Feeds

back to article Microsoft conceals job ad in Bing homepage

Microsoft are looking for a new Bing developer - but you'll need to be pretty smart to apply. Oh, and you can only use Internet Explorer, which rules a fair number of applicants out. Visitors to the Bing homepage are currently greeted with a weird blue environment of some sort as the background to the search bar. But rich …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

On the rare occasion that I use Explorer ...

... I don't do bing, and my system reports that I am using Konqueror.

Re: On the rare occasion that I use Explorer ...

So is everybody running Google Chrome - the code came from KDE's browser...

Anonymous Coward

"... I don't do bing, and my system reports that I am using Konqueror."

Yeah, we care.

FAIL

... how really stupid of Microsoft to integrate such a "Drive-by infection" look-a-like URL in their portal site ... Microsoft should be advised not to employ these kind of click-nerds at all ... bad example ... one dimensional cleverness ... this just shows, again, how little aware Microsoft is of what's going on out there ...

Silver badge

@AC 0949 (was: Re: On the rare occasion that I use Explorer ...)

Who is "we", Kemosabe?

Silver badge
Windows

Test 37

<click>

FAIL

Fail assumptions here

A person having this window open is no more likely to want to work for Microsoft than the next person smacking their face against the desk wondering why Microsoft have their own implementation of an html standard and wondering wtf is going on.

Open letter to Microsoft!!!!

The clue is the word standard, rather than playing silly buggers, read the dictionary

Screw you and your Bing experience Microsoft, you make our live so much more difficult than it needs to be

Silver badge

Re: Fail assumptions here

I second the motion. I wish Microsoft would just make up their minds already

IE0-6 "standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards"

IE7-9 "Fine fine we've complied with your 'standards' I hope your happy, now pages don't need to be made especially to work with IE.

IE 10 "Yeah so we like your standards, but we've decided to add some of our own... What do you mean they aren't really standards if only we were involved in making them? Fuck you Im a dragon!"

It seems like Microsoft are trying to reverse the tide of what happened to them before. Originally they didn't comply with standards and did things their own way, people migrated away because all sites displayed in chrome / opera / firefox / everything but IE. Now they're standards compliant they're adding in their own stuff again so that pages made using these new IE standards work for IE but won't work elsewhere, so you're forced to use IE.

I've already experienced this problem with a few microsoft sites. Visit with IE works fine, visit with any other browser and you're met with strange 'quirks'

Thumb Down

Mrs Bert works for an organisation which uses hotmail/outlook .com as it's corporate email system. Sadly this only works with IE. At least I only need one shortcut for IE, which points directly to this site. Arrogant shites.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

It works fine in Chrome

At least spread some honest FUD if you're going to do it

Got to say - I'm not a big outlook.com fan - but when I do use it, it's on Firefox or Chromium on Ubuntu and it works just fine, as does our corporate Outlook web app

I am guessing a fair few people have never had to design websites twice over in order to get them working.

Once for IE and Once for the rest of the worlds browsers.

One thing that Google and Apple have in common is a working browser. If even these two can coexist then why cant Microsoft?

The point to my post being that I feel its ironic that someone who is forced to look at that screen where the job advert is hidden is probably not there for fun and working for Microsoft is probably not on their agenda

Unhappy

It didn't work on my Chome. I'll try again. If it needs tech support by comments on El Reg though, it's still not that great.

JDX
Gold badge

IE 10 "Yeah so we like your standards, but we've decided to add some of our own

Just like Google, Mozilla, and everyone else then.

Facepalm

> I am guessing a fair few people have never had to design websites twice over in order to get them working.

So you've not heard of "Responsive Design" then? That's the latest let's have it three ways technique.

Still, the good news is that there's no Microsoft in the mobile world.

But I thought Chrome and Safari run the same engine, so of course sites will rendered nearly identical, right?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Rich rewards...... OH YEAH!!!

Actually laughed at an Eadon post!!!

Must be Friday :)

Flame

Give it a fucking rest Eadon. I can't be arsed to knock up a greasemonkey script just to blot out your repetitive, puerile and immature comments. Spammers have a more varied lexicon.

HAVING TO END IN UPPERCASE EVERYTIME (AND ICON MUST BE RED) AS I'M A FUCKING DICK

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon

I seriously wish you had put the joke icon on your post. In the context of an intended joke it is pretty good and made me laugh pretty quickly. Unfortunately due to previous comments you have made it can also be read in the context of another unnecessary attack on MS.

But still kudo's for making me laugh on a friday

JDX
Gold badge

I can't be arsed to knock up a greasemonkey script just to blot out your comments

So why not use the built-in "ignore commentard" functionality on the site then?

Anonymous Coward

I think that when a comment reaches 5 more downvotes than it has upvotes, it should automatically be hidden.

Not deleted, just hidden. Basically saying, "Children, be quiet when the grown-ups are talking".

(I also appreciate that this probably guarantees this comment reaching 5 more down than up votes.....)

Silver badge
Happy

Didn't you know that EADON is nothing more than a 'bot' programmed to dis MS at every opportunity. Sadly the devs have yet to fix a bug in their code that capitalises the last line of every post it makes.

Still, for me BING == BLING and no, I'm not from Essex.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: I can't be arsed to knock up a greasemonkey script just to blot out your comments

"So why not use the built-in "ignore commentard" functionality on the site then?"

For some reason, available to only "gold" rated posters (and maybe 'silver' - not sure on that)

Silver badge

@JDX (was: Re: I can't be arsed to knock up a greasemonkey script just to blot out your comments)

"So why not use the built-in "ignore commentard" functionality on the site then?"

Eh? It ain't exactly rocket science ... It's because we aren't all "gold" commentards, the only commantards who have the option to "ignore commentard" outside of the world-wide offices of ElReg. Are you really that ignorant about how ElReg works? And you're a "gold commentard"? More proof that "icons", "badges" and "thumbs" are bloody fucking useless as currently implemented.

Not that I'd ignore a commentard, mind. Wetware works much better than code.

As a side-note ... one wonders why ElReg's elite "gold" commentards feel a need to run away & hide from the commentardary of us lowly blue-collar commentards. Sad, in a way, don't you think?

http://bit.ly/ZZayNx+

88 Clicks as of 9am this morning... most of whom probably come from readers of this article.

Re: http://bit.ly/ZZayNx+

And I bet the first 36 were the devs and marketing monkeys checking to see if it worked properly/show off to friends what they had come up with.

Silver badge

Re: 88 Clicks as of 9am this morning...

You think they did this because they thought it would get a massive number of respondents?

Silver badge
Happy

Re: 88 Clicks as of 9am this morning...

...probably after one particular bing-head who would have all of the hoops enabled to jump through.

Are they after getting Gates back?

Silver badge
Facepalm

Re: http://bit.ly/ZZayNx+

That was the bit that got my hackles up right away. A bit.ly URL-shortener link claiming to be a Microsoft job ad?

Yeah, right. Pull the other one, it plays Jingle Bells. There's a reason I've blocked all those sketchy URL shorteners at the firewall; something to do with I don't want to spend my days picking 0-day trojans out of the office PCs.

xyz
FAIL

Bing has a homepage team?

Who knew...and what do they do all day? Do they have a single monkey at the back end going the actual searches then? It's like something from the IT Crowd..."we've developed this great new search engine...here's the home page!"

Assembled managers..."Wow!"

"yeah, just type in your search string and click the button and it goes to Google for the results."

Oh and a Bing in Scotland means a slag heap...nuff said.

Must say, I think I'm beginning to develop Eadon-itis here.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: hardly...

it's:

MUST SAY, I THINK I'M BEGINNING TO DEVELOP EADON-ITIS HERE.

Shirley...

Smart developers != IE users

:/

Silver badge

Re: Shirley...

But if you are using IE, and it's defaulting to debug mode, then it's probably not you main browser.

Silver badge

Re: Smarter developers...

... test on all popular browsers.

Silver badge

Re: Shirley...

Or... you're a member of Anonymous, trolling for exploitable sites.

MS just might find it's hiring someone that'll exploit them for 'Teh LULZ'. That'll be... interesting.

FAIL

Innovative job advert fail of the highest order.

Bronze badge
Pint

But . . .

. . . it got a mention on a tech website like this, and maybe others. That's hardly a fail.

FAIL

Would you like to debug this page?

If I saw the most annoying IE dialog appear while landing on the front page of bing.com I would simply turn around and head off to Google. MS really don't have a clue do they? As I think has been pointed out here already, anyone worth their salt as a developer wouldn't be using IE in the first place....

MASSIVE fail!

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Would you like to debug this page?

You'd only see it if you're a developer, you muppet. It's great when people rush in to show how clever they are and trip over their own shoelaces...

Silver badge
Happy

Re: It's great when people rush in to show how clever they are and trip over their own shoelaces...

It's cruel to laugh at the afflicted- leave MS developers alone.

Thumb Down

@The Original Steve

Give your ill manners a rest.

Silver badge

That's knowing your audience.

And some cheap targeted job advertising.

Linux

yes, other companies hide job ads in http headers. Yes, some weird people look at that.

For example:

$ GET -Used http://icanhazip.com/

GET http://icanhazip.com/

User-Agent: lwp-request/5.827 libwww-perl/5.833

200 OK

Connection: close

Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 07:23:51 GMT

Server: nginx

Content-Length: 14

Content-Type: text/plain

Client-Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 07:23:51 GMT

Client-Peer: 198.101.241.44:80

Client-Response-Num: 1

X-ICANHAZNODE: dfw.icanhazip.com

X-RTFM: Learn about this site at http://rkrh.kr/2us and don't abuse the service

X-YOU-SHOULD-APPLY-FOR-A-JOB: If you're reading this, apply here: http://rackertalent.com/

(icanhazip.com is a site that lets you query your external ip from a command prompt, sometimes handy).

Facepalm

Perhaps they could hire someone...

... to work out why Microsoft's Report Viewer, when embedded within Microsoft Sharepoint, wouldn't work when viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer?

Chrome worked fine....

My My, such an outpouring of smugness and bitterness over a quite clever way to advertise a job for a large software company. Err why? So someone who is running IE in debug mode finds the job advert and goes for it, good luck to them. It is certainly one way to get some of the wheat out of the chaff.

And as for it being Microsoft, so what! There is nothing like having a couple of Multinationals on your CV when you move in to contracting. MS would be a good start.

I think it would be a great opportunity for someone starting out. I don't get the arrogance of a lot of you.

Silver badge
Happy

re: I don't get the arrogance of a lot of you.

Yeah, someone like you wouldn't....

@alexmcm

> My My, such an outpouring of smugness and bitterness

Don't worry - stick around here and you'll soon grow out of it.

Thumb Up

Re: re: I don't get the arrogance of a lot of you.

@sabroni I have upvoted you. Don't make me regret it.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @alexmcm @Mr. Spock

"Don't worry - stick around here and you'll soon grow out of it."

Can't tell for sure but that is a joke, right?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.