Disk drive giant Western Digital has announced a new five-tier data centre storage strategy, with a new Se drive targeted at scale-out NAS filers and cloud storage. The industry leader's profits have been flagging of late, so it must be looking for ways to reassure shareholders and investors that it hasn't fallen behind trends …
I knew it would all end in tiers.
I have a nice little stack of non functioning HD's by my desk, (acquired over the years from various emergency swap outs), which I need to get around to decommissioning with extreme prejudice, (i.e. big hammer). They all appear to be Western Digital. Odd that.
Funny, mine is a tall stack of failed and failing Seagates. Never lost a single Samsung or WD 3.5".
More reliability would help.
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Review Tough Banana Pi: a Raspberry Pi for colour-blind diehards
- Product round-up Ten Mac freeware apps for your new Apple baby
- Analysis Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray
- Chromecast video on UK, Euro TVs hertz so badly it makes us judder – but Google 'won't fix'