back to article Curtain drops on Apple Store ahead of WWDC: What lies behind?

Apple has pulled down its online store in accordance with tradition ahead of the WWDC, an annual love-in allowing fanbois to glimpse the fruity firm's latest products. Cupertino has been extra-specially tight-lipped about what exactly they will be showing fanbois at this year's conference, but a few clues have leaked out. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another rip off in waiting

Am I supposed to already get a hard on over nothing!

Fanbois already dribbling at the mouth, to empty their pockets.

Jesus lives! Hallelujah.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another rip off in waiting

No one cares about this Apple non event - Where is the Xbox One E3 report??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Another rip off in waiting

Still no touch and gesture support yet? Oh dear, Microsoft are going to wipe the floor with them....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what to expect?

Lots of orgasmic gasps as iOS 7 is unveiled, showcasing features ripped from Android and Windows Phone, and invented by Apple. (a la drop down notifications)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what to expect?

I was right... the "all new features"...

Control Center... as in Android Jelly Bean

Notifications... as in Android since... well...

Multitasking... now, where have I seen an option to swipe away recently used apps?

Camera... panoramic pics... so, which Korean company did that recently? Black and white? really?

Photos... grouping by time... yep, Android 2.3, probably earlier, group by location, tags.. JellyBean

Photo sharing... Picasa ring any bells?

AirDrop... so, finally Apple catch up with Nokia circa .... well so long since I first Bluetoothed files I forget when it was

As the next "features" were radio, siri and the App Store I gave up even trying to find anything new here.

Still, I expect the Apple lovers will be on their second box of Kleenex by now over these exciting new innovations.

3. Lost in Cyberspace

Actually,

I always look forward to WWDC - not so I can salivate at the new Apple stuff, but with interest as to what my existing iPhone and iPad will be able to do in 4 months time.

Not a fanboi, just nice to know that most of the ios announcements will apply to me. Not just a small subset of users, with the latest version of a device, and at some point in the distant future, an update just might arrive.

Yes I know that ios varies a little across devices - but unlike my Android devices, I do actually get proper updates occasionally.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Actually,

So you must have been pretty stoked when you found out that your iPhone 4 was going to get Siri, right?

1. Lost in Cyberspace

@AC 17:36. I'm not surprised you chose to go Anon with that comment.

I implied that older phones generally get the latest update. Not that they get every feature. You chose to be very selective by mentioning Siri. Is the Galaxy S3 going to get every feature that the S4 has? No. Nor is the Ace 2. (Oh I think that finally got an Android update, I might do that soon).

The iPhone 4 (is that 3 years old?) will get iOS 7. With some of the iOS 7 features. And most importantly, iOS 7 app support. I doubt it will be the full experience but the apps will work.

Before you get petty, i know my 4 year old 3GS won't run iOS 7. It limps along like my old Windows XP laptop I've got somewhere.

It's refreshing to know that for the reasonable life of my phones, there will be innovation and (general) compatibility.

I love the freedom of Android devices but I don't have the same confidence that the latest updates will be available.

1. Craigness

There were big changes between 2.3 and 4.0. As time moves on Android apps will work on increasingly older devices and devices will be more likely to get updated. It's just the recent 2.3-4.0 gap that makes things look bad at the moment, but even as it stands there are only a few apps that require 4.0.

2. Mark .

Talking about updates rather than features makes no sense - when you say "most of the ios announcements will apply to me", you are talking about features. Unless you really get excited merely by the announcement of a raw number, and look forward to having an increased version number on your phone.

How is the situation any difference for Android phones? They *do* get the latest update, but this doesn't mean the latest features. If you have an old Android phone, 2.3.3 might be the latest update for that phone. I don't see how it's any better than a phone claims to run IOS 7, but with none of the features. Google could do that too if they liked, but calling it Android 4 when your phone doesn't run those features seems rather misleading.

Indeed Google are now moving more towards a model where new functionality is rolled out via application updates from Google Play, without needing an OS update. Yet you'd rather have a bumped OS version number, without the features?!

2. Craigness
      Facepalm

I got a load of updates on my Gingerbread phone after Google I/O, so I know what you mean. And I don't know what you mean.

3. Mark .

Android phone users do get updates, it's just most aren't running the vanilla Android. So if you're running Samsung's TouchWiz, yes it's true you may have to wait longer to get the features that Google announce, but you do get updates of TouchWiz from Samsung. So instead of getting excited over Google announcements, you should get excited over Samsung ones - for example, the various new software features announced for the S4 are I believe coming to other Samsung devices too.

I mean, complaining I don't get all vanilla Android features if my phone doesn't get vanilla Android - I might as well complain that I don't get IOS features, or iphones don't get vanilla Android features. And if someone wants vanilla Android, they should by a phone that has that OS (which, by the looks of the recent HTC One and S4 announcements, should be more than just the Nexus line in future - not that Apple users have anything to criticise, since they only have one model to choose anyway).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oooh yes, oooooooooh yes, oooooooooooh, ooooooooooooooh yes, yes, yes. Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Damn it, I'm fed up with faking it now if only they would come up with an Apple Toy.

1. Jim in Hayward
        FAIL

Yeah, I knew you licked your hand clean you sick tard.

4. cnapan

My most wished for OSX announcement...

menubars attached to windows, rather than stuck up in the top left corner of my MASSIVE screen.

Is that so hard?

P.S. I'm not a hater. It was fine on my mac plus.

5. Buzzword

On the absence of leaks

Presumably there is no new hardware to leak, since the iPhone 5 isn't really due a refresh until autumn.

1. John Latham

Re: On the absence of leaks

So far...

New MBAs with Haswell, better battery life and 802.11ac. Available "now".

New Mac Pro with PCIe flash, Thunderbolt 2, dual GPUs, 4k video support and added roundness. Available not yet.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beefed up Macbooks et al

Isn't that a bit of an obvious thing to do with your products. hardly worth a great song and dance

Perhaps this isn't a fair comparison but Dell don't make an inordinately big thing of shoving in a faster processor, chipset, video card etc than last year.

1. John Latham

Re: Beefed up Macbooks et al

I think you have to ship Steve Ballmer in for a proper song and dance.

Apple just do a long, dull, slideshow that some people make a fuss out of.

1. The_Regulator

Lol, at least Ballmer does it big real big instead of dancing and then being like ohhh by the way do you see that new chipset do ya kid do ya yeahhhhhhh

7. We're all in it together

I'm still waiting for..

The iAvoidpayingtaxinmostcountries app

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(!tiles)

iOS 7 looks like it's 'found similar design cues' (shall we say) to... Windows Phone 8.1! Now that's not what I was expecting...

9. We're all in it together

Anyone remember The Grimleys?

Now if they'd have hosted the WWDC it would have been a riot.

"And now over to you Doug to provide us with a demo of iOS 7"

'Actually Tim, we've done **** all apart from copy everyone else, in between strikes of course. Can I get a cuppa me throats gasping...."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anyone remember The Grimleys?

Well if that is the case then it is only fair Apple cash in on some copy credit seeing as Microsoft have been doing the same thing to Apple for the last 30 years.

What I find amazing about most peoples comments on here is that they are all just emotion fuelled non comments, I do enjoy sitting back as people get angry at Apple for releasing a new update, is there not more things in life to get all red faced about??

How about we divert some of our madness to world Government who are slowly removing our freedoms, or our Banks who are slowly removing our ability to afford the technology?

At the end of the day it is each to his own, Apple are great at making things that just work, Android is great for people that like a fiddle, pick one and enjoy YOUR choice!!

1. We're all in it together

I don't suppose they care one iota what I or any others say. However I find their keynotes a little too well choreographed. Some of the presenters definitely struggle to convey the Apple ethos. And in turns of freedom Apple et al pass information to governments daily to give us our freedom. Freedom to conform to the powers that be. Same as every other provider.

Then there's the copying. Anyone who copies Apple gets taking through the courts yet it doesn't quite get reciprocated. So I suspect many post on here to play the Apple bashing game as they know they don't listen but only if their profits fall.

That's not much to differentiate any of the mobile manufacturers these days but then again not all of them are pretending they're releasing cutting edge technology in the way Apple try.

Sent from my iPad by the way

2. Mark .

I don't think anyone has a problem copying, whether it's Apple, MS, or whoever. The problem is the claims that Apple did everything first, or that other companies always copy them (your MS vs Apple being a perfect example - there were plenty of other companies with GUI OSs before MS). The level of history revisionism has reached new heights since 2007 - so I guess people here will want to react to that.

I agree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs - though your own post puts just as much a point of view as those you criticise...

Actually I like Android because it just works. I agree it's each to his own - but you then make a straw man argument suggesting that Android is only good for "people that like a fiddle", when actually (like Symbian before it), it's done great at both being popular with geeks, and being the number one mainstream platform.

10. Lost in Cyberspace
    Thumb Up

Can I just say

iOS 7 looks great and is long overdue. I hope the battery lasts all day though.

11. Fink-Nottle

Phil Schiller : "Can't innovate anymore, my ass!"

The good news is we didn't get to see Phil's ass; the bad news we didn't get to see much innovation either.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think I read a line at WWDC about iKeychain in the iCloud

is that a timely humorous aside about the NSA back/front/side doors? - or have Apple not gotten the message that not everyone wants to park their data in 'Spying As a Cloud Service' I know that us humans need a better way of remembering our passwords, but giving our keychain directly to the FBI/NSA is just a bit too far?

.....there was seemingly also NSA-i-numbers and NSA-i-pages released, guess I'll use that as much as Office-NSA-365 then...

Other opinions are surely available?, you're free to fire up the ten-plausible-identities per sockpuppet workstation and give them to me!

13. Oninoshiko
    Gimp

The big reveal

MacOS 10 to FINALLY support multiple displays!

(About time, too. Macs are horrid to use with multiple displays, completely gimped)

1. Robert Sneddon

Multimonitor and HDMI

I notice the new desktop Mac Pro, although it can be configured with dual GPUs only has a single HDMI port and no higher-spec DisplayPort. That means running multiple monitors can only be achieved through the Thunderbolt ports and who's the only (pricey) manufacturer of a TB-capable monitor...? Let me think...

2. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

Re: The big reveal

Geez,

I've been using multiple displays for well over 12 years - in fact since OS9 days. It works, and works well.

To say they are to FINALLY support something and then say they are horrid to use with it suggests a) an incomplete command of English - or b) an incomplete idea of WTF we're on about.

1. Oninoshiko
        FAIL

Re: The big reveal

Really. Ok, do something for me. Full screen your web browser and keep doing something else on the other monitor.

What? it turns the other monitor into a useless grey rectangle for no apparent reason?

I do not consider that to be proper support. I do consider it to be a horrid user experience, but apparently you don't have a proper understanding of what support is...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't understand the fuzz about their show each year, the secrecy preceding it, and the impatience of the people.

It's just a tech company showing off their latest products. (Likely less innovative than a few years ago, anyway.)

Don't behave as if your life depended on it for Christ's sake.

15. Big_Ted
    Trollface

iOS 7

Its all new and has never been done before........

Except by BB10, Android and Windows phone 8

iSheep rejoice your favourite fruity company has tried to copy the best from the rest to make some new shiney for you,

So Apple think that the future is what everyone else is doing......

OK Fanbois start voting me cold.....

16. Tom 35

Transparency? Did they get that from the dumpster behind Microsoft's office?

So the Mac Pro is round... Wonder if the iPhone 6 will be round.

1. We're all in it together

It'll be round as they patented that remember

17. Eponymous Cowherd
    Meh

What's all the fuss about?

A basic reskin, some "me too " features and some minor tweaks, hardly worth all the fuss, let alone a major upversion.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like