back to article Footy lovers hit in Wembley playoff card snatch scam

Provider Ticket Zone is continuing a joint investigation with Brentford Football Club after it emerged that card details used to buy tickets for the League One playoff final last weekend were subsequently used for fraudulent purchases. Yeovil beat Brentford 2-1 to reach The Championship on Sunday, piling on further misery for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Johnston

Shurely shome mishtake

My bank keeps reassuring me that their wonderful 'Verified by Visa' and suchlike schemes are guaranteed to make transactions secure. Curiously, when I mention the risk of Man in middle or that it is to cover their backside and not mine they always go a little quiet.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe this is the same as the M&S card debacle, stand too near a terminal and find your card debited by someone else.

Incidentally, is there a portable device that can read these cards in a queue or crowd and steal the details?

It's not beyond the realms of impossibility it you are able to get close to a back pocket or handbag....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RFID/PayWave cards yes

You can just read them with a RFID reader. The idea is that the card number printed on your card isn't a secret anyway and you are insured for the small amount someone could possibly steal from you

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The idea is that the card number printed on your card isn't a secret anyway

... for anyone who gets their mitts on your card, but not if you carry it in your pocket

and you are insured for the small amount someone could possibly steal from you

...which just means you pay for that insurance. And the need for scanning your statements. And the hassle declaring it really wasn't you despite being in the shop that day. RFID is simply a bad idea, and so is NFC.

3. David Ireland
    FAIL

OK so where is the man in the middle you keep mentioning actually standing? On the 'internet'? You know, that one place you can stand, in the middle, on the internet...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like