Feeds

back to article Microsoft parades Windows 8.1, the version you may actually want

Microsoft today demonstrated Windows 8.1 for the first time in public and showed off at least 60 compatible devices - including Haswell-powered gadgets. Windows vice-president Antoine Leblond took the Computex crowd through a whistlestop tour of all the major new functionality in the OS formerly known as Windows Blue. Key among …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem.

Silver badge
FAIL

Microsoft said that they had listened to their customers, oh really

Don't tell me someone at Microsoft actually thought that when people referred to the, lack of the "Start Button", that they actually took that phrase literally.

It would be interesting to know just how many downloads were made for StartMenuClassic et all.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

JDX
Gold badge

Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem.

Except to the users, whose #1 problem is "where the f*** are my programs"

Silver badge

@Khaptain

Well, don't forget that according to Microsoft those same "user input channels" convinced them that the start menu had to go. Of course the results that followed made many wonder to which audience Microsoft had actually been listening, but even so that was their original story.

Re: Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem.

Try the Windows key on the keyboard you morons

Would be my response

@ShelLuser

The problem was that Microsoft didn't listen to an audience at all - they listened to "metrics" provided by crap like the customer feedback apps without putting it into any sort of context.

Silver badge
Meh

What key? I ask, you tit- this is a tablet.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The WHINING of the WINTARDS

And Windows 8 still has a market share of about 5 times that of Linux on the desktop.

EADON MEGA FAIL

As usual

Silver badge
FAIL

"Try the Windows key on the keyboard you morons

Would be my response"

Which would clearly show what kind of an even bigger moron you are because it has little to do with the Start Menu people are missing, you tool.

Bronze badge

Only Eadon could be clueless enough not to realise that on tablet devices there are other options like "stylus in the lower/right corner"

Bronze badge

If Android is Linux then I can surely

Use an open source JDK / JRE to run my Tomcat or Jetty on it

After all the think runs under Linux and does not need much power/memory. Or if not that, at least a complete X-Server runs there? After all X and Linux is like crap and toilet.

Silver badge

Except to the users, whose #1 problem is "where the f*** are my programs"

Only they won't be helped much has could be either, because it's a new unfamiliar logo. It's marginally more obvious than pointed at the empty space where the button used to be, but only marginally.

Bronze badge

And again more FUD and lies from EADON:

Where is the desktop crippled? All Win7 software still runs fine. No need for Modern if you do not want it

And for Linux: It does not work on a tablet pc. Sure on a smearboard it is fine but use a pen - bang, does not work. So no Penguin here.

Bronze badge

15min of training for a user with a high 2 digit IQ. 8h for the rest (or 30min with electricity). Lets face it, Olaf Officedrohne does not use all that many programs. Just train him to click on the bright shiny icon and thats it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Start Icon != Start Menu. This the problem. @Eadon

"Only MS could design a touch interface OS that needs a keyboard. Makes a change from needing a stylus I guess."

-- They didn't, Eadon. Interesting comment considering you're always saying they're trying to foist an interface designed for touch onto desktop PCs ...

I may be wrong (and frequently am) but my understanding is that Android is a FORK of Linux that has little to no chance of being merged back into the main branch of the kernel.

With that in mind isn't the main problem is, as is the case with the proliferation of desktop environments, the freedom of Linux is its own worst enemy....

WTF?

You need a mirror. Obviously you're as narrow minded as the people at microsoft. It wasn't about the button itself as the whole mess of mixing two UI at people. Its an ugly messy package.

Hell, Windows8 has made me download and start using LinuxMint... which is usable, unlike metro.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: @nichomach

...and some wet-behind-the-ears marketdroids whose certificate from Marketing U. still has wet ink on it, who thought they could be responsible for the Next Big Thing™ in Computing!

WTF?

Ah just when I thought you'd had a blow to the head and were being reasonable....

You love Linux, we know, you got the T-shirt and the matching pants.

People would find you less boring if you put your anti-MS rants aside and made good, valid points.

As for App stores, take your pick, they all do the same thing and get a cut and a Linux app store will happen if it hasn't already (I've lapsed in my subscription to Linux and Flagellation Monthly).

Are you about 12? Is hair starting to grown "down there" and you want to ask questions about your feelings for girls and how they work?

Linux will NOT get anywhere in the "home PC" arena while it's a billion different versions and has nerd snobbery attached to it. FACT. In that respect, even Umbungo has failed. MS might not listen, but with Linux there is nobody to HEAR you. The home user wants things simple; they don't want to mess with distros and command prompts. 90% of home users are not technical at all - good luck turning them off MS - besides, where does your moral and intellectual superiority elevate you to? You sneer at the people at home using PCs as stupid because they choose to use something that is popular?

We get it, you're too clever for us, and you're totally right, but I think about now it's time that YOU and LINUX, got a room......

Anonymous Coward

And when Linux was offered pre-installed what happened. On Laptops etc almost no uptake, that's why companies stopped offering it. On Netbooks the average punter just returned their purchase as the wanted Windows

Coat

I think it has got nothing to do with the OS. Users wouldn't recognize an OS if it bit them - they can't distinguish between an OS and a UI. What users want is "easy & shiny" and that's exactly what Gnome - the most used UI - isn't. Everything made with GTK still looks and feels like a sad Win 3.1 clone. Take KDE3 or E17, skin it like Win7, add some transparency and they won't notice the difference.

But that does not gives you a start menu. It gives you an ugly collection of square blotches of color, which appear to represent applications, with no hierarchical grouping visual clues, that takes up the entire 22 inch screen while showing only a fraction of the choices, having to be scraped back and forth to expose the rest of the blotches. It's a mess.

I'm writing this on Windows 7. When I hit the Windows key, I get a real menu, and I can choose to bring up a new application while leaving my current open windows in place. I have a Windows 8 machine, but haven't touched it in weeks, because a real user workflow does not work on the device. It's probably fine for casual browsing (which I do on my phone anyway, but never mind) but is a definite step backwards for real work.

Silver badge
Holmes

mmeier from mmicrosoft asks:

If Android is Linux then I can surely Use an open source JDK / JRE to run my Tomcat or Jetty on it.

Sure. Just armor yourself with a few heavyweight laways, grab a copy of OpenJDK (GPL) or Harmony (Apache License) and code away for a good porting. Be my guest. Just be sure it passes the TCK and won't be like an "enhanced" Java version by Microsoft, mkay?

I might even download it.

Or you can adapt Tomcat to run on the Dalvik VM. I think that's the better option.

kb
WTF?

Nice to know you claim Android and the 1 million infections that Android will hit by July, that's good to know. Oh and just FYI if everything thet runs a locked down GPL kernel now counts as "linux" why aren't you claiming routers and the cheap Chinese set top boxes as well?

FYI Android is owned and controlled by corporate, no different than Windows and OSX. you just try getting some of your patches into android, or try to get them to take Torvalds latest kernel noodlings and see how quick it happens...hint, never.

All Google is is trading one master for another, see how they take what was once bog standard X86 hardware and lock it down so bad the ONLY way you can put another OS on it is to completely wipe the drive, no dual boots allowed, for "freedumb" of course, a page and a half of CLI garbage and then and ONLY then can you run one of a few piddling distros that have bootloaders that can get around Google's hardware DRM. You just try running any bog standard distro or BSD or anything but the few hacked together distros and see how far you get (hint,no boot).

Of course I'm sure google is laughing all the way to the bank, you can put "do no evil" right next to "think different" on the best BS marketing ever created.

Silver badge

Linux is everywhere

Linux is the kernel, so yes, my set-top box runs Linux, Android phones run Linux.

There's also a lot of stuff running on Linux that you'd never think of - the new Disney ships run on Linux, the Sheik Zayed Al Nayan mosque runs on VXWorks, the world's tallest building runs on Linux and Windows XP.

A lot of BMS and industrial controllers run on the Linux kernel - it's either that or VXWorks for the most part, and most ARM/MIPs computer-on-module suppliers offer Linux as a standard BSP.

Meh

"Try the Windows key on the keyboard you morons

Would be my response"

Ever notice how easy it is to tell when someone has never tried the OS they are trying to defend?

For those of you who have so far managed to avoid the Horror that is Windows 8;

Pressing the "Windows key" on a Win 8 system does NOT bring up a menu of applications/settings, it take you to the Metro screen. "Windows key" + "r" will open a run dialog. Goddess help you if you don't know the name of the actual executable exe file for your application.

and wasn't the whole point of Windows to make it so you didn't need a keyboard to start your applications.

Bronze badge

Eadon,

If you really have so much passion for open source(for which I commend you) please, please, please help. You don't have to be a programmer.

Evangelism for foss is very 1990's

GNU/Linux may never conquer the desktop in end user land, but it does not matter any more, it has reached critical mass.

<18 months from launch RPi is 1.5+ million units

MS contributes to the Linux kernel, because it needs to compete in the virtual arena

If open source was to disappear tomorrow, the internet would stop working - fact

Most people use GNU/Linux, they may not know or understand, but, they do, name a home router that runs anything else?

The list can go on, but what I am asking, is you look to where you can help, you have the ability, so please help.

Hope you take this as positive

salts

Re: Linux is everywhere

"the Sheik Zayed Al Nayan mosque runs on VXWorks,"

What the Hell does a mosque do that requires a Real Time OS (RTOS)?

I used to work for WindRiver, vxWorks is a great OS for embedded systems like the Mars rovers but I would think it was overkill for anything not requiring a deterministic hard RTOS, like a building.

I'm going to have to Google that place and find out whats up, thanks for calling to to my attention.

Bronze badge

That was also the argument given about unix - it's fragmentation, however with the GNU license all code derived from the source code, must be made available, therefore, regardless of the fork, the source should be available.

Therefore we have a situation of evolution, with lots of dead ends, but a few winners in the end, if it does follow evolution, we get a product that "is most suitable for it's environment" which means you have a choice.

you choose, what works for you, windows, OSX, UNIX, Linux or whatever.

I like that idea, others may not

Ian

Pint

Most users now will respond you "Ballmerboy, what button are you talking about anyway? My iOS/Android device has not that f*** button!"

And it is true for the majority of devices, as after that epic fail of W8 Squarepants was announced non Wintel machines sales and usage skyrocketed and pros and developers ran away in flocks. And after fist 9 months of W8 heavy advertising reign, Wintel platform IS NO LONGER THE DOMINANT ONE for number of users nor for revenue.

Welcome to the new world, MS suicided itself, get a clue.

Bronze badge
Trollface

Nobody ever heard anyone publicly complain about 'Unity' or any other interface gaffes. That's because being open, Linux users could simply move on and install another GUI.

If only Windows users had the same option. If only it was possible to easily install some free software that could magically restore the old familiar interface - start button, start menu, boot to desktop, etc.

This post has been deleted by its author

Linux

> If Android is Linux then I can surely

>

>Use an open source JDK / JRE to run my Tomcat or Jetty on it

You can. Not directly out of the box, but I've seen OpenSuSe running on a Galaxy S2 right onto the stock kernel. You only need root access. And yes you could run Tomcat on top of it. Usefull? I doubt! Fun? Yes! (and that what Linux is, fun to use!! :-) )

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Linux is everywhere

What the Hell does a mosque do that requires a Real Time OS (RTOS)?

FATWA CONTROL!

Bronze badge

OpenSuse != Android

So the Answer is: No / not without massiv modifications to Android

Bronze badge

So the short version is

NO

FAIL

But, run any of the replacement programs (StartUI, etc) and windows key = start menu.

Guess what Win Key + D does.....The Desktop. The Win 7 desktop. With the added security and other "under the bonnet" tweaks that actually makes Win 8 an excellent OS for tablet, laptop and desktop.

Now if you are smart enough to use "sudo apt get" then you should just be able to carry out the StartUI (or any of the others) trick.

What are you afraid of? That you would have to admit that with WIN 8 everything does just work, if you want the Win 7 experience then go get it.

Your answer kind of underscores what you mention when you say "Ever notice how easy it is to tell someone has never used the OS they are trying to defend"

Did you mean yourself when you made that comment?

Bronze badge
Linux

No Linux on tablets, eh?

Well, apart from the number of folk that have already pointed out that Android is a fork of Linux, a number of distros are either developing or have already developed versions for the tablet.

As for anything else, we shall see. The problem with the start button and the menu that lay below it was that TIFKAM was not a good substitute. If what they present in Blue is a good substitute, then I suspect that the whining will die down. Of course, you can't please everyone...

Silver badge

@mmeier 05-Jun-2013 17:20

There aren't many posters here at El Reg that are quite as annoying as Eadon on an MS-rant. But if you work just a little bit harder at it, I'm sure you can get there with your Windows 8 shilling.

Bronze badge

Very true. However, back in the early days of Microsoft, they had the same problem. The only way around it was to persist and to advertise like crazy, something that didn't really happen with the Linux in a box setup for whatever reason (probably because they need long term support from a company wishing to market the OS to the masses rather than companies that were only interested in buying up distros to market them as server OSs).

Silver badge

Re: they can't distinguish between an OS and a UI.

Even more to the point, they don't care that they can't distinguish between an OS and a UI. They want an app that just works so they can do whatever their real job is (assuming work), or play their game (hardcore gamers) or video chat with their grandkids 300+ miles away.

And you know what? As a tech supporting them who does know the difference, I think they have a valid point.

Then just hit the "charm" in the lower left corner (I believe, could be the upper left).

Facepalm

Every Windows tablet has a Windows key.

Silver badge
Windows

Re: the average punter just returned their purchase as the wanted Windows

Just like Win 8 then?

Bronze badge

No Linux with build in WACOM or NTrig pen support and Handwriting recognition. Same for the journaling software

Android has but that is not part of the OpenSource so no backport from Note or TPT1 to Linux. Same for the journaling software

And buying a 1000+ € tablet pc and not be able to use the main component - useless

FAIL

"What key? I ask, you tit- this is a tablet."

Probably the one, bottom centre below your screen... you know, the one with the windows logo on it...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57360734-64/microsoft-lays-out-window-8-tablet-hardware-requirements/

Anonymous Coward

Or you could hover your mouse in the bottom left and the start screen will pop out...

Or if you are using touch flick in from the bottom left and it pops up.. almost like a gesture (you know like touch interfaces use?)

Dumbass

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.