So much for that whole strategy that cloud biz SoftLayer came up with (of building its own cloud controller and basing its server fleet entirely on Super Micro iron): because Big Blue bought SoftLayer today for an undisclosed sum. Rumors were going around back in March that both IBM and EMC were sniffing around SoftLayer - a …
even if IBM sold x-series to lenovo or whoever they'd still use those systems for years to come. They obviously know the platform well and have it widely deployed, integrated etc. They would have wonderful pricing power etc.. there's just no reason for them to use anything else.
Another option would be keep a specialist part of the X-series team in house (similar to Dell DCS or something) for hyperscale configurations and develop that for use in their service provider cloud stuff.
- Apple stuns world with rare SEVEN-way split: What does that mean?
- Special report Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN
- RIP net neutrality? FCC boss mulls 'two-speed internet'
- Sony Xperia Z2: 4K vid, great audio, waterproof ... Oh, and you can make a phone call
- Pic Tooled-up Ryobi girl takes nine-inch grinder to Asus beach babe