back to article Syrian hacktivists hijack Telegraph's Facebook, Twitter accounts

Twitter accounts run by the Daily Telegraph were hijacked by pro-Assad hacktivists from the Syrian Electronic Army briefly on Monday evening. The UK broadsheet's Facebook account was also purloined by group in the latest in a growing line of similar attacks against high-profile media outlets including the FT, The Guardian, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. zooooooom
    Thumb Up

"One suspects that it’s not just media organisations who are failing to find the funny side of the Syrian Electronic Army’s hacks, but Twitter also. After all, every time a high profile account gets hacked questions are asked as to whether the micro-blogging site is doing enough to secure the accounts of important world-famous brands."

Good. Finally something that will keep corporations off social networks. :-)

1. philbo

Re: Good. Finally something that will keep corporations off social networks. :-)

This.

Though it's kind of amusing how many companies want a TwitBook profile, yet leave it up to the 17-year-old work experience student to manage their social media...

1. Don Jefe

Re: Good. Finally something that will keep corporations off social networks. :-)

I've never understood what so important about having a Facebook presence for a lot of companies. My last car insurance statement had a 'find us on Facebook' blurb on it. Is anyone 'friends' with their insurance company?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Where I work, I think it's an excuse for the folks in Marketing to spend half the day on FB without facing a reprimand (I'm a techie, so in my case it's theregister)

AC just in case those lovely Marketing people are looking over my shoulder

2. Bumpy Cat
    FAIL

Hey, SEA

Good work! You have the rebels on the back foot! Another sustained electronic offensive and .... er ... they'll check their phone later ...

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

What a waste of time

By some accounts these aren't 'patriotic hackers' like you get in spats between Russia and its neighbours or Japan and China. There was a story that they'd started working from Syrian IP addresses and then the group had moved to one of the Gulf states to avoid internet disruption at home. Sure they're getting a bit of PR, but I doubt any of it is good PR.

Also the message, "look we're so scary we can repeatedly hack Twitter", doesn't really have anyone impressed, or quaking in their boots. I guess the advantage of no long being in Syria (if true) is that the Onion is wrong, and they won't get strung up from lamposts, after the regime's inevitable collapse.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The only problem is…

that the SEC recently authorised companies to publish relevant information via Twitter and co. You could say accident waiting to happen.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: The only problem is…

"You could say accident waiting to happen."

Or you could say "massive fraud opportunity knocks!"

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: The only problem is…

That would be churlish of me. Besides, it's only "opinion" and those are protected by the constitution. Or, this at least the position of the ratings agencies, who were canonised in a similar fashion by the SEC allowing any financial product to be sold that "had a rating". And we know how well that worked: no one wilfully abused the freedom in speech in declaring things like colateralised debt obligations including sub-prime mortgages as being of the highest creditworthiness, did they now?

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Meh

Whatever.

What's the fuss about? It's Twatter - no-one important would have been reading it.

6. Jin

For safe operation of 2-factor authentication

2-factor solutions would be useful only if the user is well aware that

1. the presence of the 2nd factor does not mean that a weaker password will suffice.

and

2. the 2-factor authentication is far less effective in the outdoor environment than in the indoor environment. In the outdoor environment what critically matters is the remembered password, not the 2nd factor .

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like