Feeds

back to article Reg readers tumesce as they get their tongues round 'podule'

Our recent coverage of Brit adventurer Nick Hancock's thwarted attempt to land on the Atlantic islet of Rockall has demonstrated a growing reader penchant for the word "podule". Hancock had intended to spend 60 days atop the remote granite outcrop in a survival podule, and the mere mention of this splendid term prompted one …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pint

The Acorn A7000+ and RISC PC also used devices called podules.

They were to provide a level of expansion to the system they were installed on. On my A7000+ I have a x86 CPU podule that allows me to run Windows on my machine, its quite novel as you get to run the OS in a window whilst RISC OS is running. I suppose like a sort of early VM?

Not really virtual, is it? I mean, it's hardware.

I used to have one for my Risc PC, but it was a second processor card, not a podule. And anything more recent than Windows 98 would run far too slow to be useable.

Pint

well, virtual insofar that there are CPU's available these days that provide virtualisation support, but I take your point.

On the RISC PC I think you get two podule slots and yes, the one I mention above is a processor card. I think Acorn offered processor cards and podules in the same form factor, the port was the same for both.

Bronze badge
Happy

Rocket ship

The Risc PC had a modular case, you could have two podules on a basic machine with one slice , add an extra slice to get 4 podules, and a 4 slice machine could accommodate 8.

Of course why stop there when you can build a ten slice Rocket Ship, complete with a pizza oven and kitchen sink!

Re: Rocket ship

All this talk of RISC OS has made me depressed now, I just missed out on an Iyonix on Ebay for £255 the other day...

Re: Rocket ship

You can run RISC OS on a Raspberry Pi. See the bottom of:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

Headmaster

They were called podules on the original Archimedes machines, but Acorn deprecated the term in favour of "expansion cards" long before the Risc PC and A7000 came out.

Thumb Up

They were called podules before Archimedes!

Within Acorn, we used to use that name for expansion modules for the A500: the first-ever ARM desktop machine. It was an Acorn-only development machine, and featured a better spec than the subsequent Archimedes commercial models. (More about it at Chris Whytehead's site.)

I don't know why Acorn deprecated the term "podule" - it was a fine word, and always got a smile - but then, I don't really understand a lot of the business decisions Acorn made at around that time.

Gimp

Translator podule

Best pronounced a-la-Rowan Atkinson. Can't find a youtube link.. but Zak the alien had a translator podule that was malfunctioning.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Translator podule

Schzlogadadit!

This post has been deleted by its author

Gimp

Zak

Youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTNUm-pIFmQ Zak the Alien. From 1987

Bronze badge

...of podules

A rack...

A propensity...

A pustulence... (from "pustule", of course)

A podument...

A rash...

Re: ...of podules

A rash of podules... sheer poetry.

Anonymous Coward

No, no, no

The author requested that we come up with suggestions about what a podule could be a collective term for.

As in, "a podule of commentards"

You have got it the wrong way round.

Silver badge

A podule of Playmonauts ?

Bronze badge

A podule of podules?

Can we get a grammar checker to self-destruct?

Silver badge

During the meanwhile ... has the wannabe twatdangler ...

... actually managed to ...err ... twatdangle? Or has his effort been worth Sweet Rockall?

Bronze badge

Hmmm.... Woody!

Podule definitely classifies as a woody word as opposed to tinny ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gwXJsWHupg )

As for a collective, how about ; A podule of politicians: A small group of politicians eliciting furtive behaviour.

Hmmm Furtive, Podule.... woody!

Headmaster

Re: Hmmm.... Woody!

A podule of pedants

Kenny Everett

I first heard podule used on by Kenny Everett on his Capital Radio show in the late 70's - I think it was in the Captain Kremmen slot, unmissable listening in those days. It's been a favourite word of mine ever since.

Amazing that I can remember a radio show from 25 years ago, but can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

Windows

Re: Kenny Everett

"Amazing that I can remember a radio show from 25 years ago, but can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday"

Sign of getting old my friend. (And it was more than 30 years ago - that's another 5 years that you've lost!)

Last time that I heard the work "Podule" used before this was for the little self contained toilet / bathroom units that were being built into the rooms of some hotels (one of the ones at Birmingham - Ibis?)

Yes, for 25 read 35 years. It's early, and I'm probably in denial about my age.

I've dubbed the travel pods at Heathrow terminal 5 "podules". They missed a trick in naming those.

Flame

Um, Kenny--you didn't EAT lunch yesterday. That was the day with your girlfriend, remember?

Rowan Atkinson/Zak the Alien

He uses the word podule to refer to his translating device in this skit from the his live show in the late 80s. Of course, the word lends itself to his delivery.

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/rowan-atkinson-zak-the-alien-rowan-atkinson-video-r0LoLdjGy9o-3117-1.html

If you haven't seen it, it is highly recommended

Bronze badge
Alert

Academic Disgrace.

I've put in a complaint to the OED, absurd omission.

Anonymous Coward

Pavitra Bandham

Ahem - 1971, not the 1996 film of the same name.

I mean come on - I mainly read the Reg for it's accuracy on Telugu language films, how could you make such an error?

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Pavitra Bandham

Blast. That's our reputation as the premier source of Telugu language movie info blown out of the water. It's off to the Vulture Central punishment podule for me.

Silver badge

El Reg

has a punishment podule! Well, they must be a well adjusted lot.

Coat

Risc PC Podules

IIRC it was Mike Muller who coined Podule for the expansion cards on the early ARM-based development machines. That would make it 1985 or 6, I think. Certainly it was after Rowan Atkinson's sketch at the time.

Unhappy

Re: Risc PC Podules

I'm pretty sure it was also after someone else started using the term and you'll note that Acorn stopped using the word from the early nineties due to the threat of legal action. Thus the RiscPC does not have any 'podules'.

Stop

The IT angle? Good old RISC OS!

RISC OS has used podules and modules in its systems for decades now. You add a hardware podule to the system (any expansion card, such as an IDE controller) which comes with a set of driver modules on a ROM chip on the card. When you insert the card into the machine and then power on, you get extra modules added to the main system ROM. You can enumerate listings of these from within RISC OS by going to the Supervisor and typing *modules, *rommodules, and *podules, as appropriate.

Minus points to El Reg for not managing basic research into good old British computing.

I first heard it...

...in the little remembered film The Morons From Outer Space

Re: I first heard it...

But how can you forget that great song, "Podules of Love"?

Re: I first heard it...

Or even just in the singular "Podule of Love" (guess I was starting to forget it after all)

Headmaster

Melding?

Sad to see a missed opportunity for "Podule is a portmanteau"

Re: Melding?

Props for promulgating portmanteau,

Silver badge

Re: Melding?

That's it! A podule of portmanteaus!

I think I remember

Rowen Atkinson using podule on Not The Nine O'clock News when giving a broadcast to the people of Earth as an alien

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

A podule of pinheads

Or, for a more positive angel, a podule of Paris fans.

Anonymous Coward

Re: A podule of pinheads

Pessimistic angels really do my head in.

Bronze badge

Re: A podule of pinheads

Weeping angels are terrifying.

Bronze badge

A podule of

Really small dolphins?

Chiropodists?

Apple fanbois all in the same carriage on the London Eye?

It wasn't just the RISC PC

"Podule" was the officlal name for *all* the internal expanion cards for all the Acorn ARM machines, from the original Archimedes to the final Risc PC. As such, I've been using it since about 1987. I have an Ethernet podule in my A5000, for instance.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Sorry, still sounds like an acne breakout to me

Silver badge

Adjectival form?

So if something can be supplied as a podule, does that make it podular ?

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Re: Adjectival form?

If I change something non-podular into a podule, do I podulate it?

Bronze badge

(verbing weirds language)

Anonymous Coward

> If I change something non-podular into a podule, do I podulate it?

Unless you're American, in which case you'll either podulify it, or possibly podularize it?

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Lovely podule!

Wife: I don't like podule!

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your podule. I love it.

I'm having podule podule podule podule podule podule podule beaked beans podule podule

podule and podule!

Vikings (singing): podule podule podule podule. Lovely podule! Wonderful podule!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Man: Well could I have her podule instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean podule podule podule podule podule podule... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)

Vikings (singing elaborately): podule podule podule podule. Lovely podule! Wonderful podule! podule podu-u-u-u-u-ule podule podu-u-u-u-u-ule podule. Lovely podule! Lovely podule! Lovely podule! Lovely podule! Lovely podule! podule podule podule podule!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.