Feeds

back to article Cold, dead hands of Steve Jobs slip from iPhones: The Cult of Ive is upon us

Despite including the biggest changes to an Apple line since the iPhone launch, the fruity giant's iOS 7 is basically a series of odds-and-ends first seen on competitors' devices - and glossed with some Cupertino sparkle to make it shine. It's easy to poke fun at Apple when its designers refer to "a whole new experience of depth …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Devil

Next up...

...Apple 'invents' wireless charging. Everyone borrows from each other but it is annoying to see the average user proclaiming how 'innovative' Apple stuff is when patently is is not. I have to admit that iOS7 does looks nice, but yeah, that's 'cause it looks like Meego, webOS and Meego

Anonymous Coward

Re: Next up...

Cue the gnashing of teeth and hate filled atmosphere of the Fandroids.

So the iPhone has less features than the new Samsung, but be honest with yourselves, it's easy to pack a phone with features and technology and a higher pixel count screen, but if the features are useless or don't work properly and your eyes can't tell the difference in pixel density what is the point? It's an exercise in waste.

What do you really need a smart phone for? Strip away everything you don't need, don't want or is useless to use and you are left with an iPhone.

Trollface

Re: Next up...

> but if the features are useless or don't work properly and your eyes can't tell the difference in pixel density

Like Siri, Maps and 'Retina' display then?

FAIL

Put an iPhone beside a...

Put it beside a top of the range Android phone, and not only it still looks old, but it also looks more like a bad copy. But I guess fanbois will be claiming all the stuff copied from Android was indeed invented by apple... :)

PS: I don't get it with the flat icons, to me they look ugly and incomplete. But I guess fanbois will also laud them now as the greatest design invention by apple...

g e
Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Put an iPhone beside a...

They look like a phone from 7 years ago. Mostly because they still look like a phone from 7 years ago with different degerees of rounded corners.

IOS version 7 and they still can't display a lower case keyboard, either.

iOS quite clearly needed a refresh, and flat is the current in design, I'm sure gradients will be back but for now it needed to be changed.

Icons are really difficult to get them to look good, but these new ones really don't cut it, especially the new safari one, it does not look like it was designed by a professional. This concept did a whole lot better job of making the icons look both flat and professional, I almost thought it was the real thing when I googled it:

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/iOS-7-concept-Simply-Zesty.jpg

Just compare the app store icon to the real apple one

WTF?

I didnt cotton onto this.......you mean when you're typing in lower case, it shows the keyboard in upper case? how do you know visually which case the characters are going to be typed in? a highlight on the shift key?

sounds confusing....

Bronze badge

@Chris Thomas Alpha

exactly that - the shift key (an upwards pointing arrow) is filled in instead of outlined

Facepalm

I always found it perplexing and when given an iPhone to type a message on spent a few seconds pressing the shift key to turn off the caps lock!

FAIL

"exactly that - the shift key (an upwards pointing arrow) is filled in instead of outlined"

that is a truly terrible bit of user interface design

No no, you're using all the other keyboards wrong...

Isn't that how that sort of glaring stupidity is considered?!?

Gold badge
FAIL

Even funnier, when you give your iPhone to someone who's blind to try out, and stick the screen-reader on he hits a letter and it says "capital T". That's not because shift has been pressed and that's what he's going to get but because it's reading the button he hit on the screen, and the keyboard only shows caps. Now that's crap.

Although I believe the RNIB still recommend the iPhone, and I don't think any of the others can muster anything close to the aids that the iPhone has built in.

Anonymous Coward

"it does not look like it was designed by a professional.". It's probably one of the ones that Ives has done.

Anonymous Coward

Not a defence per se, but that is exactly how a typewriter (or keyboard) works, and the idea was to emulate something else, not invent something new.

A reasonable design goal given the state of play half a decade ago when essentially no one had a touch keyboard.

Personally, I think it is an excellent idea to flip the keyboard case, and trivial to implement. I want them to implement it in the keys on the MacAir!

However, Apple decided (and make no mistake, it was a decision) to emulate the keyboard.

Bronze badge

Re:iPhone keyboard

How does the iPhone keyboard offer extended characters? By that, I mean all those accents, graves etc. used in non-English words? For example, I have Swype, and a long press on the "a" key first gives me the @ character, hold a little longer and 11 options appear... aàáâãäåæ©@ᵃ

Never used one and the keys give no indication of there being any extra functionality.

Just wondering.

Angel

RNIB

" I believe the RNIB still recommend the iPhone"

It's the Jesus phone. It can make the blind see and the lame walk!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re:iPhone keyboard

Just so. Hold the key a little longer and choose from the list, since long before Swype appeared.

Bronze badge

> A reasonable design goal given the state of play half a decade ago when essentially no one had a touch keyboard.

The Sony Ericsson P800 came out a decade ago (2003), and its on-screen keyboard flipped case, and even keyboard character set depending on language. The outlined shift key to indicate case isn't so good because they're covered by thumbs!

Silver badge

Re: Re:iPhone keyboard (@thesykes)

At least in iOS 1–6, you just long press the letter and a popup shows the options. Slide your finger to the one you want and release. Options for the long press on a are aàáâäæãåā. The copyright symbol seems to be available only on the emoji keyboard as far as I can see, @ is accessible on the symbols page and I failed to find a superscript but that doesn't mean it isn't in there. I'd have been unlikely to guess that § is paired with & for example.

FAIL

but that is exactly how a typewriter (or keyboard) works, and the idea was to emulate something else, not invent something new.

But isn't one of the the big point of the iOS7 "refresh" supposed to be that they get rid of so-called "skeuomorphism"?

Why make your on-screen keyboard emulate a dumb physical keyboard when it can actually show you exactly what character it will actually place? Should it use "Alt" codes (like a physical keyboard) for "smilies" and other emoticons as well?

Angel

Apple Invents

"the fruity giant's iOS 7 is basically a series of odds-and-ends first seen on competitors' devices - and glossed with some Cupertino sparkle to make it shine."

We all see Apple for what they are, but they do have great pixie dust. I wonder what they could do with a turd ?

Genuinely interested to see this new interface, maybe they will invent the 'Back Button' ;-)

g e
Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Apple Invents

You could always post one to Cupertino to see...

Silver badge

You can't polish a turd...

(But you can roll it in pixie dust)

Silver badge

as it turns out, you actually CAN polish a turd. Probably not surprisingly, they went to a Japanese art to figure this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI

8 year old with paint

Icons look to me like someone gave an 8 year old a picture of the iOS6 screen and told them to copy the icons using paint.

g e
Silver badge

Re: 8 year old with paint

Maybe Ive's kids designed it then

Holmes

Does it do widgets?

Does it do widgets? This to me is the biggest difference between Android and IOS. Redesigned icons are neither here nor there.

I have an Android phone (HTC Desire S) and an iPad2 . I find Android much more useful for 'at a glance' info since I'm able to configure the home screens to show me stuff I want to know regularly in the form of widgets.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Does it do widgets?

No it doesn't do widgets. That would require:

• Apple to admit Google got it right
  • A major rework of iOS far beyond the iOS7 tweaks

Gold badge

I'm not sure I really miss widgets on my phone, since I moved from Android to Windows Phone and finally to iOS. I had the best widgets, then mediocre ones, and now just badges. What I really liked about setting up my Android home screen was the ability to have different sized icons. So the most important icons can really be made to stand out, by having them double or even 4 times bigger. That way, I can select them quickly, even when I'm only half looking. Widgets were just a nice-to-have feature. Obviously others may disagree - and that's why it's good we have several competing OSes.

Just allowing this would do wonders for that nasty confusing grid of icons which is iOS. Would improve having to wade through 6 screens of 20 similar icons each, to find the one you want.

FAIL

Having widgets showing my upcoming appointments and latest emails all at a glance is indispensible to me. Had it on Windows Mobile back in 2006 on my HTC, then on my Nokia E71, 72 and C7, now on my Samsung Android phone and Tab. I honestly could not imagine iOS would not support widgets and I never noticed on my colleagues and friends iToys that it was missing, I just assumed it was out of view on the next home screen. Wow. that's one of the biggest ever fails I can imagine and further proof that the iHerd convince themselves even more that what they have is by far the best, even when it's not.

Silver badge

Every time there's a new OS update or phone from them, my usual reaction is "You mean they didn't already have that??"

PJI
Bronze badge

"... having to wade through 6 screens of 20 similar icons each,...".

I feel that there must be a better way than icons or widgets. I imagine live icons, i.e. widgets, use a lot more power and I value battery life, as they imply that the application is running.

Anyway, you can organise the icons into folders. So you can cut it down to one screen of folders if you find navigating between screens tiresome.

Bronze badge

You imagine wrong. On average, by far the biggest battery killer appears to be the screen, widgets make no discernible difference to my battery life.

Suppose it depends on the widget, but, on my phone I have a switch widget, which uses no power unless I click on one of the switches. A calendar, which shows static data (sync turned off). A 3G usage and data usage widget, which only update when needed. Add in a music player which again does nothing most of the time and quick access widget to various media apps.

If however you decide yo have live Facebook & Twitter feeds constantly churning away on your home screen, your battery will no doubt curl up and die pretty quickly. And it'd serve you right too.

Can you nest the folders?

Android doesn't do that but I'm running Lightning Launcher over here on my Nexus.

Brilliant!

Ps. I can also have widgets within folders!

FAIL

Most iPhad users don'teven know what a widget is (let alone a scrollable widget). For me smartphone or tablet would be useless without them, I get nearly all my daily info without ever 'opening' an app, all info is on the desktops, updated all of the time. Of course iPhad's do not even have that, a desktop.

I've been using widgets on my Macs for years. Hit the F12 key and the screen changes to show all my widgets. I too use to use them a lot more but now only have a few.

On my iPhone 5 I've set up folders as categories and organize all my apps into these on the home page. I keep games on page 2 and that's it. I love using folders and give them names in all caps for easy reading. I hated flipping through numerous pages of apps.

Devil

apple copied palm and then android for it's multitasking

in ICS and Jelly Bean, when you open the application switcher, they appear like cards, contain actual window contents and you can flick them to the side or upwards depending on the orientation of the device to indicate to close or dismiss an application.

palm had the first implementation of this, but android followed suit and then apple?

sure, wow....innovation right? just like the apple notification area isnt a more basic version of the android notification area, what are they going to copy next? widgets in the main screens? or is that still off the table cause it wastes battery? odd, since my htc one x goes a day without charging and has main screens full of apps.....

Anonymous Coward

The fact that iPhone is continuing to lose market share says iPhone owners are nothing more than Fad Whores!

Anonymous Coward

So if they all go out and buy Android phones does that make Android owners "Fad Whores"?

Silver badge

Umm, except that iPhone sales are up 40% year-on-year. It has decreasing marketshare in a rapidly growing market, not really allowing us to conclude anything much about the individuals.

Anonymous Coward

"By repainting the exterior and adding some new features, Apple has taken the wind from its rivals and made the iPhone desirable again, or at least that's the hope."

W O W, desperate!

Facepalm

Jesus christ you people can't half whine, don't like it - don't buy one?

Problem solved

Go

well, it's not that, yes, to avoid this "innovation" we can just not buy one, but it's that this is practically forced down our throats through the tech media that we just get all rowdy and pi**ed about it and if they didnt patently lie about their innovations they clearly stole from somebody else and proclaimed it's the next best thing, nobody would care, but they are all the time crying on and on about how innovative they are that people feel the need to spend energy rubbishing their claims and making fanbois cry about it

Anonymous Coward

I don't think you make "fanbois" cry, they just wonder why you get so worked up about a phone you don't own.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

You ain't seen nothing yet

Have a look at the comments on the windows 8 articles!

Nuclear bomb as a flame seemed too under stated

Anonymous Coward

Problem solved?

Not really. We are all indulging in a bit of "schadenfreude" as Apple fades away after having years of arrogant to$$ers$ showing off their shiny toys, believing that they were superior to the rest of us for choosing apple and believing they were richer by being able to afford one, etc, etc. One can ignire it for a while, but they would not stop. In the meantime android, windows and even Nokia's various platforms and devices are better than iOs ones by a fair margin, yet the fanbois still delude themselves, but even more so. It's funny and yes there is a slightly sadistic streak in us, i.e, schadenfreude, watching them sink.

Silver badge

But then I wonder why people get so worked up in the first place - e.g., the media giving loads of hype even before the product is released, or strangers in the pub interrupting a private conversation about Android to evangalise about their iphones (yes, this has happened to me).

This at least is a forum to discuss technological products. If you're going to play the "why care, it's only a phone" card, then that point should be put to the people and media who are talking loudest about one particular platform/company, all over the place.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Problem solved?

Dear dear! I suppose Apple's sin was to make the first such mobile that actually became popular, made a profit and created the market for the others.

Tell you what: I believe there are still plenty of excellent, simple, low cost mobile telephones available, both new and second hand, actually out-selling the "smart phones", world wide. Just go and get one. Ignore the latest stuff if you do not need it.

Or shut up and be grateful that Apple had the design ability to make something we all wanted.

PJI
Bronze badge

trying to find

your similar comments after the recent Samsung and Microsoft presentations or about the mountains of HTC and other advertisements assaulting me daily.

Silver badge

You're so perturbed by all this Apple talk that you came on to the register, read a story on it, read the comments, and then replied to someone about it. Frothy.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.