Ad giant Google is also considering snapping up mapping software firm Waze, which could spark a bidding war with Facebook over the business. Sources whispered to Bloomberg that Google was interested in the navigation firm - which is, of course, seeking a price tag of more than $1bn. What kind of tech company are you these days …
killing them softly
if you can't outdo them, buy them out and strangle them in the privacy of your own home. Extra bonus: kick your competitors like facebook in the nuts.
It would be funny if google were to enter a bidding against facebook, in order to drive up the price, lose the bid, in order to make facebook sink to the bottom with that "investment" round their neck.
Re: killing them softly
Damn, beat me to it...
The 'POP' of the bubble can't be too far away now!
How would Facebook make any usefulness out of the acquisition of a mapping company......real question.
it would mean that it wouldn't have to pay Google to use its map api when people check in around the world, which possible runs £100,000's per annum.
So it could fairly quickly pay for itself.
"fairly quickly"?... even if we take the absolute maximum of your vague guess ("hundreds of thousands" can't be more than £999,999 in my book), it would still take an awful lot of years to "pay for itself" with a pricetag of $1bn+.
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Pics Whisper tracks its users. So we tracked down its LA office. This is what happened next
- Human spacecraft dodge COMET CHUNKS pelting off Mars
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops