Feeds

back to article Dark blue side of the Force used to quell Star Wars nerd clash

It was a conflict that didn't take place in a galaxy far, far away, but a little known corner of Norwich University. Organisers of a sci-fi convention held in Alan Partridge's home town had to use the power of the (police) force after a barney erupted between two groups of furious nerds. Officers were called after the treasurer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Strange Coincedence

Our El Reg hack shares the same family name as one of those star wars characters, mmmmhhhhh, something smells fishy here.

Is your wifes maiden name Fischer by any chance ?

Swinging back to the dark side.

The 63 year old man was dressed as which character ? Don't let me guess Obi Wan....

These are not the nerds...

...you are looking for.

Silver badge

Re: These are not the nerds...

Nevertheless they can feel the anger rising within themselves!

Coat

Re: These are not the nerds...

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to scuffling.

MrT
Bronze badge

"Furious nerds"...

... made me laugh. Am now wondering how that might look on ThinkGeek or Spreadshirt products... :-)

Happy

Barsteward

Beat me to it :)

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Slow news day...?

This story was on the BBC news site yesterday and it's a total storm-in-a-teacup piece of nonsense.

Would it have got any coverage if it was one of the many incidents such as in pubs where a couple of voices get raised and the Police come along and say "ok, just calm down" and nothing more comes of it? No, probaly not, but because it's "oh look, let's laugh at the geeks who dress up in the funny outfits", suddenly it's worth a few column inches.

Big deal.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Slow news day...?

Can you provide a scale of what kinds of topic you deem worthy of your attention? Though wasting time on the whinge in the first place makes your judgement seem questionable ...

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge

Nobody said it's big news, but it is very funny :)

Silver badge

@AC - Re: Slow news day...?

I'll answer that as soon as you tell me on what scale this is any form of news at all.

Despite the best efforts of some sub-editor to make this sound exciting ("quell", "furious", "barney", "gatecrash" and even "tense-stand off"!), this is a complete non-story and again I point out that had it not been for the "geeks in funny costumes" aspect it most likely would never have seen the light of day.

Bronze badge

Re: @AC - Slow news day...?

It's not news. But what tabloid journo hack could possibly overlook the opportunity to use variations of "'The Force' called in to break up angry Star Wars fans" headlines?

Anonymous Coward

"I'll answer that as soon as you tell me on what scale this is any form of news at all."

I hadn't heard about it. Therefore by definition it's news. Over to you.

As for your second paragraph, things aren't a non-story just because you're not interested. They're just something *you* aren't interested in. Well, only to try being pompous and use a clichéd title. I look forward to seeing your scale of worthiness. No doubt the editor will be grateful for your help too :)

Bronze badge

Indeed, the argument that had this been a scuffle in a pub that it wouldn't of made publication is flawed.

Such scuffles do make news, just in relevant publications such as small newspapers local to the incident.

In this case the incident relates to geeky sci-fi types so The Register has quite good reason for posting it, given the nature of the majority of their readership.

Not sure why the BBC bothered though.

Silver badge

@AC - In which case, you will no doubt be enthralled to know that my neighbour's cat has come back after apparently going missing for a couple of days...

Anonymous Coward

"@AC - In which case, you will no doubt be enthralled to know that my neighbour's cat has come back after apparently going missing for a couple of days..."

Quit stalling, Graham - keep your word and give us the scale!

Facepalm

*Looks up*. Yes, it's in Bootnotes, all right. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

WTF?

I was just reading this on the Daily Mash: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/science-fiction-fans-now-harder-than-football-fans-2013051668958 and wondering what on Earth they were satirising. Now I know... the mind boggles.

Bronze badge

Norwich eh?

Says it all really

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Norwich eh?

NFN - Normal for Norfolk...

Where's the tractor icon when you need it?

Silver badge

An Alan Partridge moment

Ahhhh ..... nerdyboys.

Silver badge
Go

Re: An Alan Partridge moment

"Scum, sub-human scum"

Next thing you know, they'll be daubing "cock piss partridge" on the side of a car.

Silver badge

Re: An Alan Partridge moment

But was a dead cow dropped on anyone?

Anonymous Coward

Norwich University?

A Very Peculiar Practice?

Silver badge

Re: Norwich University?

UEA has never been known as Norwich University. Ever.

It's just happens to be in Norwich, which is quite a nice city for those who've never been there (i.e. most people who are detrimental about it)

(Biased UEA Grad)

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Norwich University? @ James Hughes 1

Are you serious, Norwich is a nice city.

Oh dear boyo, Norwich is actually fine city according to there biased advertising slogans, Nice just doesn't cut the colemans!

And as I actually live in the city of mustard and turkey I can say on record that it is much like any other city except it doesn't have great roads or practical rail connections and the airport is a bit shit.

It's the sort of city that you design in Sim-city when you don't have much money.

(Biased Norwich resident)*

* Not local though, my genes come from the north!

Alien

Bounty Hunter Count

This year, the convention reunited all four bounty hounters from the Star Wars film.

Old age is clearly getting to me as I can't quite resolve that number - the 2 Fetts and Zam Wessel are the obvious 3 that spring to mind, but then in Ep5 there's a whole bunch like IG-88 and Bossk. Someone please put me out of my misery here...

Re: Bounty Hunter Count

Greedo?

Facepalm

Aaah, that's the one /facepalm. So that's 4 who do something besides just standing there; are they saying that they had all 4 actors (including whoever was behind the Greedo mask) at this convention then? Not bad going (if true).

Silver badge
Coat

During the brawl, Greedo got hit first!

Coat

But when they viewed the remastered CCTV footage it appeared that he threw a weak mis-aimed punch first...

Anonymous Coward

But did Lucas change the story and add some unnecessary CGI to the remastered CCTV footage?

Coat

As my uBuntu trainer once said:-

'Use the fork, nuked'

M7S
Bronze badge

All four bounty hunters?

There's a few more than that, even on the bridge of the Star Destroyer in Episode V.

Bronze badge
Coat

Norwich University

In this case, should have been a " university in Norwich" as the event was at the University of East Anglia (established 1960s and famous for its writing course) and not the "Norwich University of the Arts" (an amalgam of the former Norwich Art College etc)

Happy

Life copies art?

Sounds more like the an episode of a certain US comedy?

Silver badge

Re: Life copies art?

Sounds like a scene from the film Fanboys (2009), in which there is a scuffle between some Star Wars fans and some Trekkies ("It's Trekkers!")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboys_(film)

Thank God they were Star Wars geeks

Being on the receiving end of even a replica Bat'leth would be pretty ugly. oO

Silver badge

Re: Thank God they were Star Wars geeks

I know a guy who can attest to that. Or rather I met him once. When he broke into my house. While I was rearranging my collection of sharp weaponry. Which includes a 1/2 sized replica Bat'leth.

nerds

Anonymous Coward

What chance have our youth got when even a 63 year old is still acting like a hormonal teenager!

W O W, my so called peers are such a let down.

Bronze badge
WTF?

As a life-long DW fan, can I ask...

WTF is Graham Cole?!!

Alien

Re: As a life-long DW fan, can I ask...

He's played a Cyberman in "Earthshock" & "The Five Doctors"; The Melkur in "The Keeper of Traken" and PC Tony Stamp in The Bill. Also Countdown

Silver badge

Geeks act like kids...

... In other news...

OK that's unfair, but it doesn't do the Sci-fi community any favours when fringe radicals start holy wars.

http://dragonpress.tumbolian.org/Captain%20Huggies2.html

"The Avatar looks over his shoulder and sees several Babylon 5 fans dressed up as Narn, Centauri, and members of Psi Corps"

"Before them, a massive battle is raging. Narn, Human, and Minbari, fight the Centauri as if they were fighting for the future of the universe. They all swarm about one store, refusing to give even an inch of ground up"

Happy

I thought the comments on this story would be worth reading

and they were...

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: hats off to the police

erm...the locals have 6 fingers on one hand and wookies have paws?

FAIL

Re: hats off to the police

Not so, my young padawan. They have four fingers and an opposing thumb. How else would they grip a hydrospanner correctly?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee

Trollface

When Nerds Collide

Sort of a weak interaction, isn't it?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.