back to article FLABBER-JASTED: It's 'jif', NOT '.gif', says man who should know

The internet - and especially the recently-sold content sausage machine Tumblr, epicentre of the animated gif rebirth - is reeling today at the news that when referring to image files formatted as .gifs one should pronounce it "jif". That's according to no less an authority than Steve Wilhite, the man who invented the Graphics …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Joke

Beware of geeks bearing GIFs.

Silver badge

er, I THINK you meant 'Beware of jeeks bearing JIFs'

Mr. White

is jay. a total guvenile.

Anonymous Coward

I was extremely disturbed to discover when Americans pronounce the letter "Z" 'zee,' that is how we in Blighty used to pronounce it. The pronunciation "zed" came to be adopted during the war because when using radio communication the letter "zee" is very often misheard as the letter "C" (pronounced "see" of course). When pronounced "zed" such a mistake is far less likely.

"But, but, that can't be." I spluttered on hearing the truth. "You mean that awful big bird on Sesame Street has been right all along and my kindergarten nurtured sense of superiority is has been built on imploding foundations."

I have been shaken to the core and have yet to recover.

Anonymous Coward

If he had wanted it to sound like Jif he should have spelt it Jif and not Gif. Flaming Americans, they think they invented the English language...

Anonymous Coward

Phonetically Z is pronounced as Zebra not Zeeeeeeeeeeeeebra. Again the Americans hijack a language and claim it as there own.

One point to mention here, when the US voted on a national language there were only three votes away from speaking German. Gott in Himmel!

Headmaster

...and claim it as THEIR own.

Sigh.

Facepalm

JRAPHICS

So the G stands for Jraphics? Makes perfect sense. How about he just gets over it, and just pronounces it like the rest of us do. Here's why rocket scientist inventor guy.

"Did you get the `JIF`?"

"No, we have plenty of peanut butter in the cabinet."

"No, the `JIF` image file I sent you?"

"Oh, yes I did. By the way, what does JIF even stand for?"

"Why GRAPHICS IMAGE FILE my dear."

"Oh, so when we have to say `JIF image file` we are really saying `Graphics Image File Image File`?"

"Yes."

"And that is better or smaller why?"

"That is what the guy who put the J in GRAPHICS wanted."

FAIL

"that is how we in Blighty used to pronounce it"

No it isn't.

explanation here

Anonymous Coward

No, damnit. There was NEVER any such vote to make German the official language. There was, once, way back at the beginning, a vote as to whether to have the laws printed in German in addition to English. That vote was close, but it was voted down and never came up again.

This seems to be a common misconception in Europe. I first heard it from a German, and now from a clueless Brit who oviously lacks a good grasp of his own language - or do "there" and "their" have different meanings in British English than they do in American English?

Anonymous Coward

GIF

It stands for Graphics Interchange Format.

At least make sure your facts are right, otherwise your facepalm is just for yourself.

Stop

"British English than they do in American English"

British English is simply English. You wouldn't say someone speaks "German German" just because there are other deformations of the language in other countries. The fact there are American and other bastardisations of the language doesn't change the fact that English as spoken by the English (read British) is still simply English. When you refer to "English" you are default referring to the English spoken by the English (read British), it's only when you talk about one of the variant bastardisations of the language you need to qualify it with "American" et al.

PJI
Headmaster

Pardon?

"different ... THAN...? Aaaaargh.

As any English speaker knows, it is "different FROM" and "similar TO". Just think, would you say, "X differs FROM Y" or "X differs THAN Y" or "X differs TO Y"? Americans do use a lot of German and Yiddish (a sort of mixed up German plus others) grammar. American is, after all, English spoken by foreigners. As English speakers, we can still speak English or try to.at any rate.

Headmaster

Re: Pardon?

May I just point out that is would actually be pronounced JIF in the English language since the G is followed by a I as in Giraffe.

http://theschoolhouse.us/lessons/lesson53.html

Never look a GIFt horse in the mouth

I always thought it was pronounced 'jif', but I learned I was labouring under a misunderstanding as I was first told it stood for 'General Image Format', so it made sense to me to pronounce the G as J (i.e. Jeneral, not General)

Bronze badge
FAIL

@Anonymous Coward 06:44

No, we didn't invent it. God knows if we had it wouldn't be so full of all the double mean words that sound alike.

As, is such, I have to correct just about everyone that I meet because of that hard G Soft G business when they pronounce my last name.

Thank you for donating such a wonderful language to the world.

Bronze badge
FAIL

@ Martin Re: ...and claim it as THEIR own.

So, do you speak English or The Queen's English? Come off your high horse.

Bronze badge
Joke

@Martin Re: ...and claim it as THEIR own.

And besides, we'll all be speaking Chinese soon anyway. So quit your bitchin'

sdb
Stop

Yes, obviously, because it is a giraffe interchange format.

That makes me giggle (but it takes a real belly laugh to make me jiggle).

"May I just point out that is would actually be pronounced JIF in the English language since the G is followed by a I as in Giraffe."

Yebbut - Brits would refer to someone as "an old git" and USians might "git going" - all with a hard-G. Maybe those are exceptions, but they're the first ones which come to mind. Now, Ginger...

Anonymous Coward

Kindergarten?

A Kindergarten? In the UK? Something smells fishy here...

Wikipedia notes "in American English, its name is 'zee' /ˈziː/, deriving from a late 17th century English dialectal form" and also points out that everybody else in Europe (more or less) uses a similar form. IOW the British version is the original. In this case at any rate - we've all gotten used to the idea of the opposite being true.

The American military used "zed" in their phonetic alphabet for a while:

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq101-1.htm

which may have given rise to the story.

Gold badge
Thumb Up

Re: explanation here

"Cookies, elevator, french fries, truck; don't say 'petrol' or you suck."

Silver badge
Coat

Re: explanation here

"don't say 'petrol' or you suck."

I have heard that for some people, that's the only way they can afford to get petrol these days. Although I also heard that it gives you gas.

Bronze badge

phonetic pronunciation of Z

Anonymous Coward of 06:48 GMT, phonetically, Z is the voiced alveolar fricative; as such, the phonetic pronunciation of Z is neither /zɛd/ (“zed”) nor /ziː/ (“zee”), but simply /z/.

Again the Americans hijack a language and claim it as [their] own? What exactly is the count of languages that we sinister Medioleftpondians have hijacked and claimed as our own, by your reckoning? Are we holding these languages for ransom, demanding Yankgeld to let their lawful owners spell and pronounce words as they see fit?

Regarding your other point, this newly minted novelty nation has never had an official language, although a number of the constituent states do. As Anonymous Coward of 08:15 GMT mostly noted, Pennsylvania in the late 18th century nearly approved having a German translation of its laws printed, as at that time native German speakers represented a significant proportion of that state’s population.

Bronze badge

German German, usw.

Trustme, on the contrary, one would say that someone speaks German German, when it would be necessary to contrast it to other national variants of German. This usage even exists in German itself: try searching for either „deutsches Deutsch“ or „das deutsche Deutsch“ in your preferred search engine.

Thus, one could just as well say that someone speaks English English, for the same purpose of contrast. Consider the section on shall and will in Fowler’s The King’s English. These two words were, and are, completely interchangeable in Scots English, Irish English, US English, and beyond, but had (if not still have) distinct definitions in English English. Now, if you were to repeat that last sentence without the adjective English, so that it ended just in English, the contrast would not be nearly so clear.

Bronze badge

“Americans do use a lot of German and Yiddish grammar.”

PJI, which areas of German and Yiddish grammar do we Yanks use in our variety of English? Nouns always title-cased? Verbs always second in a clause? Perfective verb prefixes? Separable compound verb prefixes punted to the end of a clause? Adverbial particles?

Alert

Re: JRAPHICS

I believe that's "Graphics Interchange Format"

Bronze badge

Also

-ise versus -ize

I'd always assumed that 'ise' was 'correct' and 'ize' was just something the yanks had made up to annoy us.

Seemingly not that simple and the switch from "ize" to "ise" enforced (rather than being seen as a preference to argue over between Oxford and Cambridge) by the EU definition of English..

Go

Re: JRAPHICS

Exactly, G as in Graphics so GIF not JIF. Just because Mr Whatever invented the format doesn't make him a language expert right?! :o)

Silver badge

Gif as in giraffe.. Nothing American about that

No, we didn't invent the English language, but we made it relevant. It's because of us that English is the world's business language. So, in that light, it's color - not colour. Get it right. And, stop replacing words that end in "a" with an "er" sound, and vice versa.

Happy

On a related note the cleaner "JIF" had to be changed to "CIF" back in the 90s.

The reason, Spanish speakers couldn't pronounce Jif.

True story, bro.

Gimp

Sega

At school everyone thought Sega was pronounced "See Ga". Imagine our surprise when Sonic came out and when you turned the game on up flashed the logo and "Say Ga" came out the speakers.

Re: Sega

Oddly I, and everyone else I knew at school, pronounced it as "SayGa". Perhaps pronunciation differences, prior to the release of, Sonic was a regional thing, or my friends and I, pronouncing it correctly, were bigger geeks than we thought?

"or my friends and I, pronouncing it correctly, were bigger geeks than we thought?"

One of the qualifications of being a geek is not being aware that you are.

Headmaster

I get riled at people who think Nike, both the sporting goods manufacturer and the Greek goddess of victory, only has one syllable.

Silver badge

Of course if you're following the same daft rules as elsewhere on the thread, you should be pronouncing it "Serga".

Service Games, and all. Wonder if they still make pinball machines for the US army?

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Nike

Nike has only one syllable.

Niké on the other hand...

Anonymous Coward

Expats to USA might have heard: 'Putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable'?

Ah language. Putting the em-FAAA-sis on the wrong sil-a-BELLLL...

Toe-may-to...Toe-maaaaaa-to... Po-tay-to..Po-taaaa-to

AGR
Trollface

As this particular expat Yank says to his English wife: I'll start saying tomahto when you start saying potahto.

I pronounced it "See Ga" too, but that's because all the TV ads in Australia at the time pronounced it that way too.

Or perhaps you're that much younger and the truth was already out there?

Bronze badge
FAIL

@firefly Re: Sega

Ahh, the consistency of English. So how do you pronounce - LIKE, HIKE, BIKE, PIKE, MIKE, DIKE, TIKE, etc?

Unhappy

@Lallabalalla. Re: Sega

"Or perhaps you're that much younger and the truth was already out there?"

I wish I was, but unfortunately not. Like the OP, I too pre-date the release of Sonic.

Anonymous Coward

The pronunciation 'tom-ah-toe' has a more appropriate sound to it when talking about a fruit... just try saying it in an effeminate accent and you'll see what I mean!

Acronymity...

GIF - Graphics Interchange Format...

Are we all supposed to say 'jraphics' from now on?

Re: Acronymity...

I tried Joojling it but it wasn't clear.

we surrealists pronounce it giraffics.

Silver badge

Do they cross the road at giraffic lights?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums