Feeds

back to article US boffin builds 32-way Raspberry Pi cluster

Boise University PhD candidate Joshua Kiepert has built a 32-way Beowulf cluster from Raspberry Pis. Kiepert says his research focuses on “developing a novel data sharing system for wireless sensor networks to facilitate in-network collaborative processing of sensor data.” To study that field Kipert figured he would need a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: This Cluster is so POWERFUL

I'd like to think there is something... something in this world that you can encounter which doesn't cause you to foam at the mouth about Windows.

It’s not looking too good so far. Are you like this when browsing restaurant menus?

WTF?

Wow. Your hate of MS/Windows really consumes you.

Silver badge
Holmes

MSFT breeds Haters

MSFT is not a benevolent institution and is fair game for haters.

Gold badge
Thumb Up

Re: MSFT breeds Haters

"MSFT is not a benevolent institution and is fair game for haters."

True.

And that's before you delve into their their history and business methods.

Then you really learn how to hate them.

JDX
Gold badge

Does Windows support 32 cores?

What on earth has Windows got to do with it? Your apparent prejudice against Windows aside, it is possible to build a fairly capable Windows machine for 3-400 pounds. OK, it won't play the latest games well (but, neither would a Linux machine costing the same), but it will be a perfectly good workhorse.

Anyway, this guy has done exactly what the Pi was designed to enable. He has found a problem (him needing a cheap cluster) and sat down and and worked out a way to use to Pi to do that..

Silver badge

@JDX

It supports 256 cores.

Silver badge
Meh

@John Smith 19

The history doesn't really matter, especially with new evils like Google the marketing giant and Apple the religious cult out there, but there are certainly times when trying to decipher their bizarre licensing system can make you hate Microsoft.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Who mentioned Windows?

Silver badge

Re: Who mentioned Windows?

Eadon did.

It's what he does.

Re: @JDX

As far as I can see Windows 8 supports 1 physical CPU unless you've forked out for the "pro" version which supports 2. Not that either run on the RPi...

In any case this article isn't about Windows - one of the most fantastic things about Linux starting to come of age a decade and a bit ago was the way that we (university research group) could suddenly double or triple the amount of computing power for the same amount of cash by not having to pay for Windows or (more usually) overpriced Sun hardware.

The Pi is probably about as powerful as some of the older Sun boxes we had to use!

Coat

"Are you like this when browsing restaurant menus?"

Only when they are behind a window...

I'm sorry. My coat's already on.

Silver badge

Re: MSFT breeds Haters Does Windows support 32 cores?

You may have to buy another 31 licences

Silver badge

Re: MSFT breeds Haters Does Windows support 32 cores?

But it's almost impossible to be sure :(

Bronze badge

"Eadon did. It's what he does."

and he

absolutely

will

not

stop.

ergo:- Eadon is a machine.

Gold badge
Thumb Up

"Only when they are behind a window..."

Quality work.

Bronze badge
Devil

"It's what he does."

It's _all_ he does. That's why he's the finest Microsoft salesman alive.

Bronze badge
Linux

"ergo:- Eadon is a machine."

He is the Tuxinator!

Bronze badge
Trollface

Eadon did.

It's what he does.

Yeah, he must really like Windows a lot to bring it up so often!

Oh, wait ...

wim

If the restaurant is in a cellar he might have a chance.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

I don't understand what Eadon is even trying to say here.

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

This Cluster is so POWERFUL that it can run Windows.

If downvotes counted you'd qualify for a wooden, termite infested badge by now :)

Anonymous Coward

Erm, the price listed was for a Xeon machine, which is a high end workstation for people doing very intensive development tasks.

Try firing up some sort of AutoCAD package on the Pi cluster and see how far you get.

A tool is designed for a specific job, in the case of a Xeon workstation that task is to be productive and earn lots of money. The cost of a such a machine is easily dwarfed by the earning potential of a productive designer using it.

Bronze badge
Windows

@Eadon

Windows RT is customised to run on ARM processors, so I can't see why they can't run it given the chance (Come on MS allow RT to be installed on whatever we like).

Back as I was at Intel we were playing around with a 32 core windows 7 machine (hyper-threaded to 64) and to my surprise it was far more easier to get running than I thought. It can do 256 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/products/system-requirements) but never tried...

Any who, amazing stuff they've done with the Pi's... Looks like an awesome way for a PHD student to get side-tracked! :D

Anonymous Coward

@Shagbag - Are you one of Eadon's other IDs, or a separate person who just happens to seem to have exactly the same opinion?

Silver badge

"Eadon did. It's what he does."

I pity the bloke that cleans the glass aperture covers on Eadon's house. Every time he calls, hoping just to wipe some muck off glass, and be paid a tenner for doing so, he gets into some horrifying circular debate that has nothing to do with what he came for, and involves Eadon speaking to him in randomly capitalised speech.

Silver badge
Megaphone

So Eadon...

...as someone suggested a few days ago, when are you going to let the folks at The Register come visit your workplace to see the Linux Nirvana that you must have created?

I'm sure many of us here would love to see how you have managed to cultivate the perfect open source infrastructure and also to hear from the staff how they get on with it all etc.

It truly would be invaluable to all of us here to see it as well.

Then we could truly hail you as the genius you think you are. I think you owe it to the wonders of open source to do it.

Register...can you make this dream interview happen?

I'm sure others here will agree? If you want this then vote this post up!

Silver badge

I think he has a trained penguin to do the W*ND*WS

Anonymous Coward

Re: So Eadon...

Yeah, come on Eadon.

Tell us about your awesomely secure blog.

Thumb Up

@gazzton Re: This Cluster is so POWERFUL

Wow. Your hate of MS/Windows really consumes you.

That's a good point. Just as Eadon is saying that Windoze fritters away the power in a good cluster, so his preoccupation fritters away his capacity for interesting comment.

Now, back to the amusing cluster...

In what world is "Windows 8" the only choice for Windows?

Windows Server 2012 supports 64 physical processors, with up to 640 cores supported. I expect the next version to go even higher with upcoming Intel processors scaling up the core-counts.

All that being said... this was about a cluster, not a multi-threaded or multi-core computer... they are quite different in their goals and design.

"Eadon is a machine"

I could write Eadon in fifty lines of Perl.

And run him on a Raspberry Pi.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Re: This Button is how POWERFUL?

I wonder how many characters the up/downvote buttons support? I've never seen it hit three digits yet and it's soo close! I like to think that upon hitting 100 downvotes on a single post that the associated account and posts disappear; ancient Egyptian erasure style.

Silver badge
Joke

The blog is probably running on a Windows server that was so full of FAIL it simply couldn't be rendered secure.

Bronze badge

Re: "Eadon is a machine"

" I could write Eadon in fifty lines of Perl"

I could write one too. I am just stuck procrastinating on whether to go Silverlight or the whole hog with ActiveX.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: ergo:- Eadon is a machine.

Sent from the future to warn us!

(At least you can be sure he doesn't run Windows.)

Anonymous Coward

@Don Jefe

Not according to the type headers, unless somebody's insane enough to be running Apache under Windows.

Then again, anyone who would do that is basically begging for it.

Silver badge
Joke

Eadon is a machine.

I bet I know what OS he isn't running.

Re: @David14

Er... Windows Server 2012 runs on ARM now? Though as the software cost would dwarf the hardware costs for zero gain I'm not sure what the point of this conversation is anyhow...

Silver badge
Meh

Hmmm no response, that's a shame.

Maybe he's shy or actually works in PC World?

Happy

Re: This Button is how POWERFUL?

I just gave him his 101st downvote!

No - he is actually the Linux fundamentalist, usr-bin-local...

Silver badge

@Coward

> @Shagbag - Are you one of Eadon's other IDs, or a separate person who just happens to seem to have exactly the same opinion?

Lots of people hate Windows, Eadon doesn't have a monopoly on it.

I hate Window's because IMHO its s*&t.

The people I've met that hate it most are Windows support engineers. The Linux crowd only think they hate Windows, they tend to hate it in a remote, abstract way, but many of the people who have to work with it hate it even more, because they know through years of bitter experience its s*&t and they have to support it knowing it is. But FTW if computers actually worked, none of us would have a job.

Thumb Up

Just sitting down

and getting the thing to work is awesomme. Big Thumbs Up Kiepert

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.