'll end up with both consoles over time (I have XBox360 & PS3 already), but I'm now definitely ordering the PS4 first. In fact, I'm going to see how the DRM stuff pans out in practice before I order the new XB, so I may not buy one for several years (if at all).

I don't play games online, so I don't need to have a subscription to PSN, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed that I'd need XB Gold to be able to use half the functionality of the XB1.

Seriously, what's up with MS these days? They bring out a half decent mobile OS and then ruin their desktop OS by plastering the unsuitable interface all over it and now they've taken a decent gaming system and then tied it's feet together before asking it to run a sprint race against it's main competitor.

Has someone told them people often root for the plucky underdog so they're now trying to become the underdog to gain public approval?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.