Feeds

back to article Report: Cloud could slash biz software energy use by 87%

If every US company would shift its core business-software applications from in-house equipment to the cloud, the amount of energy used by that software could be reduced by as much as 87 per cent, a new study claims. The study, which was published on Tuesday, was conducted by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory – a government …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Up, down?

Mail servers tend to be always full and overused. So I really don't see how increasing data transfers will improve things. Did they take in account that?

I only see room for small companies.. and many (most) of those use external (now "Cloud") mail services.

As for big comanies with small branches.. well, these days many of them don't have distributed systems: they have central servers and the users connect remotely. This is done in order to save power and space: so no gain here.

As for CRM.. well, here I do see gains, as many small companies still have legacy systems (SAP for SMEs anyone?). Question is.. who are you going to trust with your data?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Re: Up, down?

No. They are thinking of people who use their mailbox as a database. Data is data and a lot of data is STILL a lot of data.

Bronze badge

Re: Up, down?

No you can't run a mail server that does anything to a raspberry pi. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but while in theory you could substitute trucks by cargo bikes.. it won't work.

A decent mail server, with 3000 users, and 20 mails (in/out) per day, that is 60.000 mails per day.

At 40K (work related) that is arround 2,5 GB.

Now sync that with clients, and you get 5 GB , plus protocols, etc.

Probably, more arround 10 GB.

As each of your 2.000 users will have at least 350 MB (and you are really cheap if you do that), then you need about 1 GB of storage.

And that is being cheap and a small server.

So no, you can't do that with a raspberry.

As for Exchange being THAT inefficient.. well, no.

Maybe you could put some barebones system, pop3/smtp style.. but that is something different.. just

install exchange server 2010 and see the difference in HDD requirements..

Your server, of course, will have high activity during business hours, not during the night, but almost the same will happen to the "cloud" server, as you have to serve people from a relatively near place.. you might get maybe 20% more "high use hours", nothing more.

Of course, if you live in the cloud, you have to transmit all that data.. and last time I checked 1 Gb ethernet was really cheap, and 10 Gb for the server, had an acceptable price. Now, 10 Gb internet connections are incredibly expensive.

Anonymous Coward

Call me a skeptic..

I can see the marketing teams at the "Cloud" providers minds ticking away..

6 Months ago - OK so people have cottoned on that we're not as cheap and we can't solve every problem. what next?

6 Weeks ago - I know, lets pay some academics that can deliver "proof" of other places we can save money

Today - El Reg publicizes said paper..

Holmes

Re: Energy savings directly proportional to an efficient OS kernel - e.g. Linux

And they also would like all of your data to browse through just in case you might be a terrorist course.

Silver badge

Speaking as a GNU/Linux user...do shut up. GNU/Linux has a lot of baggage too.

If you choose your tech on dogma, you are doomed to fail.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon

Your a moron!

Headless linux can be efficient, but likewise so can core Windows. By the time you tack on X, a Windows Manager and a few apps, your just as bloated as Windows.

Silver badge
FAIL

Linux code is so tight it is 4x more efficient than Windows corporate bloatware. Windows is intrinsically slow due to bloated Win 32 and crap like COM and .NET and "undocumented" API's

Eadon, stop spouting shit you know so obviously know nothing about.

I'm not sure what you think you mean by "tight" code but, with relation to performance, code density refers to the machine code that runs on the processor and is dependent upon the instruction set of the processor and the compiler. Windows MFC was a bag of shit but If COM didn't exist, programmers would invent it and indeed they have, several times, for un*x. Same goes for .NET - used properly it makes everyone's life easier or do you think that application programmers should go back to the days of writing their own video and printer drivers? And undocumented APIs don't bloat anything, they just make life as a developer harder.

Big Brother

Funded by the NSA?

I'm guessing it would be a lot easier to spy on 47,000 email servers in a few central locations than 3.6 Million email servers scattered all over the place.

Silver badge

Re: Funded by the NSA?

On the positive side, a FOI request means you don't need to keep your own backups

Silver badge

Stats

Customer power use : down 87%

NSA power use : [redacted]%

GCHQ power use : [redacted]%

There is nothing to see here...that is not an intercept data centre...it's...err...a LAN party for rich kids. Yeah.

Who is going to use the public cloud now? Specifically any cloud run by a USA company, hosted there or in an USA subservient state (e.g. UK).

Re: Stats

I wondered why they were giving away so much free cloud storage.

JLV
Bronze badge
Trollface

>just 4,390 servers, down from 73,000 servers

not 4389 or 4391 then. exactly 4390.

real scientists do it with precision!

WTF?

Shades of IBM

"There's a world market for maybe 85,000 computers." Ha.

Also, where's the love for on-premise clouds? You could get a lot of the same energy benefits from that (or, for smaller organizations, simple virtualization setups) without having to outsource everything to Mountain View.

WTF?

Seems Legit

"f every US company would shift its core business-software applications from in-house equipment to the cloud .."

Ooh yes, let's all outsource our core business apps .. what could possibly go wrong ..

Silver badge
Coat

News just in...

...A study which had funding and support from a large cloud vendor says that cloud services can save electricity (And hence save users money and cute polar bear cubs)

Later: Announcement expected about the Pope's religion.

Silver badge
Alert

Remind us again?

How's that cloud thing working out?

Facepalm

Irony?

Reading an article on how much energy cloud computing will save, because a cloud computing application is down?

I only ask as our Salesforce connection is unavailable or rather the "application scheduled downtime extended" for 2 hours this morning.

Also

If we all travelled by bus & train and left cars our at home that would save a lot of energy too.

Again easier for NSA to keep tabs on us.

This topic is closed for new posts.