Feeds

back to article Gay marriage? We'll put a stop to that 'human BUG', says Nintendo

A bug that permitted same-sex marriage in a Nintendo game was a mistake by the developer rather than a victory for equality, we're told. Gamers playing Tomodachi Collection: New Life - the latest version of The Sims-like role-playing game for the 3DS handheld - noticed they had the option of allowing male characters to marry and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Gay Patch

Eadon,

unless you've remembered to initialise isMarriageOK somewhere, your bug fix will bombard users wtih gay sims add ons 'adverisements', but will not fix the bug and will still randomly allow same sex marriage depending on what happens to be in memory at the time, without the user having to fork out for the add-ons.

Trollface

Ew, global variables. Off to the naughty step with you!

Silver badge
Alert

@Eadon - Well, if it's restricted to the scope of the 'true' path of the IF statement, what is the point of even setting it ? - nothing actually uses it in that path, and it'll be forgotten the moment the IF statement goes out of scope. Possibly it won't even be created to be forgotten - the compiler will notice it's pointless and optimise it out.

Probably any normal person reading the pseudocode might have expected sim1.gender and sim2.gender to have been set up when the Sim character objects were created (or possibly modified in the Sim Gender Reassisgnment Clinic - is there such a thing in The Sims?) as that attribute is probably already seen to be controlling other features of the character.

Silver badge
Stop

The code could be within the scope of a class function and the variable might be part of that class, not global. It could also be initialized by default for that class.

Jezuz. Off your high horses code warriors. Nobody's asking you to compile and deploy Eadon's posts.

Silver badge

> The code could be within the scope of a class function

The fix will be the subject of a class action

Bronze badge

"...Jezuz. Off your high horses code warriors. Nobody's asking you to compile and deploy Eadon's posts..."

Thank god.

Regardless, it wouldnt have made it passed peer review anyway. lol

Bronze badge
Headmaster

"Regardless, it wouldnt have made it past peer review anyway. lol"

Fixed that English code for you.

> " it wouldnt have made it passed peer review anyway. lol"

It would have got further than your English, however.

Anonymous Coward

Eadon, are you 13?

The BLAH BLAH BLAH FAIL at all your messages are really annoying.

Happy with all the attention you get?

Silver badge
Headmaster

I'm more upset at the bracketing style. Allman for me please!

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

"I'm more upset at the bracketing style. Allman for me please!"

I had to google the reference, but "Allman" is basically what I do too - probably because my first indented language was Pascal. However it seems far more logical to me to have the braces lining up like that.

You can also egrep '{|}' [filename] to find missing braces.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Braces

Yes, I find too that having braces on their own line means it is easier to comment out or substitute lines during experimentation or testing without messing up the nesting.

Bronze badge

You can also egrep '{|}' [filename] to find missing braces.

Pff. Real programmers would just "grep [{}] filename", and avoid the overhead of egrep. That could add up to a few seconds over the course of a lifetime, if you use this technique frequently.

Bronze badge
Happy

"Pff. Real programmers would just "grep [{}] filename", and avoid the overhead of egrep. "

*blush*

Baaaah, you are right of course

*hands in unix badge*

Silver badge

Love is not a malfunction!

Why can't they leave software in loving, respectful relationships alone?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Love is not a malfunction!

Software has been demonstrating 'unconventional' family arrangements for years...

After all, in John Conway's Life it took three parents of indeterminate sex to make a baby!

Bronze badge
Joke

Re: Love is not a malfunction!

You know what else is shocking? "Animal Crossing". Explanation not required, I'm sure.

Bronze badge

Hmmm Nintendo seem determined to generate as much bad press for themselves as they possibly can at the moment.....

Stop

Re: Sims games should be assumed to be for innocents

Innocents?

Come on, it is gay marriage, it is not going to scar them for life. Perhapse if the concept is shown to people and a younger age they will be less scared of it later on.

Silver badge

Because some of us actually have friends that want to get married but can't because they are LGBT? Even *Microsoft* understands and rejects the concept of sexual discrimination (at least judging by their hiring procedures), so what does that say about you?

Silver badge

Sims games should be assumed to be for innocents, so why is this bad press?

So straight marriage is cute and innocent, and we can shoehorn wedding plotlines into every little girl's show ever, but gay marriage is some big dark evil we should shield children from the knowledge of?

Get fucked.

Anonymous Coward

I'll just add Homophobic arsehole to my list then as well, shall I?

What's more innocent than two men sharing their lives together? It was your mind that inserted something that's somehow not ok.

Anonymous Coward

Gay people living together isn't marriage. Never has been.

There's no reason to deprive them of legal privileges, but it isn't marriage.

Everyone being straight is no problem for the human race. Everyone being gay might be considered a bug.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Yes, because everyone knows "The Gay" is a highly contagious disease that will lead to the extinction of the human race.

In my darker moments, I've often felt that people being compassionate, understanding and accepting is a definite bug in homo sapiens. >:(

Silver badge

Gay people living together isn't marriage. Never has been.

There's no reason to deprive them of legal privileges, but it isn't marriage.

.....Because?

Sorry, bald assertions carry absolutely no weight with me.

Bronze badge

There seems to be some scope for misleading young players, here, if the same-sex marriage is only allowed between male genders, how do they go on to raise children, or is there also an adoption policy in place in the game?

Silver badge
Mushroom

!Sex

Why do they need to have a gender in the first place? And why does there need to be two genders?

Is this thing meant to be a direct reflection of the real world, or an imaginary mystical land where our oppressive human rules don't apply?

Re: !Sex

The fact that some people are male and some female is an "oppressive human rule"?

Anonymous Coward

Human? Human? I'll have you know that I'm actually a very complex shell script. We might not have genders, nor bodies, nor always-working UTF-16 support, but code is people, too!

Anonymous Coward

I seem to remember being given that Archimedes program by a friend... exclamation marks meant something different in those days...

FAIL

<sigh> Which century are we in?

So, the "fix" for not allowing two female characters to marry is to go back to preventing same-sex marriage completely. A slow-clap for the "enlightened" Nintendo.

Silver badge

Same Sex Marrage

I guess Nintendo want to be able to sell to the Tory Party.

Silver badge
Devil

Re: Same Sex Marrage

Really? Whenever there's a gay scandal*, odds on it's a Tory MP.

*Why being gay is viewed as a 'scandal' in this day and age is a whole other topic.

Flame

The same Tory party who have been pushing for equal rights and leader who vocally supports gay marriage? Go back to the Daily Mail, sir.

Trollface

Leader of the Tory Parliamentary Party !== Tory Party

Bronze badge
Devil

Isn't "Same Sex" and "Marriage" a tautology anyway..?

Silver badge
Pint

I see what you did there, and you can have an upvote for it.

Facepalm

@John Colman

"The same Tory party who have been pushing for equal rights and leader who vocally supports gay marriage? Go back to the Daily Mail, sir."

Errr, you seem so out of touch, I would imagine you are the one getting your information from the Daily Mail. Cameron supports gay marriage, however I'm not sure the 'Tory party' are entirely with him on this -

"A "crisis" over same-sex marriage...is threatening to destroy the Tory party, activists say.

In a letter delivered to Downing Street, 34 past and present local Conservative Party chairmen urged the PM to drop the same-sex marriage bill."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22585093

Silver badge

In a letter delivered to Downing Street, 34 past and present local Conservative Party chairmen urged the PM to drop the same-sex marriage bill."

So...no MPs then? And "past and present" implies that a number of these people have retired, and aren't even active in politics.

"In a letter delivered to Downing Street, 34 past and present local Conservative Party chairmen urged the PM to drop the same-sex marriage bill."

One can assume they are very active in politics if they are writing to the Prime Minister, no?

Fair point though. Equal rights is often an area where those that are the loudest are not in the majority, however the news this weekend did feature heavily the gay marriage 'destroying the Tories' story. Also, if several past chairman implies and removal from direct politics, then how about a very senior cabinet minister? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22564023

"[Defence Secretary] Mr Hammond, has been open about his opposition to same-sex marriage"

Anonymous Coward

It is only a scandal because it is a Tory (who thinks it would be a scandal)

Otherwise nobody would care

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Re: I see what you did there

At least someone did. But it seems at least three other readers need to go away and look up the difference between a 'tautology' and an 'oxymoron'...

Bronze badge
WTF?

There's this church in Kansas...

[...] it has told punters that the same-sex marriage was a bug

Now, where have I head that before...?

(Damn...lost my medallion again. This having to work is really cutting into my forum posting time!)

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Only best intentions

Nintendo surely means only the best for its customers, just like they said in response to the critique on their new "let's play" videos policy. In this case, they (unlike most*) take away the burden and disappointment of marriage from L/G couples. Isn't that just wonderful?

Helpmann because he wouldn't find any if it wasn't for Nintendo's regime.

Anonymous Coward

Very informative

Thank you for the helpful link that you posted in the article ( http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ec6j/update/index.html )

:)

Anonymous Coward

Because some of us actually have friends that want to get married but can't because...

...everyone is gay. Oh sorry I was peering into a possible future: only one straight human left. All are generated in incubators to be gay and happy and free with iGoogle! Would make a cool action movie me thinks...

Liberate!

Rather than changing or inserting code bits, best bet might be to simply not buy or download the Nintendo software until they open it up to same-sex women couples as well. Have at you!

This topic is closed for new posts.