back to article IBM to port KVM hypervisor to Power-Linux iron

IBM announced at the Red Hat Summit in Boston this Tuesday that it will support the KVM hypervisor on its PowerLinux machines to help boost its competitive position against x86 iron. In addition, since Big Blue wants and needs to sell more Power Systems rack and tower iron as well as their brethren in the PureFlex modular system …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Ah, IBM the mighty giant

It's not too late to reinvent yourself again. Yet.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah, IBM the mighty giant

I think it is already too late - IBM are a Dodo sustained only by their dwindling captive customer base.

Most of the rest of the world already uses vSphere or Hyper-V - this is a complete irrelevance....

IBM are desperately trying to avoid supporting the Microsoft market dominating ecosystem, and are burying themselves in the process....

Anonymous Coward

As you pointed out, Power is only relevant to the UNIX marketplace and that market is shrinking faster then...... PowerLinux has been completely irrelevant to everyone in the Linux marketplace accept for existing Big Blue customers for years. Even die hard customers are going elsewhere. Why? Very customer relevant things like component cost, cost per watt to operate, overall TCA/TCO and general price performance, performance per thread, interoperability and management in heterogeneous environments, operational complexity, availability and support of peripherals customers actually need, etc. etc. When it comes to Linux and Open Source, community support for an given architecture is the cornerstone for its success. "Community" support that isn't directly funded by, or more likely directly (or indirectly) executed by IBM is less then stellar to put it kindly. Sorry, but KVM on PowerLinux is several years late and way too many dollars short. Even the name PowerLinux is confusing to the marketplace - is it HW, an IBM Linux distribution or a floor wax? HW has become a really expensive enabler at IBM. Too bad really.

P795 64-cpus??

I thought the P795 has 32 sockets, right? I am quite sure it has 32 cpus. Fujitsu and HP have 64 socket Unix servers today, but not IBM.

IBM needs to reinvent to POWER servers, and by that, I dont mean to transform them to Linux servers. x86 are cheaper and have almost the same performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums