back to article Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire

Facebook's popularity is slumping in the UK as users become fed up with being bombarded with advertising, a YouGov survey has revealed. In a report examining social media use among web-savvy Brits, the market research firm found a 9 per cent drop in Facebook usage since April 2012. Among the people who had quit Facebook, 23 per …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Hotel Facebook

You can check out anytime you like, but your personal details can never leave....

Silver badge
Windows

Re: Hotel Facebook

Thats why yopu should NEVER submit wholly genuine details. Enough to get your account, yes, enough for them to launch ad after ad at you with no means of stopping them?. No.

Every advert i get on FB (and i have the most minimal account to keep in touch with the rest of my sheeple mates) gets reported as being sexually explicit. Just to fuck up their figures..

Try it, its quite satisfying. Also, living in Tongo means i have very few targeted ads as its the least populated place i could find to say i came from!!!!

Fuck you.......Bitch...

JDX
Gold badge

What a small and sad life you lead.

Silver badge

"Every advert I get on FB...gets reported as being sexually explicit."

That'll just get your feedback logged as malicious and ignored. I would say it's better to honestly select "Just not interested" in all the ads for cars, stock trading etc. If everyone did that FB would be put in an awkward position when they try to drum up ad sales for the new Lexus or whatever and the advertiser wants to see data on the level of interest /engagement with ads.

Silver badge

Just hide every ad and tick the Uninteresting box. It's true, because I am not interested in their advertising and --as stated above -- it should undermine Facebook's space sales.

Bronze badge

Or use an ad blocking add on to your web browser.

Silver badge

Re: What a small and sad life you lead.

s/small/sensible/;

s/sad/amusing/;

Now using sed regexes in a forum post... that might be a bit sad. I'll just go and cry in the corner. :(

Bronze badge

@Auburnman I've never had an advert about stock trading or cars on Facebook. I filled in my interests with things I genuinely like, and lo and behold I have adverts relevant to me which sometimes tell me about things I was unaware of. If everyone stopped trying to be clever and fighting the system they may find they actually don't mind advertising since it would be relevant to them. If you don't have sufficient hobbies and interests to generate relevant adverts then you won't be happy regardless what Facebook does.

Anonymous Coward

s/ooh look i can find and replace/bore off/

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Anonymous Twat in not-reading-the-whole-post SHOCKER.

Anonymous Coward

"Or use an ad blocking add on to your web browser."

Just what I was thinking! I use AB+ on my browser and I use FB for keeping touch with the rellies and I don't see a single ad in any page. Loads of crap JPGs from people with more time than sense but you know, take the rough with the smooth!

Silver badge
FAIL

"Or use an ad blocking add on to your web browser."

*bzzzzt* I was wondering who would be the first to mention "ad-blocker"

Ad-Blocker / Flash-block / No-script etc,

blah blah, this is a TECH site. We get it!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

" If everyone stopped trying to be clever and fighting the system they may find they actually don't mind advertising since it would be relevant to them. "

Exactly! It's far better from the days where websites had flashing flash adverts saying "you've one an ipod" etc.

Silver badge
Happy

haha three downvotes.

Whenever there is an article relating to advertising, there are always comments about ad-block etc.

It's as tiring and as predictable as Eadon with his anti-MS rants

Silver badge
Windows

"Re: Hotel Facebook

What a small and sad life you lead."

"What a relatively private, un-interupted, law abiding, tax paying, junk mail / phone calls etc free life i lead".

There, corrected that for you.

Bronze badge
Linux

I claim to be a penguin (see logo) and to live on Marion Island* (human population 0).

Still get central heat adverts however :-(

*It is part of ward 55 of Cape Town

Go

Or use an ad blocking add on to your web browser.

Even the best ad blockers can be a bit patchy at filtering out FB ads and I've yet to find one that even remotely works on the fb mobile site on Android.

FBPurity OTOH is pretty useful. As well as killing ads you can filter out all the uninteresting attention-seeking pish like app posts and other people's likes etc., ending up with a news feed that's simply full of the things your friends have - imagine this - actually typed and posted all by themselves.

All mention of it on facebook itself is verboten and seems to get you marked as "a spammer" if you link to it, especially on public pages/posts.

That just leaves the mobile site. Anyone got any tips on how to kill ads on that?

I do the exact opposite to what most people do - I click on at least one ad a day, specifically those that I have absolutely no interest in! Sure, that makes FB show me more ads but it's just too much fun thinking about how they are marketing me :)

h3
Bronze badge

This very site has a similar annoying thing on the right hand side. (Yahoo tumblr thing) it does seem like it works.

Happy

Been waiting a long time for people to catch on to the reality of what FB is.

Devil

...and you just can't kill the Beast.

Headmaster

...or did you mean "boor"?

Silver badge
Holmes

If you're not paying for it

You're the product, not the customer.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: If you're not paying for it

The marketeers have overestimated the depth of the sheeple effect gold mine. By far.

If we step back a little and give it a thought - just how many times am I going to be interested in something just because all of my mates are interested in it.

Under "natural disease propagation" conditions - probably a lot. However, that is not necessarily valid under forced propagation conditions when the social graph is being abused to feed crap I do not want down my throat. Same as in real life - we "filter out" particular people's "recommendations" if they constantly recommend us crap.

The correct model for the value of Social is the infectious disease model. In that case, it is likely to follow an "infection curve" where it grows exponential initially leveling and then _DROPPING_ off because the pool of "susceptible" targets has dried out. We are definitely past the exponential curve now so it is only a matter of time until we get into the "drop of the cliff" zone. Pass the popcorn please, it will be lovely to watch.

Bronze badge

I dunno, how many times are you interested in the article in The Reg on social media?

I dunno, how many times are you interested in the article in The Reg on social media?

Whatever that number is, the number of times you'd "be interested in something because other people are interested in it" is more than that.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Zucky is pretty good at biz

MS has been top for 25 years an still hasn't sunk. FB isn't going anywhere soon... not until something else comes to replace it.

Silver badge

The interesting bits of MS - there are a few, none of them at board level - will eventually be bought by Google. Just like everything else.

As for replacements - Faceborg is no longer where the cool kids live. Now it's basically AOL without the dial-up.

Like AOL, MySpace, and the rest, the brand will remain. But advertisers are already losing interest in it.

The next big thing hasn't sploded yet, but something will have turned up by 2015 to replace FB.

Devil

Hilariously Eadon finds the Microsoft angle in yet another non-Microsoft story, I don't know whether to 'like' it or report it

Rob
Bronze badge

"A case can be made that the most solid social network out there is Twitter, they are stable because they are heavily promoted and used by the media, to the point where twitter ID's are mentioned by the media much like website addresses and email addresses."

Not quite the right example to use, Twitter is mentioned in the media as most Twitter users have left their profiles open to view by the public hence it's easier for media channels to reference them. It's nigh on impossible for them to reference FB as a source as most of the profiles are locked down. Twitter does what it's intended too, it's a broadcast channel.

Angel

I dumped Facebook after they started keeping all messages server-side near-permanently.

For those who want to dump it: Search 'How do I close my account?' (sans-quotes) on Facebook help.

Takes 2 weeks and they claim all data is gone, I've still yet to file a DPA request but when I have spare cash I will to make sure everything is permanently gone. Been a while, more than a year (I think) and perv-power lost its charm on me so haven't even glanced at it since.

Silver badge
FAIL

How do DPA requests work

with US companies ?

Just curious.

Bronze badge

How long do other companies keep your data?

Probably a lot longer than 2 weeks.

Someone said they sign up using a fake name (and then they said some dumb stuff).

Actually using a pen name is starting to become popular on FB as is having a second account.

Gold badge
FAIL

Re: How do DPA requests work

I seem to remember reading something about FB operating in Europe (They wouldn't make much money selling targeted ad-space in Europe if they couldn't sell in Europe!)

Last time I heard, everything was routed through Ireland, so that's the place to look when you do your "DPA". Remember that the "DPA" comes from a European initiative, and while it might not be called "DPA" where they register their company, the rules will be very similar.

They keep some data for far longer, they claim it to all be gone after 2 weeks but that's not what an investigation turned up.

Bronze badge
Windows

one in 20 users having clicked on an ad

Huh? So many? I thought by now everyone knows, that clicking on ads is a likely way to get 0wn3d.

Bronze badge

Re: one in 20 users having clicked on an ad

Are you really an IT professional?

Anything you do online is "one way of getting owned." You can't visit any kind of website without danger.

Bronze badge
Holmes

@WatAWorld: Re: one in 20 users having clicked on an ad

While I agree, that anything you do online has a risk of getting owned, there are some actions that involve a higher risk than others. Following links to unknown websites is one of them.

It would not be the first time that ads are used for slinging malware.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/15/opera_blackhole/ -

"Malvertising" incidents are far from rare. Previous victims have included Spotify, the London Stock Exchange, The Pirate Bay, ITV.com and Major League Baseball, among many others

It has been written by El Reg, so it must be the truth. Right?

Trollface

Re: @WatAWorld: one in 20 users having clicked on an ad

"It would not be the first time that ads are used for slinging malware.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/15/opera_blackhole/"

And you expect us to follow that link eh?

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: @WatAWorld: one in 20 users having clicked on an ad

Good answer - have a beer!

Bronze badge

> clicking on ads

Noscript solves that one.

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: > clicking on ads

Noscript solves that one.

It does for you and me. But how many people outside of IT really use Noscript on a regular base? My experience is that they turn it off quickly, because it gets in the way.

Mine's the one with all these patches and no Java or Flash, please.

Pint

Re: > clicking on ads

Beer here, too.

Social Marketing

The secret of successful social marketing is actually really simple.

Produce a quality product that satisfies the customers needs & they will tell all their friends.

or

Produce a crappy product & people will tell their friends.

JDX
Gold badge

Cue idiots...

"Facebook is about to disappear"

No, it has merely (finally) reached the peak of stupidly fast growth and now has to take a reality check. Until something comes along to usurp it, FB will remain a big player.

Also remember this is specific to the UK, who are probably like 3% of FaceBook's user-base.

FB is no longer the cool new thing but it is still the dominant player... look how many decades MS has stayed top and how slowly their position is eroded even with Vista and W8.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Cue idiots...

The difference being that most social media businesses rely far more heavily on a 'critical mass' of users and an expectation that numbers will increase than most other businesses do. Numbers everything, as MySpace, Bebo etc found to their cost; if half your friends leave facebook, I'd say there was a far higher chance the other half will follow than with a search engine or online retailer. At the very least your own usage will decrease greatly, as you still need to communicate with the non facebook friends by whichever means they now use - email, twitter, whatever. Less eyeballs on ads, brand messages etc, which tends to attract negative press and fuel a general perception of decline.

It may not disappear, but a bit of the shine wearing off and a relatively modest decline in numbers has far more potential to become a complete rout than would apply to similar declines affecting say, Amazon, or given the relative longevity of the individual product, Microsoft. Facebook's continuing dominance is more ephemeral than the current numbers make it look.

Anonymous Coward

People saying 'Facebook' will be around for a long time are being a bit naive, completely different model and market to a company like MS. Microsoft controlled the world of OSes because there weren't many genuine contenders around that could shove their marketing in your face like MS could. Facebook are a completely different paradigm, they got big by word of mouth, not spending hundreds of millions on advertising.

Like it or not, it's a different world now to when MS came up, businesses rise and fall a lot faster in the internet age. Anyone remember how big Myspace was? And where are they now?

Facebook usage is dropping, their IPO bombed, their phone bombed, they are getting crucified over taxes and privacy issues, they definitely seem to be on the downward path, rather than the opposite.

I partially agree with you, but...

Facebook are in a similar position to Microsoft in that they have the users and data already. I dont think there will be the mass exodus people are predicting when the next social networking fad comes along as peaople will be reluctant to move their data to it and rebuild connections. Also why would you when everyones already on facebook?

Sounds very similar to MS lock in on software and data formats that has massively helped it keep its dominant position.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums