Feeds

back to article Tim Cook: Wearable tech's nice, but Google Glass will NEVER BE COOL

Tim Cook reckons that wearable tech is "incredibly interesting", but he doesn't think Google Glass will appeal to everyone. Speaking at the All Things D Digital Conference, Cook hinted at the existence of the rumoured iWatch and dissed the likely popularity of Google's foray into wearable technology. "I'm interested in a great …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Meh

Cook says:-

"Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one* - until we stick a half-eaten fruit logo on it?

He's also never heard of sunglasses...

Silver badge

Re: Cook says:-

That's he's never heard of 'soon to be patented sunglasses'.

Anonymous Coward

That's his point. People either wear glasses to see or glasses to reduce glare from the sun. If you have to wear glasses to read your email or look things up then you (a) can't look cool in shades and (b) wear your usual glasses.

Gold badge
Happy

"Nothing that will convince a kid that's never worn glasses or a band to wear one*

He's also never heard of sunglasses...

You're obviously less cynical than I am. Because what I thought was: He's obviously never heard of product placement.

If you give celebs enough money, they'll wear anything. Often you just need to give them the product for free. They do seem to love a freebie...

Silver badge

" If you have to wear glasses to read your email or look things up then you (a) can't look cool in shades and (b) wear your usual glasses."

But you can get shades that match your prescription (as I have, sort of*) - so (b) is covered, though (a) is an arguable point, both with shades, and shades that match your prescription.

* Prescription updated, shades not. Must rectify that at some point!

Silver badge
Devil

@AC "People either wear glasses to see or glasses to reduce glare from the sun"

I really wish people would only wear sunglasses to reduce glare from the sun… Unfortunately, there are far too many who wear sunglasses after dark. One guy I knew even wore two pairs of sunglasses after dark: One on his eyes, and one on his hair, to hold in place his fashionably-ruffled hairdo.

Bod

"If you have to wear glasses to read your email or look things up then you (a) can't look cool in shades and (b) wear your usual glasses."

I'm sure they can still look cool, but besides that... people wear watches to tell the time, if you have to use a watch to read emails or look things up then, you'll get a lot of cramp in your arm ;)

Not to mention look like a kid from the 80s who still thinks "digital watches are a pretty neat idea".

Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC "People either wear glasses to see or glasses to reduce glare from the sun"

"One guy I knew even wore two pairs of sunglasses after dark: One on his eyes, and one on his hair, to hold in place his fashionably-ruffled hairdo."..Whilst checking is iPhone every 2 seconds, abalancing his iPad whilst updating his facvebook profile on his way back to his 4x4!

WOW he must be really interesting because he's got all the "cool" stuff!

What a c**t!

Silver badge

Re: @AC "People either wear glasses to see or glasses to reduce glare from the sun"

@Obviously.

S'Funny - the C word was exactly the one I was thinking of.

Bronze badge
Boffin

@ratfox: > Unfortunately, there are far too many who wear sunglasses after dark.

Corey Hart?

Bronze badge

Re: "half-eaten fruit logo"

It does make you wonder why it's half-eaten, is it rotten or did the owner find a worm in it?

Facepalm

"He's also never heard of sunglasses..."

Or, for that matter, Harry Potter fandom!

Silver badge

I sometimes wear two pars of glasses, but only one pair are sunglasses. One does reside on the top of my head, when I do.

In fairness to me though, both are a rather strong prescription, and normally it means I have been going in and out of buildings on a sunny day.

If they want this to catch on, they need to develop a way to apply it to whatever glasses are considered "fashionable" or happen to be my prescription. And maybe get it bright enough to use on a sunny day.

Thumb Up

Re: "half-eaten fruit logo"

Didn't Snow White take just one bite? Perhaps all the cool kids are getting the same effect.

Silver badge

Whatever happened to photosensitive lenses like Transisions that shade when exposed to sunlight?

Anonymous Coward

"@Obviously.

S'Funny - the C word was exactly the one I was thinking of."

He usually has that effect on people.

Silver badge
Pirate

Bugger subtlety, I want a google Eye Drive. Preferably without the "fail safe" bit.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Eye_Drive

I can't imagine Steve Jobs

saying that "nothing will convince a kid who's only ever had a tiny little phone to carry around a big slab of glass" back in 2007...

Re: I can't imagine Steve Jobs

No, of course...unless a competitor had launched it.

Anonymous Coward

I don't remember Jobs ever saying that a tablet computer was a mobile replacement.

Go back to his original pitch, it was a device between a mobile and a laptop. Some people carry laptops around all the time, they could actually just carry a tablet around if they're mainly using it for online purposes.

I was talking about the iPhone. The clue was the date. The iPad didn't come out until 2010.

When the iPhone launched, most of my friends had very small mobile phones and the trend had broadly been for things to get smaller and smaller. In 2006 my mobile was less than a half the size of my current handset, for example. Then the iPhone comes along - a big slab of glass compared to a lot of other devices around at the time.

Bronze badge
Happy

My mobile telephone still is small and does more of what I want and need than a glass slab. Even its depreciated battery last longer than that in a glass slab thingie.

Thank god I do not want to be a prat, oops 'cool'.

Anonymous Coward

Wearing tech is not cool, unless it is on the wrist and sporting a munched fruit logo. Then OMG, *gasp*, fainting fanboi in the aisles.

Mr. Cook. Speaking as someone with experience in the field, the coolest thing Apple can have is a stable stock price.

Anonymous Coward

the coolest thing Apple can have is a stable stock price.

Because nothing says "cool" like financial stability.... Remember that Blockheads song, "Sex, drugs and an ISA"

Anonymous Coward

Re: the coolest thing Apple can have is a stable stock price.

Speaking as someone who manages a massive multinational corporation, I agree. And I have also experienced a field.

Anonymous Coward

"Tim Cook reckons that wearable tech is "incredibly interesting", but he doesn't think Google Glass will appeal to everyone."

What? Like the MEGA FAIL iPhone which has appealed to the lowest common denominator!

Experience shows, be wary of IT types carrying iPhone! You'll have to dig yourself out of the hole they will leave you in. But at least you'll have some nice pretty graphs/reports.

Anonymous Coward

The wrist is always more acceptable than the head. Unless of course you have no arms.

Things on the wrist can be covered with clothing when you're out and about. Having £1000 worth of technology on your head is like walking around with "rob me" tattooed on your face.

Stop

It won't be a grand for long. One Apple^WGoogle have demonstrated that the market exists, Google^Wsomeone else will enter the market and compete on price.

Silver badge

Plus I would think a savvy robber would be on the lookout for the telltale bulge on the wrist of a long sleeve that indicates someone is wearing.

Silver badge
Devil

Ripe

"ripe for exploration".

Shouldn't that read "Exploitation."

FAIL

On the subject of that pesky stock price, he said that the fall was "frustrating" for everyone at Apple, but put it down to "cycles" in the market.

LMAO. Since Nov 2012, AAPL and the S&P500 have been moving in entirely the opposite directions. This on top of AAPL having a Beta of 0.9 says the following:

1. Tim Cook is no fool. He knows 'cycles' have nothing to do with AAPL's share price performance.

2. His remarks were 'throw away' lines to non-finance-savvy journos. He knew they would lap it up, and they did.

This doesn't detract from the fact that the company under his leadership is in trouble. Investors have gotten a better return over the last 6-7 months from investing in the S&P500. He really does need to produce one of those 'several game changers' or he'll be out of a job. The company owners won't pay $$$ to a guy when they can do better themselves with a simple passive investment strategy.

APPLE FAIL.

cycles

Obviously, he was only talking about Apple and not the whole market. A singe stock can have a cycle independent of the wider sector. Most of the price fluctuations have been based on pure sentiment and emotion. I am surprised they are not more volatile, but I guess the bottom line is that they are so incredibly profitable that it balances out the hype and despair.

Anonymous Coward

Re: cycles

"I guess the bottom line is that they are so incredibly profitable that it balances out the hype and despair."

Yeah! They are going to need those illegally/immorally held funds!

FAIL

"A singe stock can have a cycle independent of the wider sector"

That's the whole point. Cock was talking about the 'market' being in cycles. AAPL has a Beta of 0.9 while its price performance has not at all tracked the S&P500, ie. it's not following the market cycles. It's on it's own 'cycle' - one that is driving the stock into the ground.

As to price fluctuations being based on 'pure sentiment and emotion' - Do you really think that the big money men (handling billions of funds) drive their investment decisions on 'pure sentiment and emotion'? Do stockbroker analysts all throw fundamentals out of the window and recommend to the firms' clients based on 'hype and despair'. WTF are you talking about?

'they are so incredibly profitable'... that their share price has tanked while the overall market has moved onwards and upwards.

That type of 'armchair' stock analysis has no place in reality and is the same sort of shyte you get from Tarot Cards, Chartists and Palmistry.

ARMCHAIR ANALYST MEGA FAIL

Anonymous Coward

Re: "A singe stock can have a cycle independent of the wider sector"

Two words: Facebook flotation.

Of course the "big money men" aren't driven by pure sentiment and emotion. They are driven by the desire to make money...by manipulating share prices on the very edge of legality, and that means up as well as down.

Consumer product sales are driven by, among other things, sentiment and emotion. So manipulating them affects share prices. And the way the money people get rich is by making shares go up and down, and creaming off profits either way.

We don't know why the Apple price goes up and down so much but I suspect that, if we did, we would be very angry with some men in hedge funds and banks.

Anonymous Coward

$13b per quarter

I expect that continuing to deliver a $13 billion cash surplus per quarter will suffice for Cook to keep his job.

Silver badge
Meh

Watches

The people in their twenties that I know (admittedly a fairly small sample) never wear watches. If you want to know the time, look at your phone.

When I were a lad, being given a watch was almost a rite of passage, but these days you give them a watch and it gets left in a drawer.

Re: Watches

I have a few watches and clocks around(I like time tracking) but frankly unless I have some specific reason for it I won't wear a watch with me and haven't worn one in years.

I have all the time in the world for what I usually need to do and don't need to be tied down to when something and some such needs to be done.

Anonymous Coward

Smartphones took the place of digital watches as the "wow" thing to show your mates.

In the 80s having a watch that played James Bond or something was something to be amazed by. The number of alarms your watch had was how it was judged. The first speaking watch was a bit "wow" for about 5 minutes :)

Anonymous Coward

"The people in their twenties that I know (admittedly a fairly small sample) never wear watches. If you want to know the time, look at your phone."

Oh so tragic! Just wait those "friends" will be wearing a watch if Apple designs and definately not makes one.

Then the tune will change again. As you age you will realise just how weak people really are!

Anonymous Coward

"The people in their twenties that I know" are a right let down! Talk about lost generation!

You can buy a twenty something with a whizzy advert and a facebook like. What a disappointment!

Silver badge

My reason for not wearing a watch is a little more practical: they tend to sweat on my wrist.

Apple isn't cool

If Apple is cool then why do they only own a 20% market share?

Gold badge

Re: Apple isn't cool

Because most people aren't cool. Vague memories of my teenage years suggests that a 20:80 split between the (largely self-identifying, I have to say) cool set and the plebs isn't too wide of the mark.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple isn't cool

You obviously don't understand how coolness works. Ubiquity is not coolness. If everyone had a Ferrari would they be cool? of course not, so even Ferrari have decided to cut production to maintain exclusivity,

For something to be cool they're often less obtainable, often due to higher price.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple isn't cool - so even Ferrari have decided to cut production

Quite right, if they didn't cut production our town centres would be completely clogged up with Ferraris. Nothing at all to do with the fact that the annual depreciation would buy you a new E-class Merc every year.

Anonymous Coward

Nothing new to see here

"Nothing looks stupider; these getups are the modern-day equivalent of the slide-rule scabbard or the calculator pouch on the belt, marking the user as belonging to a class that is at once above and far below human society."

Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash, 1992

but not as far below as (alleged) tech gurus who channel 1990s SciFi !

Gimp

Given the attempted positioning of the recently-announced xBox One, Apple might have to give serious consideration towards entering the console market.

I have to admit that thought crossed my mind while reading the article. How long before the claim that Apple invented gaming?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.