back to article Don't Panic! Google FCC filing reveals mystery media device

Google has filed paperwork with the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for a mysterious new media player device, leading to widespread speculation that a successor to the ill-fated Nexus Q may be forthcoming. But if that's true, what's with the Douglas Adams references? The paperwork, published on the FCC's site on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Maybe

It is powered by the infinite improbability drive.

It will allow you to stream high quality, original Hollywood movies, for a reasonable price, available anywhere in the world at the same time.

Pirate

Re: Maybe

In your dreams, son. Only in your dreams.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Maybe

"It will allow you to stream high quality, original Hollywood movies, for a reasonable price, available anywhere in the world at the same time."

No, it will come with a Sirius Cybernetics Corporation GPP that will explain, in appropriately dulcet tones, that while it would normally be delighted to provide such a service for you, it regretfully advises that copyright law prevents it from providing said service in your country, apologises for the inconvenience, and provides you with a substitute that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the Hollywood movie you were looking for.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

H=Hitchhiker

840=a harmonic of 42 by some creative math (8, 4 in the 2nd position [4*2], 0 to indicate the position of the factor in the string)

No doubt it will come with at app, the icon for which will be a thumb, to flag down passing spaceships.

(Yes, yes, I know, I'm trying too hard. My only excuse is it's Monday.)

As a possible explanation for the significance of the number 42 see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mhkYbznBk

Watch 48.00 to 49.15

Mr R.P. Feynman, you've got to love him.

As an aside I've had the "Don't Panic" wallpaper on my S2 for nearly 2yrs,

Yes I do have a life,

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Or it's an electronic guidebook

Connected to the HHG offices via ... something improbable?

Bronze badge

And next

H840 revision 2 would shorten nicely to "Hate 42".

"– though, in true Wikipedia fashion, that "wisdom" often proved fairly dubious."

What? Is El Reg saying we are not mostly harmless?

Anonymous Coward

Well, if Google were to sell its own take on the HHGG

I for one would buy it - but only if it had "Don't Panic" on the cover, and contained the kind of apocryphal misinformation that would make Wikipedia look like the Encyclopaedia Britannica.

But

Will it come with a towel?

A new Google Mantra?

No longer "Don't Be Evil", now just "SHARE AND ENJOY", perhaps? (Only the top half, of course)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums