Feeds

back to article 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test

The New South Wales Police Force, guardians of Australia's most-populous state, have gotten themselves into a panic over the Liberator, the 3D-printable pistol. The Force's Commissioner Andrew Schipione today appeared at a press conference to denounce the Liberator and urge residents of the State not to download plans for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

The Liberator - a bargain

Kill one, seriously injure another. and all with a single round

Anonymous Coward

Re: The Liberator - a bargain

It might, or might not work but in the confines of an aircraft where there maybe 6 of seven on them in the hands of the wrong people?

It won't be long before someone designed a modular firearm half the size of the original?

Silver badge

If you can sneak a plastic gun onto an aircraft, you can sneak a proper one on that won't blow up in your hands.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

That's out of date. There are better designs that don't have these issues:

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/the-lulz-liberator-25-gun-produced-on-a-cheap-desktop-3d-printer-fires-nine-shots_052013

Silver badge

> sneak a proper one on

Just improvise a slingshot, with a suitable hard projectile they can be lethal. Ask Goliath :)

Silver badge

I'd be more worried about a tanked up glaswegian than one of these one shot wonders.

Ru
Facepalm

Just improvise a slingshot,

They're bloody hard to use. I have a few of various lengths and materials at home, and whilst I'm pretty certain I could hit the broad side of a barn or a crowd of people, I'd be pretty pleased if I managed to hit a human-sized target standing still 10 metres away.

Little crossbows and catapults are vastly simpler to use without huge amounts of practise, or atlatls if you'd prefer to keep it neolithic style. Slings? not so much.

Bronze badge
Boffin

>> sneak a proper one on

>

> Just improvise a slingshot

Which is why Ryanair is the safest way to fly. No room to swing anything let alone a swingshot (or dead cat).

Anonymous Coward

The Register, armchair commentary:

"'Liberator': Proof that you CAN'T make a working gun in a 3D printer"

Forbes:

"When high tech gunsmith group Defense Distributed test-fired the world’s first fully 3D-printed firearm earlier this month, some critics dismissed the demonstration as expensive and impractical, arguing it could only be done with a high-end industrial 3D printer and that the plastic weapon wouldn’t last more than a single shot. Now a couple of hobbyists have proven them wrong on both counts."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2013/05/20/25-gun-created-with-cheap-3d-printer-fires-nine-shots-video/

Expecially if you've not paid the £50 dead cat surcharge.

Duct tape - the handyman's friend.

Anonymous Coward

speaking as a former Glasgow resident, you should be if you make a lot of comments like that.

Anonymous Coward

I read this recently....

'You will soon be able to download and print your own gun from the Internet.'

If you have to consider for even a second if that statement makes any sense at all you have failed as a human being, please kill yourself before you end up killing others.

Silver badge

Is it me or am I missing something..oh I know.. where do people get the plastic firing cap designs from?

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

You miss the point - its a downloadable gun.

You just wait until you're on the aircraft and then use your iphone to get it!

Anonymous Coward

Hmm, they MUST find a way to detect it, otherwise there will be no point in installing a 3D printer in duty free (let's call it the principle of the water bottle). Duty free is a good source for weaponry anyway - combustable stuff and hand weapons (the shards of a broken thick glass whiskey bottle are IMHO going to be more lethal than a gun that needs a hammer to eject a spent cartridge).

Not worried - you don't find problems by detecting weapons, you find it by watching people.

What you're not taking into account is sneaking bullets. The x-ray machines are designed to point out ammunition. The people watching are also trained to see it, finally, they sniff for gunpowder.

Bronze badge

--What you're not taking into account is sneaking bullets. The x-ray machines are designed to point out ammunition. The people watching are also trained to see it, finally, they sniff for gunpowder.--

Somebody even slightly clever will add a bit of metal so ammunition looks like something else. I don't believe that any TSA person in the USA is trained for anything and the training wouldn't take anyway. It's not difficult to get around the sniffer.

A single shot weapon that is also likely to be a one shot weapon is not the best tool for hijacking a plane.

The so-called terrorists are not our biggest problem these days, it's government. Most of them are out of control and looking for any means to implement laws and policies to curtail all of this freedom that has been infecting the world for some years now.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The Liberator - a bargain - Ask Goliath

You can't, you'd need to ask David.

Silver badge

Given that this one is already prone to exploding in the hand, one with 1/2 as much material in it.....

yeah thats altogether possible!

lol

Silver badge

Fudgery?

I suspect some fudgery here. The "gun" that the police fired only managed to penentrate that far because it developed enough pressure to explode the barrel.

If they had printed a gun that was loose enough to not explode then the penentration would have been pathetic.

The .380 only gets to 1000fps in a proper steel barrel of approx 4 inches. In a POS plastic unpressureised barrel it can surely not get much over 150-200 fps. A good slingshot could do better.

Bronze badge
Coat

In other news...

Fox News reports the US Department of Homeland Security has issued a bulletin to other law enforcement agencies declaring the Liberator “impossible” to stop and a source of “public safety risks”.

THE SKY IS FALLING!

I'll just grab my coat and be off.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: In other news...

> THE SKY IS FALLING!

It's only the printed one which is.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Re: (Streisland Effect && Do NOT press ME!) {GOTO FAIL;}

Exactly my thoughts. I would bet that more than one was spurred to download the plans by just this announcement.

…Could it be that the police estimated that having exploding and imprecise guns in the hands of the populace would diminish the number of proper guns bought illegally?

Childcatcher

"…Could it be that the police estimated that having exploding and imprecise guns in the hands of the populace would diminish the number of proper guns bought illegally?"

Alternatively the could be operating a form of darwinism; if you're stupid enough to print and attempt to fire one of these, maybe your genes aren't worthy of addition to the pool?

Joke

Sort of a self-service version of Saudi justice: crims blow their own hands off.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Do Not Do This Cool Thing

I wonder if it was a good idea to make it look like so much fun.

FAIL

Yeah, NSW finest are worried they're going to be undercut by skriptkiddies.

Did I imply that NSW P'lce Farce might be slightly inundated with criminals already, and be possibly a source of many of the actual real guns on our streets? I may have....

Also, BAN SUPERMARKETS and HARDWARE! You can kill people with stuff from them!

AUSTFAILIA - YOU'RE STANDING IT IN.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

has less to fear from the revolting exploding peasants

There, fixed that for you (where's the duct_tape_and_zipties icon?)

Gold badge
Coat

I doubt many will share your concerns. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one revolting peasant around here.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: Eadon Re: A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

"The ruling classes do not want the plebians to be armed...." As one of the many quite well-armed peasants in the UK, I would suggest it is more of a matter of keeping guns out of the hands of idiots, and you strike me as exactly the type of idiot that would try printing a Liberator just because you think it is "subversive" or "radical". I have (peasant) friends in Oz that also shoot regularly, they own weapons that cost a lot less than a 3D printer and are a lot more effective. Only the moronic will bother with the Liberator.

Facepalm

Re: Eadon A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

Are you aware how many morons there are in the world?

Re: Eadon A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

"Are you aware how many morons there are in the world?"

A lot more than there will be if they all print themselves a fancy new shootin' iron?

Stop

I'm not part of the ruling classes.

I don't want the plebians to be armed with guns because I've seen what they do in South London when given access to fireworks for a few weeks a year.

Silver badge
Meh

The ruling class could give a flying fuck about the plebeians being armed. I bought a shotgun at Wal-Mart last week to teach my wife to shoot trap: Total transaction time less than 10mins and just $550. It took less effort than checking into a hotel.

@Don Jefe Re: A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

Out of interest - what checks did you have to go though to be able to make said purchase in so short a time?

WTF?

Perhaps I am being naíve to the point of stupidity, but why is it that everybody seems to gang up on Eadon?

Silver badge

Re: A Controvertial Topic (for a change) @imsimil

His general Angry-Young-Man-Upon-The-Barricades-of-Life Forumwarrior attitude towards all things Microsoft/non-Linux may have something to do with that.

His physical age may be a tad higher, but mentally he never made it past the puberal ranting stage, which has ...soured... his reception amongst us Commentards a bit over the past months.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: @Don Jefe A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

For rifles or shotguns you show your ID, fill out the form with your SSN and they run an automated check to make sure you don't have any outstanding warrants or are a convicted felon. For pistols the checks are the same but there is a waiting period of a few days.

Anonymous Coward

So looking at the votes on this,

that is 8 Washington for president supporters, versus 19 supporters of Adolf Hitler and clones, because his police will make streets safe for everyone, and the trains run on time!

PS

the original quote is;

When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.”

― Thomas Jefferson

Big Brother

"I don't want the plebians to be armed with guns because I've seen what they do in South London when given access to fireworks for a few weeks a year."

Don't worry, those guys wont buy a 3D printer and kit,..

.... they'll just go down the pub and get six 9mm handguns that will cost less than the printer.

Anonymous Coward

Experience

Thumb Down

@despairing citizen

>> .... they'll just go down the pub and get six 9mm handguns that will cost less than the printer.

Which is why I don't want the laws changed to make it any *easier* or *cheaper* for them to do that, thanks.

The "laws" have nothing to do with it. For the record, a great many of the 9mms on the black market are from squaddies returning from Iraq/Afghan, who took them as "war prizes", and supposedly had them deactivated. Turns out the standard "deactivation" wasn't really much of a job, and it was very simple to re-activate them again in a machine shop. They've improved the process, but from what I've gathered it just was too little, too late.

In point of fact, when your nation is continuously "at war" for a decade, it will always be easy to buy illegal guns.

However, LEGAL guns (in the UK) are difficult, expensive, and painful to get. I know, I have the licenses and the hardware. So experience has shown me that "the laws" are not the problem, it is the people avoiding any laws at all. I am not anti-gun control, but I can say that further tightening is rather pointless....

Silver badge

Re: @Don Jefe A Controvertial Topic (for a change)

Probably the instant background check with the NCIC.

Contrary to hoplophobic rhetoric, the NRA isn't against keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, and this is a means that has been endorsed by them. The key components are that the feds don't get to keep the record and they aren't legally allowed to convert it to an electronic database.

Silver badge

@AC 24 May 13 14:28 GMT

Yeah, but since it showed up under Eadon's name it will get a lot of down votes as a result of Pavlovian down votes from low information reg readers.

Silver badge

For once Eadon is making sense. It's a well established statistical fact that gun control is counter productive as a crime reduction measure. Check out the statistics the FBI and UN have collected on the matter and the correlation between tight gun control and higher violent crime rates is pretty clear. I'm not suggesting a causual relationship, just demonstrating that gun control doesn't serve to deter crime. Our leaders have access to these statistics. Some of them -- Obama comes to mind -- I believe to be too intelligent to have ignored or misunderstood the statistics (though, to be fair, some of them are just idiots, like the one who tried to say high cap magazines were one time use). That, to me, makes me wonder about their motives when they suggest gun control.

OK I will bite.

The opposite is true and the fact that the overall crime rate in the US is slightly lower than the UK but the murder rate is much much higher is just one of many statistics which show the complete opposite. It would be interesting what explanation other than bizzare US attitude and laws about guns is suggested to explain this.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.