Feeds

back to article Steve JOBS finally DEFEATS the PC - from BEYOND THE GRAVE

So it's official - the lifelong battle of legendary Apple CEO Steve Jobs is finally won, now that he has toppled the PC platform from beyond the grave: well, in the UK, at least. During Q1 this year more slablets were shipped into consumer and business channels than PCs - that's notebooks AND desktops COMBINED. Beancounting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

No surprise

It's not really much of a shock, how many people need a fully functioning PC as opposed to a portable media consumption and communication device? Add a bunch of useful apps and browser-based interaction and I reckon that's about most peoples needs satisfied.

Re: No surprise

Agreed. At work I have a mega-PC with lots of cores/GPUs/RAM/gerbils etc, but at home I am now finding I never need more than a tablet. It's a new wave of devices that aren't actually overpriced shit.

Re: No surprise

I have a tablet sat on my coffee table that I find myself using picking up very frequently for fairly standard "light internet use", reading e-mail, looking up film reviews, ordering takeaway etc... Its so much easier to just pick up a tablet and turn it off standby than having to walk across the room and wait for the PC to boot up.

In reality about half the time I find myself giving up on these fairly straightforward tasks and using the PC anyway through sheer frustration at the effort of typing in password / card numbers, or some website with a dodgey drop down menu / JavaScript combo box that doesn't work properly without a mouse (I'm looking at you National Rail!). The one that really gets me is takeaway ordering - the tablet should be ideal for this but the ordering systems are so difficult to use that I generally just give up and use the PC anyway.

Although many people don't "need" a full PC for these sorts of things, a lot of the time its just so much quicker and easier to do these simple tasks on a PC with a proper keyboard and mouse. The only way I can see this changing is if the average tablet also has a keyboard and mouse, which is kind of cheating really.

Colour me shocked

So the vast majority of people prefer to have a mobile internet enabled device that they can use on their couch rather than have a desktop PC that does far more than they need? Well, who would have thunk it.

Of course it's all Microsoft's fault for releasing Windows 8. *sarcasm*

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge

Re: Colour me shocked

Nobody asks you your opinion, but you seem to give it regardless. Endlessly.

How many downvotes DO you haev?

Yes, a 25% contribution if you look at actual sales.

Anonymous Coward

"How many downvotes DO you haev?"

I didn't know life was graded based on internet votes.

This is what you get from the Facebook generation. >:/

Anyway, for *once* Eadon has it right: Windows 8 is dooming PC vendors as consumers stay away from upgrading to it in droves. The downvotes were given by stupidity, nobody would have downvoted the same general opinion just under 4 short years ago if the sentence read "Of course it's all Microsoft's fault for releasing Vista" as everyone knew it was true.

A lot of PC sales, as they are in other markets of consumers goods, are driven by a known path: first adopters then upgraders. The first adopters grab the new product as soon as it is available, needing or simply desiring to be on the 'cutting edge'. After the first adopters get their feet bloodied, err, wet, they go out to World+dog and chat up the product. The upgraders then jump on board, wish to experience the new good's 'upgrades' and using various reasonings to acquire the upgrade: replacing old hardware, replacing damaged hardware, replacing due to boredom with current, etc.

The problem is that a poor release of a new product's upgrade breaks the first adopters part of the equation and, therefore, you do not get the 'critical mass' of word-of-mouth to create enough desire in the upgraders. This was Vista's, and now is Windows 8's, problem. No one is truly hyping Windows 8 as a 'necessary' upgrade, unlike Windows XP followed by Windows 7. No one in the industry is really saying "You're still running Windows 98?! Why aren't you on XP!?" = "You're still running Windows 7?! Why aren't you on Windows 8!?"

Just isn't happening. So the PC market has burst - everyone is just fine at the level they are currently at. "Why spend money upgrading something I already have, especially when the upgrade is really a 'downgrade'", people are saying to themselves.

So buying is down through the floor. Oh, they're still spending, but spending on the hyped product: tablets and smartphones. PC's just have no 'mojo' right now - unglamorous, almost no new ideas to entice customers with pretty-shiny and with a lamentable OS that no one really loves as well! Bleh! "BORING!"

I'll make a reasonable prediction: It will take 6 to 9 months to rebound but the new Windows 8.1 release that brings back the desktop, and de-emphasizes touchscreens, will cause a upward bounce in sales (by Christmas, IF the channel can get replaced with enough AFFORDABLE Win8.1 product to replace the 8.0 on the shelves).

WTF?

Hmm.

If Microsoft had released Windows 8, complete with Start button, Full (and only) Desktop and NO metro whatsoever they'd have been lampooned for not keeping up with technology - and PC shipments would STILL decline.

This has got nothing to do with Windows 8 - despite what Eadon might want everyone to think. MS could have done nothing for the past two years and kept releasing Windows 7 service packs and the numbers would be no different (in my opinion worse, but then, I like Windows 8).

Anonymous Coward

Eadon, you ask men in the street what they think about Microsoft? Blimey!

Silver badge
Linux

The real problem is that a 5 year old PC is still respectable.

A 5 year old tablet or video streamer is a joke. Plus, the market isn't saturated yet.

The ARM device market is about where PCs were 20 years ago. In a world fixated on the newest thing and only the current quarter, a lot of ink gets dedicated to the flavor of the moment. Meanwhile, even mainframes happily chug along doing pretty much what they've always done.

Bronze badge

@AC 14:15

Eadon, you ask men in the street what they think about Microsoft? Blimey!

Yes he does, and look they tell him that they have not used it but believe the here-say!

From Eadons post: They tell me that they are hearing bad things about it. Note: they are hearing. Not after trying it.

These type of people that do not try before commenting (probably like Eadon as I am sure he would not touch the MS software from hell) are not worth bothering with. If someone told them person X is a witch they would help burn them without ever testing it themselves.

Thumb Up

JEDIDIAH has it right.

PC's are a saturated, mature market, and people do not need to upgrade as often as they once did. When tablets have been around longer and every man and his dog already has one, and the market has matured to a point where a 2+ year old model is still perfectly servicable, then we will see the same reduction in sales in the tablet market as we are seeing in PCs.

Anonymous Coward

I don't believe that. Many companies were STILL on the upgrade path to WIndows 7 before they got the rug 'pulled out' from under them by the immediate release of Windows 8.

So now upgrading companies have an unfortunate choice:

a) throw away the past 1 to 2 years of their Windows 7 upgrade planning and start testing for Windows 8;

b) continue with their Windows 7 migration path...when they can get/find a supplier still shipping the Windows 7 'downgrade' option

Now, even if you are not a company, you are still dealing with the same mindset as above if even considering new hardware. 'Should I get Windows 8, try to find Windows 7 or simply sit on my hands and wait'. Fact of thought, because *I* certainly had them just 4 months ago. I decided I certainly was NOT going to Windows 8 but all the major laptop companies wanted to push me on Win8; instead, I jumped on a per-owned out-of-lease Windows 7 machine while I could get my hands on one before they all dried up. Stunning deal, too - a good move, and I think I'm looking for more to upgrade another machine in the same manner.

If the companies want to push Win8 down my throat, I'll be happy to look for other alternatives thank you very much. I think many potential PC buyers are doing exactly that - at the shops I have visited, Win8 desktop PC's sit untouched and unloved, you can hear the crickets in the showroom from the lack of interested shoppers (I've gone 3 times in the past 2 months). People look as they walk by, maybe try out the touchsceen interface (as I did), say "Meh" (as I did), and walk away. In the Big Box store, laptop shoppers are going to Apple rather than deal with the unknown of Win8 and the touchscreen interface (at least that is what it seemed - 1 shopper at the Win8 tables and a group at the Apple display, I stayed for a while).

Silver badge

Eadon's right, dudes. Everyone knew that PC sales were declining for all the known reasons (current ones are good enough to chug along for years, tablets substitute casual use) but Windows 8 managed to make the sales decline steeper. Even IDC knows it.

MS really shot its foot this time.

"That's causation, not correlation."

Is it?

Anonymous Coward

Sitting here on the train reading this on an hp elitepad, having read my company mail (2 minutes to set up), I am (unusually for me, anyway) sitting on a fence.

For M$ entrenched, the market will give them devices like the elitepad, and I have to say that the more I use it the more I like it. And it works with Windows 8, actually better for work than the iPad that sits unused in my desk drawer at work.

What's dead? I wouldn't put any money into makers of keyboards and mice, that's for sure...

Silver badge

" I wouldn't put any money into makers of keyboards and mice, that's for sure..."

Really? Have you tried coding a 100,000 line application on a tablet with a touch screen keyboard lately?

It may well be that mice might disappear as touch screens become more prevalent, but I think the humble keyboard will be around for a while yet.

A good compromise from my perspective as a programmer, 3D modeller and graphic designer, who uses multiple monitors, would be a dual fondleslab workstation with two 24" slabs (the size of my monitors) with one sitting where the keyboard normally sits, at a 45 degree angle like an art desk, and one up in front acting as a monitor. In 3D modelling mode, the art-desk slab would be the tri-view modelling interface, and the monitor slab would be the render display; in programming mode, the desk slab would become a nice big keyboard and the monitor slab would be the IDE, and so forth.

That sort of thing I could work with, perhaps. But I don't see anything like that happening soon. And trying to do what I do with a desktop, on a pissy little 7" - 10" fondleslab, ain't gonna happen.

Thumb Down

Prognostication

As a result, consumers continued to opt for competitively priced tablets, particularly the new 7-inch devices.

Seven inch devices, eh? The ones Mr Jobs said had too small a screen to be of any possible use - a claim repeated by his fan club at every possible opportunity, often using apps on their iPhones to broadcast their (received) opinions.

Thumb Down

Re: Prognostication

Couple of points .

1) Apple created the market , with the likes of you saying it was a toy and would never take off, sounds like a woman's sanitary product etc. etc. ...sssshhhh there's a good lad.

2) People get the 7" BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER! , The bigger screen gives a better experience, but if it was a choice between the two at the same price, who do you think would win. you utter utter cretin.

Now get back to crying over your galaxy note, while wishing you could afford a proper iPad you deluded little man

Bronze badge

It's not the size

It's how you use it.

WTF?

Good lordy lord. Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side.

Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't say so. It is the response of someone who is irritated by asinine regtard comments. I read the first post and thought "Ian sounds like a typical ignorant fandroid. Comes out with utter shite to feel better about his own technology choices. How pathetic."

Give me a 10" Galaxy Note over a glorified app launcher with the wrong shaped screen any day. Even if the note cost more.

Thumb Down

My wife has not used her PC since November when I got her a Nexus 7. That thing goes with her everywhere as it's an ideal size. But I can tell you this - there's no way she'd be lugging a 10" tablet in her bag.

Anonymous Coward

@El_Fev

The convenience of the 7" format should not be underestimated - my wife has gone off to her Uni's summer school with my 7" Nook HD in preference to her 10" Galaxy Tab 2. In every way other than screen res the Tab2 is a better product, so the form factor must be the reason for her preference.

Aside: Last year after listening to her talk of what she wanted, I took her to the big JL in Oxford Street. A 7" tablet looked like a good fit, and the iPad mini had just been released. So she would be able to compare the iPad mini against Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, and Galaxy Tab 7". I thought she would go for the iPad mini, but she preferred the 10" Tab2.

Bronze badge
Stop

" People get the 7" BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER! "

BS. People get the 7" because it's portable and easier to hold than the 10". The 7" fits in my coat or back pocket. It's also not an ergonomic design disaster like the 10" (especially 10" with metal case that has edges to create cut marks), so my wrist doesn't feel like it's going to break after 10 minutes of use.

i bought a 7" because it was smaller for reading and carrying around. If i wanted a weighty lump to carry around i would have bought a laptop....or an ipad.

But a tablet is for quick jobs, anything more like ordering, typing chatting is a chore. PCs still have their place and will recover but it is a little slow at the moment. There is no new hardware for gamers, businesses are downsizing so don't need any and alot of people are buying the newest toys e.g tablets.

The real question is will anyone buy another tablet?

Silver badge
Linux

> People get the 7" BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER! , The bigger screen gives a better experience,

No. The 7" screen gives you a better experience depending on your use case.

Contrary to popular fascist opinion, people are different. One size really does not fit all. There is room (nay desire) for more than one option in the market. Not everyone wants the same black Model-T.

Inherently cheaper devices only serve as a "gateway drug" to clue people in that they don't need to be a slave to one particular brand.

Silver badge
Linux

The missus was an iFan early adopter. She had her iPad1 probably before a lot of the fanboys here even ever saw one. Once she saw my 7" Tab2 she was immediately hooked and dumped all of her Apple products. While it was true that it was an impulse buy because of it's price, the price tag had nothing to do with the larger device with the fruity logo being immediately DUMPED.

Apple (and fanboys) showed open contempt for end users with a shred of independent thought or creativity and was soundly proven wrong.

Paris Hilton

Well its true when given a woman has a choice between 7" and 10" .... sorry couldn't resist :) lol

Your lying , your missus dumped off 500 pounds worth of iPad for a smaller Tab 2. pull the other one its got bells on you lying git!

Again your lying , you do not putt 7" tablet in your back pocket, it barley fits in a coat pocket. I know because I have a kindle touch, and that barely fits in my trouser pocket and that's only because I'm massive! Over 5 Inches goes in a bag, and if you have problems holding an ipad with your wrist I suggest you go to a gym once in a while! sweet jesus

I have a 7" tablet because IT FITS IN MY POCKET YOU UTTER UTTER CRETIN. As I've said before around here, a 10" tablet requires some kind of bag which will just as easily carry a laptop which obviates a 10" tablet.

Jobs was an industrial designer in the same way as Colin and fucking Justin are interior designers.

Silver badge
Happy

Do you mean interior designers or decorators? Just curious.

Pint

Wow.

Chill.

Joke

Re: It's not the size

Correct, the magic is in the way the wand is waved, not how large it is...

Happy

Hello paulll

Please Sir don't get your tits in a tangle over this.

It is only some bits of shiny metal that you play with to pass the time.

Don't worry-be Happy.

TTFN

Happy

@elderlybloke - Don't worry, my tits are decidely non-tangled. The shouty bit was parodying el_fev, the rest was casual observation with a bit of casual swearing chucked-in 'cos it's fun.

Anonymous Coward

Not Fascists...

...it's the commies screaming that 7" screen is the best and everyone else is stupid for disagreeing with them.

Silver badge
Linux

> Your lying , your missus dumped off 500 pounds worth of iPad for a smaller Tab 2.

Like I said. Not everyone wants the same black Model-T.

Contrary to the opinion of the fascists-in-denial, one size does not fit all.

Apple is not "inevitable". We don't have to turn the iPad into the next MS-DOS.

Anonymous Coward

My 7" tablet-Nexus 7- fits into the front pocket on my jeans. Even while I'm wearing them. Not particularly comfy, but doesnt stop me walking round Tesco, work, etc. Same with my Galaxy Note- that's actually perfectly pocket sized.

And as you brought up your size, I've got an entirely reasonable 36-inch waist. So no parachute-like pockets here.

A 10" tablet would be thoroughly impractical if you want to carry it, though it's probably nicer to use around the house.

Re: Erosion of PC market could be a death spiral

A lot of truth in there but a lot of balls too. MS make money every time an Android device is shipped so they could have quite a healthy revenue stream just from that. I agree thought that PC sales falling even a little, never mind the tumble they are taking, means that it won't be worth the time and effort of OEMs to build them.

Bod
Bronze badge
WTF?

Quicken? !

Last time you used any form of PC or saw what "professionals" or businesses actually use was...?

Silver badge
Linux

> Quicken? !

>

> Last time you used any form of PC or saw what "professionals" or businesses actually use was...?

Quickbooks is very much entrenched in the small business sector. Accountants use it and you need to be compatible with your accountant. It's the corporate equivalent of Quicken. The claim was poorly stated but essentially true.

If not Quickbooks then some similar alternative will be used and likely require something other than a Tivo user interface.

Hybrids

You have to wonder what these hybrid devices count as. I am actually quite keen on something like a Asus Vivopad smart though it would need significantly more HDD space to replace my work machine.

Thumb Up

Re: Hybrids

I thought that too.

I *need* a new tablet as my Samsung 8.9 is going to a sprog :)

I want one with a 10+ " screen, preferably at least fullHD and definitely one with an OS with true multi-usewr support.

That leaves me with Windows 8 (or possibly Linux on a Nexus 10, but then there is no warranty).

So I am toying with the idea of the likes of the Acer W700 or Lenovo Yoga 13. I have until September to decide :)

Re: Hybrids

doesn't the android update 4.2 add multi user support on tablets?

Still - I'd love a proper linux on a tablet.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.