Feeds

back to article SAP launches mostly-free online courseware

Massive Online Open Courses, aka MOOCs, are flavour of the month thanks to the huge numbers of students signing up for courses offered by some of the world's most prestigious universities. Little wonder then that one of the world's more prestigious software vendors, SAP, has clambered aboard the bandwagon with a very MOOC-like …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Pint

checked

in the HR area there is nothing I could find for free (stuff that is actual, interesting for me).

this looks in my opinion like a glorified sap-university website.

it's nice to have it though - i don't see it at all as a mostly-free online courseware.

also, it offers classroom courses as well - which is what you should take anyway, if you want to really learn solidly.

Facepalm

Re: checked

should downvote myself here - i clicked on the wrong link on the same page. the courses are in the top navigation menu, not in the text of the announcement :(.

So two courses so far available all about in-memory (Hana related) and development on Hana from Thomas Jung (he's awesome).

Bronze badge

Slow start

I've undertaken a number of official SAP courses; generally pretty good, although I found that they were better if you had already covered some of the material before hand. On each occasion, there were 1 or 2 people that were complete newbies and they were obviously struggling to get to grips with some of the material.

One of the courses was via virtual delivery; the same material as the normal course. I had a slight issue with audio, but that was probably due to my broadband. The costs of those courses was high; (c. $700 / €600 per day). If I were sending staff on a course, I would want to be certain that they were getting the best value from them.

Online courses can be the way forward (especially if they are free) but that can be an issue. I've found that some staff don't actually appreciate free courses and although they start with good intentions, they often don't pursue the course in the same way as a classroom course; and in many cases, they drop out before completion.

It will be interesting to see if they expand the number of courses

Thumb Up

Re: Slow start

Hi Magister,

totally agree with you. Online is way too expensive in my opinion and you have to be very disciplined to have the same knowledge at the end (almost only disadvantages). What I heard is that they are buying the online course, link the output to a projector and bring more than one person in the room (only one of the listeners is talking on the microphone though). Maybe that's the reason for the high price.

Basically an online course is always more mechanical than a classroom - one needs to do more brain muscle flexing, and that is quite boring. Being in front of a computer screen gives you too much distraction opportunity as well, once you get bored.

Online only ok for quickies (1 - 2 - 3 h)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Slow start

so i tried to take part in this course. two weeks later i can't seem to find enough will to motivate myself to study there. There is always stuff that has more priority than this (for instance testing, documentation, web design books). So it's probably not the right stuff for me. After all learning in the university was a slow affair back then and it seems to be a slow boring affair also online, since it's done the same way. I prefer to be "forced" in a classroom.

This topic is closed for new posts.