So much for that whole strategy that cloud biz SoftLayer came up with (of building its own cloud controller and basing its server fleet entirely on Super Micro iron): because Big Blue bought SoftLayer today for an undisclosed sum. Rumors were going around back in March that both IBM and EMC were sniffing around SoftLayer - a …
even if IBM sold x-series to lenovo or whoever they'd still use those systems for years to come. They obviously know the platform well and have it widely deployed, integrated etc. They would have wonderful pricing power etc.. there's just no reason for them to use anything else.
Another option would be keep a specialist part of the X-series team in house (similar to Dell DCS or something) for hyperscale configurations and develop that for use in their service provider cloud stuff.
- NASA boffin: RIDDLE of odd BULGE FOUND on MOON is SOLVED
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan