Feeds

back to article So, who ought to be the next Doctor Who? It's up to YOU...

Right, you lovely people: we've trawled through your suggestions as to who should step into Matt Smith's shoes as the 12th incarnation of Doctor Who, and it's time to put it to the public vote. It's a mixed bag, to be sure, with some top talent in there more than suited to pocketing the keys to the Tardis. So without further ado …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Cursed form

I'm clicking submit and naught is happening. Obviously somebody is conspiring against Noel Fielding.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Cursed form

We can only hope!

Re: Cursed form

Yeah, Noel Fielding would be a travesty. He was funny in one series, and hasn't been funny since, oh and he can't act.

Benedict Cumberbatch would be the best quite obviously, but I feel the Doctor is slightly beneath him, so wouldn't actually like to see him get the role.

I'd like to see a relative unknown, like Smith was when he took the role.

It doesn't even appear on the TIFKAM app!

Silver badge

It'd be nice

If they did a 2 round voting system on this, I mean with the number of candidates there will be many who'll likely only get one or two votes, (normally from the guy who proposed them)

I'd say unless there's a clear winner, as per elections, a second ballot is held with only the top few candidates from the previous round. That or somebody at El Reg could program a new voting system so that people can select a second choice candidate.

Stop

Re: It'd be nice

The third comment and already somebody is suggesting Alternative Voting? ;-)

Windows

I'm waiting for someone to blame Microsoft.

Trollface

Now you mention it, the Tardis does crash a lot lately.

Bronze badge

In each round they could eliminate the half of the candidates with the lowest score until somebody has more than 50% or somebody wins the penalty shoot out.

Silver badge
Joke

In each round they could eliminate the half of the candidates with the lowest score until somebody has more than 50% or somebody wins the penalty shoot out.

Well that'd eliminate any English actors from the role, especially if there are any German ones also on the list...

Facepalm

Oh come on, it's a joke, why the downvote?

Happy

Forget AV, let's go full preferential for this one & do it properly! :-)

MrT
Bronze badge

Could do with...

... a "Hell no" button - I've a bag full waiting for that Grint lad ;-)

Bronze badge

That list puts every other poll on the web to shame. Magnificent.

Bronze badge

So many choices

So many good options in there.

Benedict Cumberbatch would be interesting but given his high profile Hollywood status now I can't seem him doing it.

I think Robert Carlyle would do a marvellous job. Patrick Stewart or Alexander Siddiq (I assume this is actually supposed to be Siddig with a G, Julian Bashir from DS9) would both do an interesting job, but I can't see them having the energy and edgy nature required to appeal to Dr Who's current audience.

Robert Carlyle as Dr Nicholas Rush certainly shows he can do edgy.

Bronze badge

Re: So many choices

Also Alexander Siddig has a ridiculously long real name. It'd be awesome to see it used in credits.

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Carlyle is caught up in "Once Upon a Time" for the foreseeable future, and Siddig is involved with "Da Vinci's Demons" - both of which have been renewed for next year.

Megaphone

I think Cumberbatch should be the new Master!

yea but that is only around 8 episodes.. and also made in Wales :)

Mushroom

Shatner for Who

I still maintain that Bill Shatner would be great as Doctor Who. No more fanciful than some of the suggestions, and way better than some. Miranda Hart for frigs sake? Let's just have McCoy back then

Silver badge

Re: Shatner for Who

I actually like McCoy. Ace too. It was the scripts and production work that was crap they wouldn't have served in potato blighted Ireland. Just thinking about it reminds me of the gawd awful candyman episode where you couldn't hear the dialogue under the background music.

Stop

Stringer bell as the new doctor? Cant see that.

Anonymous Coward

I think it should be a shared role between engelbert humperdinck and Benedict Cumberbatch.

Happy

Engledict Humperbatch?

Silver badge
Happy

or

Gerry Dorsey ....

Gold badge
Happy

Engledict Humperbatch?

I had that, but the doctor gave me some pills...

Coat

Who is your doctor?

Anonymous Coward

He's always been Cumberdict Benebatch to me.

Silver badge

Where's Sean Pertwee gone?

I'm sure he was mentioned several times in the original comment list, and is one of the front-runners at some of the bookies.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: Where's Sean Pertwee gone?

I was hoping to vote for Brian Blessed...

They have left out the best options

Silver badge
Joke

Ah yes, but then they'd have to give him a companion named Gordon at some point, just to shoe-horn the trademark line in as well...

And anyway, the TARDIS may be bigger on the inside than the outside, but I'm still not sure it's big enough for his persona and voice :)

h3
Bronze badge

The only interesting thing left is the Time War. (Maybe what happened to the doctor's daughter after she regenerated).

It really has gone down hill for me.

I get the impression they won't deal with the John Hurt thread to my satisfaction.

I don't think trying to add love like threads to Doctor Who makes it any better at all.

Seems they put a proper amount of effort in for Ecclestone but then didn't really bother.

Anonymous Coward

Alexander Siddiq was originally credited as Siddig El Fadil, but this was changed post 9/11. I wonder why.

Mushroom

Check your facts before you defame someone.

He changed his name in 1995, 9/11 was in 2001.

Bronze badge

And the reason was because people kept shortlisting him for roles based on his name and then realising that he didn't fit the role at all when they actually got to see his face.

Anonymous Coward

It's annual

I've noticed there's a 9/11 every year. In fact there's two if you count the American one on on the 11th September as well.

Bronze badge

Re: It's annual

Still think the full credit would be best though. I'd love to edit all my DS9 episodes to have it

Julian Bashir - Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

MJI
Silver badge

Re: It's annual

Don't care what name he goes by just that he is an excellent actor

Pint

the obvious has been left out

Johnny Vegas, beer icon cause he likes it :)

Silver badge
Coat

Watch the trend...

We started out with a Doctor aged 55, and I think that our last one was 25?

There is an obvious trend here. I predict that the next Doctor will be below 20, and that the series will finish when he reaches 0...

Stop

Re: Watch the trend...

Benjamin Button already had that plot line.

Silver badge
Go

So what you're saying is the next doctor should be Justin Bieber? And he should be shot repeatedly by each of Doctor Whos enemies while simultaniously being kicked in the groin?

Silver badge

So what you're saying is the next doctor should be Justin Bieber? And he should be shot repeatedly by each of Doctor Whos enemies while simultaniously being kicked in the groin?

And the problem with this would be? Certainly gets my vote...

Trollface

Well, there's been a lot of talk about a female doctor, so Bieber would fit the brief on that score.

Trollface

I don't think you can assign Bieber a gender

Bronze badge

Following the trend http://mdfs.net/Docs/SciFi/DrWho/ActorAges the next Doctor will be about 25, the 13th Doctor will be about 20, and then all sorts of timey wimey stuff will happen as he hits puberty and gets another 12 regenerations from somewhere.

Megaphone

Not Going Out

I reckon Lee Mack would be good here, or even his sit-com side kick Tim Vine. In fact, Tim Vine could be awesome.

Throw in Lee's flatmate from Not Going Out as a wild card, no idea what her real name is.

Anonymous Coward

Sally Bretton

swoon ....

Anonymous Coward

Hugh Laurie, with the dodgy leg and the vicodin addiction.

Silver badge

Actually Hugh Laurie would be an excellent Doctor. Dodgy leg and drug addiction or not.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.