Feeds

back to article Leaks point to new mystery Macs 'with Jony Ive's fingerprints on'

Brace yourself fanbois: it looks like Apple is about to release a new range of souped-up MacBook laptops into the wild. A series of part codes leaked out of Cupertino by a Mac mole appear to indicate that the fruity firm will use next week's WWDC, an annual fanboi love-in, to unleash a new range of refreshed laptops. Stock of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Can't see why anyone would bother versus Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks like the new Asus S7....

Silver badge

>Can't see why anyone would bother versus Windows 8 touchscreen ultrabooks like the new Asus S7....

Adobe (and many other) productivity applications don't scale well on Win 7/8 laptops with very high dpi displays, according to reviews of the few Win laptops that boast 'retina'-like screens. (See Toshiba Kirabook)

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Windows 8 outperforms Mac OS-X for graphics, so I would assume they were comparing Intel on CPU graphics, which perform less effectively than a dedicated card. But all other things being equal, Windows 8 would be faster for GPU heavy work...Even Ubuntu outperforms OS-X....

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu1304_apple_osx1083&num=1

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_ultrabook_winlin7&num=2

Silver badge
FAIL

Phoronix is the open source equivalent of News of the World, they couldn't put together a competent benchmark to save their lives. If you believe 30% of what you read on that site, you're trusting them too much.

Anonymous Coward

"Phoronix is the open source equivalent of News of the World".

uhm, well I believe a competently presented commercial website with lots of documentation and explanation about what they tested and how a lot more than a do a random comment with zero evidence that says they suck...

Anonymous Coward

"Windows 8 outperforms Mac OS-X for graphics"

That web site indicates OS X is kinda slow for some games. "Graphics" spans a lot more than a few games.

Silver badge
Mushroom

flame on

Well based on my experience with my Mac Pro if you buy Apple the hardware build quality is awesome but count on Linux and even Microsoft (via Boot Camp but Apple is even trying to get rid of that) supporting your Mac far longer than Apple will. Forced obsolescence is the name of the game for Apple who are a hardware maker first and only do software to sell their hardware.

Anonymous Coward

No doubt they will copy Microsoft as usual and introduce touch screen capabilities, and a flat Metro style interface...

Bronze badge

Say what you like about "Metro"

and most of the things I would like to say about it are not appropriate even here, the flat style is not the problem. (The implementation on the other hand. . .)

Bronze badge

The bastards in Redmond South are always doing that, aren't they?

Silver badge

Re: Say what you like about "Metro"

My biggest criticism of Metro (in a tablet / phone) is its fine when you have a few tiles, perhaps no more than 2 screens worth. After once you have 3 or 4 screens of tiles it becomes a major drag to hurl the screen around.

I think if iOS were to be revamped it could still learn something from it though, especially the concept of live tiles (or widgets in Android). Let a user construct a home screen and personalize the experience more. iOS is starting to look pretty long in the tooth compared to its opposition in some basic ways.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Coat

Visibility, Feedback & Affordance.

Just any UI with those 3 - Windows 8 fails very badly, but it's not alone.

Silver badge

"Say what you like about "Metro"

Eet ees a great beeg candy-striped baby geeraffe balanceeng on ze skateboard of universal lurve.

(and that's what I like)

Silver badge

Thumbs down? For ze leetle baby geeraffe?

Anonymous Coward

The web is pretty flat and people seem to manage.

Silver badge
Trollface

People manage so well that they usually download the app instead of going to the website for mobile. Remember how around the turn of the millenium the experts were saying the web was going to kill fat clients? Oh wait now HTML 5 and WebGL are going too. Yeah good luck with that.

Manage is the operative word here. If it were really good, we wouldn't need apps at all. Beside, even the web for the most part has rules.

Silver badge
Megaphone

If the new MacBook range doesn't have any models with optical drives I'll sulk. Last years' iMacs will hold their value for some years to come.

P.S. Judging by the first two posts above mine, Microsoft's community managers are already at their desks.

Silver badge
Gimp

While I can appreciate you may have requirements for an optical drive, the vast majority of users don't need one on a regular basis.

Might be nice however if they supplied a firewire/usb optical drive in the box. But it's Apple. So you'll have to buy one. When they're available in three months time.

JDX
Gold badge

If they are leaving optical drives out because they think most people don't need them, it would be plain stupid to then include an external drive with every macbook - most people wouldn't use them and it would push the price up for everyone.

Can you buy a generic external optical drive or do they have to be Apple? Is there anything special?

Silver badge

Have a 2012 Macbook with no optical drive. Haven't missed it much really. I have a 20 quid external drive available for the occasional time it's needed. Other peoples mileage may vary but given the instances of Superdrives packing up, the external option is actually cheaper and easier to fix if something goes wrong (i.e. hurl it in the bin and order a new one from Ebuyer).

Go

Any external USB drive should work. When I need to use an optical drive, I connect a Dell USB2 DVD-RW drive to my MacBook. it's a bit cheaper than Apple's Superdrive and does the same job. For that matter, you could probably use a generic USB drive and save more money.

Silver badge
Headmaster

@Dan 55 "Judging by the first two posts above mine, Microsoft's community..............

..........managers are already at their desks.

Well old chap, I have to say that those of who have managed to develop a bit of maturity understand that not everyone who disagrees with us is a villain or a shill. Suggest you try harder.

Your time machine appears to be calibrated for 2008.

Apple have been selling their SuperDrive for Macbook Airs since 2009. Works fine with my 2012-vintage retina Probook.

It's a standard Apple accessory: looks cute, rather more expensive (cough, you want *how much* for a USB DVD-RW?) than the competition, most non-Mac folks don't know it exists so insert foot in mouth when polled on subject.

(In this SoHo business we have two Airbooks, a Mac Mini Server, and a rMBP, none of which have built-in optical drives. We get by quite happily with a single SuperDrive between us -- in fact, it spends most of its time gathering dust in a drawer.)

Silver badge
Boffin

More concerned on other issue

I really, really hope they upgrade the non-Retina MBP range. I dislike non-upgradeable hardware, and is the main reason why I didn't go for the Retina stuff.

The optical drive is something I rarely use, but it is still good to have it there. It also gives me the option to add a second HDD if I ever need to do that as well.

Silver badge
Linux

Nice self-nuke there.

> and it would push the price up for everyone.

Are you kidding? Really? This isn't Dell we're talking about.This is a "luxury brand". Leaving things out because of some need to cut corners is really not consistent with the usual Apple propaganda.

It could be a useful option.

That space could also be used for other interesting things like a 2nd hard drive.

Not everyone is some iPad wielding granny.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: @Dan 55 "Judging by the first two posts above mine, Microsoft's community..............

A fanboy doesn't need to go AC.

Optical drives are good to have if your hard drive borks or you want to install a heavyweight piece of software. Well, it shouldn't be necessary to go into details on this website. Taking Apple's enthusiasm for minimalism and feature-removal to its logical conclusion, we'll end up with Apple Pis where you pay a premium for the nice cover and then a premium for a stack of boxes hanging off the side.

Happy

I got the last 17" Macbook Pro, and I'm very glad it came with an optical drive... so I could remove it and install a second HD on its slot.

I've installed the optical drive in an external bay and used it maybe two, three times in one year and a half.

Yes to third-party...

I haves external USB Blu Ray writer for my 2012 MBP, and it works just fine. I think the base drive is a Toshiba or Sammy.

Having said that! I've used it only to rip CDs and DVDs...

Anonymous Coward

Re: EVOLUTION of IT

Jeez Eadon, you're such a predictable douche - why not put the keyboard down and go outside for a bit, it's nice out there.

Anonymous Coward

Calm down; Eadon isn't real. He's actually a virtual troll personality software construct that posts anti-Microsoft comments to the Internet in order to make Linux users look like douches.

The dirty secret is; he runs on Windows 95!!!

Silver badge

Oh dear.

OSX was based on NextStep, which pre-dates Linux by several years.

Microsoft had a watch years ago.

MS had phone OSs for years before the launch of the iPhone.

Still, don't let facts ruin your simplistic world view.

FAIL

Park?

PARC.

Palo Alto Research Center.

For Flip's Sake.

Happy

I love you Eadon.

Every time I think this site is full only of people who work with IT, know about IT, understand IT and think carefully and perceptively about IT, up you pop.

Every time I think there are no children on this forum, stamping their baby feet, pouting and throwing their toys out of the pram, up you pop.

Every time I feel like a break from clear reasoning, based on well-referenced sources, up you pop.

You never test my brain with useful or credible information, which the world has quite enough of anyway.

I love you, Eadon, for all that you are. You make me laugh when life is too serious.

JDX
Gold badge

Appstore an evolution of Linux repositories, hilarious.

JDX
Gold badge

@TekYousa

"Every time I think this site is full only of people who work with IT, know about IT, understand IT and think carefully and perceptively about IT, up you pop."

You're new here, right?

"Appstore an evolution of Linux repositories, hilarious."

For what it's worth it is a lot like Lindows CNR.

Silver badge

>Reread my post where I make the most important point: Apple "makes it desirable". And, believe me, I don't like Apple's locked down ways one bit.

On that, Eadon, I completely agree with you- though it wasn't highlighted in your post as being the bit you thought most important; it was lost amongst a list that appeared to be a tad forced. (iOS stuff is locked down, OSX stuff isn't)

Windows can annoy the hell out of me, but has got a lot better over the years. I use it because like many people, from CAD users to small business accountants, it is the only OS that runs the software I need. "Windows is rubbish, just a toy for those who don't know better" isn't an attitude that helps us, whereas "MS should do it like this" is constructive.

If OSS meets all your needs, fair play, but bear in mind that there are people with different requirements.

So, more nitpicking:

>Clunky laptops -> MacBook Air -> Ultrabook (Wintel copy)

The Macbook Air is an Intel machine- Intel choose to give Apple first dibs on the CPU, probably because suppliers like customers who have a good idea in advance of how many units they will require. I'm not sure of MS's involvement in marketing the 'Ultrabook' brand, either - MS got paid the same regardless of whether Windows 7 Home Premium was bundled on a cheap laptop, an 'Ultrabook', or an AMD-based machine. For sure, an 'Ultrabook TM' follows the form of a Macbook Air, but high-end laptops have been getting progressively slimmer, lighter and more frugal of power since the year dot.

Anonymous Coward

"patching and rebooting your windows servers"

WSUS / SCCM already did that for last month - globally for over 100,000 devices - automatically to TEST and then DEV / UAT and then PROD / DR after we updated and approved the urgent and recommended patch tiers. Then it emailed me a nice report on the deployment progress and completion rates - with an analysis of the patch status of the environment.

Remind me how you automate that sort of thing in the Linux world again?

Coat

".....I hope you can join me and my bevy of bebikinied friends as we frolic in the sea...."

Considering the demographic of the average it worker... .

http://www.prezzybox.com/the-official-borat-mankini.aspx

Good question, I think puppet can do some of that but it's an area where I'd like to here more about what state of the art is for *nix boxes particularly when you compare it against WSUS / SCCM / Group policy and also what the cost is.

Anonymous Coward

Xerox Park / UNIX -> Linux -> OSX -> Vista

:

In each case Apple takes something, makes it desirable, and then is immediately copied - badly - by Microsoft / Wintel.

Nope. OSX is not in any way derived from Linux, and Vista is not in any way derived from OSX.

Bronze badge

Re: Xerox Park

That's Xerox PARC

FAIL

Re: Park?

And what the hell did VMS have to do with that ?

COMPUTING HISTORY FAIL

(Maybe El Reg needs a green-screen terminal icon for these "get off my lawn, junior" moments ?)

MrE
FAIL

Google Maps -> Bing Maps -> iOS Maps, strange how things evolve, what's the worst app here?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.