Feeds

back to article 'Nothing will convince a kid that's never worn glasses to wear them'

This was the week when a campaign run by a bunch of women's groups actually made Facebook admit to a fault and offer to change. The groups called on advertisers to boycott the social network until Zuck and Co guaranteed their ads wouldn't appear next to content promoting violence against women, and they achieved what many …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Glasses.

I have never worn them (apart from looking crucial in shades, obviously) so I would not want to wear a google-glass device, even if it does give me a cool Head-up display type experience. A smarter watch? Maybe, as a do wear one of those and it currently only tells me the time.

I can't comprehend these hipsters who wear glasses frames with no lenses for "fashion" purposes. It makes them look like a "Twunt".

I suppose I am still waiting for the Arthur C Clarke inspired "Brain Cap".

Anonymous Coward

Re: Glasses.

It makes them look like a "Twunt".

No,

It makes the twat look like a cunt. There, fixed that for you.

Silver badge
Mushroom

As a man who wears glasses here are the three things I cannot stand when it comes to glasses.

1: Douchebag hipsters wearing thick frames because it makes them look 'cool' apparently, no you look like a douche

2: Douchbag twats who wear a pair of shades on their forehead / over the top of their caps because it makes them look cool. Once again no, you look like a douche.

3: The price. Why oh why do they cost so freakin' much. Go down town, see a pair you like which are hipster made and they're like, £10. Go to specsavers and you're looking at £125 for anything that doesn't look like it was made for a grandad. And that's before extras like reactions or ultrathin.

Short version. Glasses for those who need them are too expensive, and if you get them when you don't need them you're just a douchebag.

Bronze badge

Buy them online like everything else.... My last pair cost £20 and were almost identical to the £300 pair they replaced.

Silver badge

No, the first word was right because it was a portmanteau of two insulting words: BOTH of which apply

Bronze badge

Smart watch has the same problems a smart phone has:

No hands free operation

Need to "dig it out"

A well implemented HUD or full AR-Rig (Glass is neither) has benefits in all situations where that is not easily done. From wearing gloves to using a bike / car (1) to sitting (more likely: standing) in the tram or bus where I need one hand for my attache case and one for steading myself

(1) Yes, some cars have that build in. But I won't spend 30.000+ € on a car nor be seen dead in a german car (G-Wagon excluded)

Thumb Up

Thanks Charles, It was what I was going for...Originally invented around the same time as "insania" and for obvious reasons.

You don't need to "dig out" a wrist watch. you simply lift your arm until it comes into view. Unless you are wearing long sleeves and gloves, watches are quite easy to view. operation may be an issue on something small, along with battery life.

I would like a HUD, but one that doesn't require me to look like a cyborg,

Holmes

Personally I'm waiting for the Google Monocle.

So much classier.

FAIL

Shocker, you went to a bricks and mortar store and paid more money?

Try glassesdirect.co.uk or one of the other online spec providers, for the same hipster pair at the same £25 price...

Bronze badge

You refer to situations like

>From wearing gloves to using a bike / car (1) to sitting (more likely: standing) in the tram or bus where I need >one hand for my attache case and one for steading myself

Silver badge
Happy

Cars with a HUD

Sadly the ill fated 'new SAAB 95' had one.

I know a dealer with one '10' plate going for £18K.

not a german car but just as boring and I'm a SAAB driver.

Silver badge

A wrist watch has exactly the same image problem as glasses do to be honest. I don't find glasses to be particularly geeky but amongst the segment of the population that do, watches are also given the same stigma.

Not just any wearable tech though, oh no. Say you've got something kinda geeky, not the kind of thing that everyone is into - like, I dunno, [a watch]? That might not take off, because not everyone wants to wear [a watch], see?

Trollface

How do you stead yourself? Or do I want to know?

8]-

Facepalm

You stead yourself too. Is this a new trend?

Bronze badge

Personally I'm waiting for the Google Monocle.

So much classier.

I and everyone else in my private box at the opera sneer at your Google Monocle. The truly fashionable use the Glorgnette.

Thumb Up

With all the electronics hidden in the accompanying top hat.

Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one.

Except for this short list

1) The name Google or Apple on the side

2) Their mates wearing one

3) Some tard from Apple telling them they wont

Silver badge
Megaphone

Re: Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one.

Forget that, just partner with Ray-Ban and tint them brown.

Changing from glasses to sunglasses makes them instantly cool. FACT.

Gav
Boffin

Re: Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one.

If those who haven't worn glasses, won't ever wear glasses, how did those who do wear glasses start out? No-one is born wearing glasses, there always has to be a first time.

If there's a distinct benefit to wearing glasses (like being able to see things) then people will wear them. Same applies to Google glasses or any other augmented reality tech.

Sure, the first adopters will be get odd looks and comments in the street. But so did those using mobile phones.

Anonymous Coward

People who didn't start out wearing glasses but then started either:

1. Can't see without corrective lenses and don't like/can't afford contacts

2. Are lame fashion victims who think glasses make them look cool/nerdy

I hope to never need them. My father was long-sighted and my mother was short-sighted. My sister has astigmatism but both me and my brother have excellent uncorrected vision, so maybe we managed to combine the errors and cancel them out. My sister can't see at all, which explains her choice of husband (oooh....oh no you di'ent!)

Gav
Boffin

"I hope to never need them."

Keep telling yourself that. One day you'll be late middle aged and you'll discover, amazingly, that you're not immune to the inevitable fallibilities of the human body.

Paris Hilton

Just show the kids Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot explaining how she likes men who wear glasses. That'll get at least half the kids on board.

Thumb Up

Very true. I recall the time (and perhaps even thinking) 'urrgh just look at that prick talking on his cell phone'. And for what it is worth, I'd welcome Google glass to watch news and videos while exercising (treadmill, spin bike, rowing etc..) where a display is not otherwise readily available (and the price were $200 or less.) Also, everybody HAS worn glasses. Tim have you ever heard of sunglasses? Prick.

WTF?

Why Kidz?

Why this obsession with what the kids like? Kids just roll from one trendy gimic to the next. If you've got ground-breaking tech that performs a useful function, why not target it at adults who can actually make use of it?

Facepalm

Re: Why Kidz?

You've never been involved in marketing or selling anything have you?

Bronze badge
Terminator

I believe you have your answer in your question:

"If you've got ground-breaking tech that performs a useful function, "

It's the useful part that's found wanting.

Silver badge

Google glass could be amazingly useful for folks like me, who can't put a name to a face even when it's their own family.

Google glass facial recognition. Looking at... "Barney".

Would make life so much easier / so much less complicated.

Unhappy

Don't you have the slightest concern about privacy?

Silver badge

Not really no.

Anonymous Coward

"Don't you have the slightest concern about privacy?"

Do you?

I guess you don't have a supermarket loyalty card, never pay by credit or debit card, always cover your face while walking around the street, only ever surf the net with TOR, take your battery out of your mobile phone whenever you are travelling?

Privacy-wise your ISP, your Card company and your Mobile phone company have databases full of personally identifiable (no anonymisation) data which the allow access to with government requests quite readily and are prepared to sell that actual data without a fuss. None of this has an opt-out option or a 'delete' option or a way around it.

Even the worst data-miners like Facebook and Microsoft have some controls in place. Slightly better companies like Google even have full access to delete see all your data and ways to make sure that things aren't collected.

Bronze badge
WTF?

@wowfood

"Google glass could be amazingly useful for folks like me, who can't put a name to a face even when it's their own family."

Me thinks it's time for the "home" now @wowfood. Be a good boy, and put your arms in this nice white jacket we have for you. Come on now...be a dear.

Your nurse will be along shortly to give you some nice happy pills, which will make you sleep better.

Trollface

Re: @wowfood

I have another problem, I keep waking up and seeing this odd face in the mirror and searching for a name for it...can you help me mister?

Pint

Gates said:

"If someone wants those companies to pay more tax they should change the rules. It is not incumbent on those companies to take shareholder money and pay huge amounts that are not required."

Much as I want to say this is bollocks, it isn't. In the same way that the concept of limited liability and a company were controversial a hundred years ago (viz Salomon), so is this now. If I chose to invest some of my own money in a company, I am expecting that company to do its best with it, and to give me back as much as it can. If the law says they can shuffle their operations around the world to increase my payback then that suits me.

And as Gates says, if you don't like it change the rules.

Beer, coz that's what I'll buy with my returns.

Flame

Re: Gates said:

The 'a hundred years ago' argument is facile in any reasoned discussion about the impact on society of loophole manipulating corporations etc.

It's all well and good saying I can invest in Global Corp X and not care about the effect it has on a local economy by not contributing back into the society where it can hamper the innovation and effectively stamp out potential competition.

It is a moral issue, and it needs to be addressed.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Paris Hilton

I always wanted glasses

When I was a kid my eyesight was always too good, so I didn't ever get glasses. I even pondered how I could make my eyesight worse so that I could get them and not feel left out.

I still think glasses make a woman look sexier. Hmmm maybe it's a fetish. However I'm not sure the current Google Glass would make anyone look sexier.

Pint

Re: I always wanted glasses

Well, might well be an app to make *other* people look sexier when looking at them while wearing GG.

Maybe something like a "Beer goggles" app

Meh

But I don't wear a watch either...

.. stopped mid eighties, kept in the pocket, or on a desk, so that I could write better and keep a track of time during exams. Since then my life is surrounded by time pieces, on PC display, on the wall in nearly every room I frequent, my phone, my car etc. I am unlikely to start wearing one again unless it's very light and actually does something important that my phone can't do (unlikely).

Silver badge

Re: But I don't wear a watch either...

I'd buy it if it came with a build in mini taser.

Every watch needs a built in mini taser.

I think it depends on what you do as much as personal choice. I like having a watch on my wrist as it is a convienient way for me to keep track of things, I teach and time management in class is very important. It's also good for me when out and about as I don't like getting my phone out in public too much.

Still, one day I'll do a "Peter Fonda", throw it away and ride off (see Easy Rider if you don't know what I'm on about).

PJI
Bronze badge
Happy

A good watch (design and quality) is a nice piece of jewellery (the only jewellery I ever wear) with a practical use. Mine, being automatic, never runs out of battery; it does not play up because I dropped it or wore it while swimming or snorkelling or in the shower; become hard to see in bright light; mind being banged against a rock when climbing (yes, it is an expensive one) or, being on my wrist, need me to expose my fingers to swipe the screen, or hunt through pockets or bags and wonder if I lost it, or do without the time when running or posing on the beach. I do not have to turn it off on aeroplanes or put it in a special tray to pass through security systems (well, just once I was asked). Being a classical design, I never feel the need to upgrade or change to the latest and those who notice (it is fairly discreet) always admire it, just in case I need reassurance about my taste. It really does just work, year in, year out.

In fact, traditional watches are selling well now and I like not all my extras being electronic, needing charging and a course to use them ..., though I have got this fantastic running watch (not a Garmin).

Anonymous Coward

recently joined the club

So I discovered I would benefit (slightly) from glasses, took me a year to choose some I liked, but now I prefer to wear them from a style point of view. What can I say, the look suits me. So yes, you can get a kid whose never worn glasses to wear them - they just need to have style / look cool / make a fashion statement.

Re: recently joined the club

Huh?

Anonymous Coward

" Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one"

I remember when smartphones were considered geeky. And when dental braces weren't considered a sign of wealth.

The youth of today

Really? I remember our first colour TV set and people saying that was a gimmick that wouldn't catch on. Holy shit I am old.

WTF?

He's just not Steve is he?

"Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one"

Oh, I bet you a pile of polo-necks that if it's white and shiny enough, has the apple logo on it, and is priced eye-wateringly high, then people will buy and wear it. These people think it's OK to take holiday snaps with a 10" tablet.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: He's just not Steve is he?

Exactly. Steve would have told the public what they wanted, while giving it to them.

Thumb Down

Still waiting!

I'm still waiting for a watch that will *TELL* me the time. Every watch I've ever owned has failed to do this - I always have to look at them and read the time off the face. I did briefly have a bedside clock which would speak the time if you pressed a button on it, but again that requires me to do something. I'm waiting for the watch will detect me thinking I wonder what time it is and then tell me.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Still waiting!

Seek no further:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/shop/Pages/Category.aspx?Category=talking_watches

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.