back to article Pirate Bay cofounder to run for European Parliament

Peter Sunde, one of four cofounders of notorious BitTorrent search site The Pirate Bay, says he plans to run in next year's European Parliament elections, despite his impending incarceration for copyright violation. Sunde, along with partners Carl Lundström, Frederik Neij, and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, were convicted of " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Would get my vote

Silver badge
Meh

Mine too, just to stick it to the arseh*les who run the European Union.

Anonymous Coward

Mine too, now who is the idiot who keeps using derogatory terms like freetards to mean a digital revolution. I am sure the word RETARD comes to mind for those using such stupid terms.

Bronze badge
Happy

Pot abandons kettle.

"...but he apparently wants nothing to do with politics."

Nice! Maybe the writer used to write for a different ilk!

Silver badge

Politics...

Are you a self obsessed, morally dubious idiot? Are you incapable of doing any real work? We may have a job for you.

Silver badge

The European Parliament

I have been a few times for a variety of reasons, I can't think of any other occasions on which that I have ever met such a large set of numties in one place..

As for Sunde, I am absolutely convinced that he would do any worse, if nothing else Bittorrent is well thought out, resilient and capable of surviving through the worst storms.

I will give him my vote.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: The European Parliament

If what you say is true then he will fit right in within the Parliament.

Silver badge

Re: I know full well the reaction daring to call Sunde - and Piratebay

Downvoted.

Not because the overall description of The Pirate Bay is wrong, but because you chose to libel my political beliefs (which are contrary to The Pirate Bay continuing to suborn copyright infringements) by including them in the middle of your rant.

Go

EU?

I can't imagine how could any part of EU's government get worse than it already is without people starting riots, so yeah, it could use some fresh breeze, even if it's from someone related to providing easy access to not-so-legal services.

Anonymous Coward

Good luck to him

Don't expect a pirate majority in any legislature any time soon, but having a few in various places will make other parties start thinking twice about what their electorates think about them selling laws to Big Media in exchange for better coverage as they seem to have done too much in the past.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Good luck to him

I'd have thought what would actually make most mainstream politicians concerned about changing copyright would be them being told by a meaningful number of their electorate that copyright was significant on their personal lists of priorities. Somehow at the moment I'm not sure very many people would actually bring copyright up as an issue when politicians go canvassing.

Even out of the people who would *vote* for a pirate party candidate, I wonder how many would actually talk to a politician about the need for copyright changes if one knocked on their door, putting forward an adult argument for their position?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Good luck to him

Oh please, get a fucking clue already, they've done NOTHING illegal, the judge was bought by corporate interests. That does not mean that what they've done is wrong, at all. Now fuck off outta here.

Is he the neo Nazi one?

Or was that a different one?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Is he the neo Nazi one?

A simple search would have answered that question. Clearly the answer is no, but then you just wanted to throw about FUD and weren't interested in the answer

FAIL

Re: Is he the neo Nazi one?

Oh really? Tell me, how long have you been reading my mind and what steps have you taken to ensure compliance with the Data Protection Principles?

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Freetard

Yup. I've always been of the opinion that it specifically refers to those whose argument basically boils down to; "I can get this for free, therefore any rules saying that I shouldn't be able to get it for free are wrong.".

Anonymous Coward

Re: Freetard

It is a one sided derogatory word that needs to stop being thrown around, even the el reg article writers look stupid for using it.

You hate the idea of people downloading do you? Which political party does this site align with? I would guess the tories for the anti freedom insults.

pirate party?

This article makes it sounds like he'll be running as an independent. I just did a little more research and see that he has joined the Finnish pirate party.

Anonymous Coward

Re: pirate party?

Do they have any policies which touch on more mainstream issues

eg the usual

greater/less EU integration

more/less environmental solutions

banking reform

admission of Turkey/East European states to the EU

or are they more a single purpose party around copyright "reform"?

Anonymous Coward

Re: pirate party?

Being a single purpose party is good enough for me right now considering that all the three main parties suck, always have sucked, and always will suck.

Anonymous Coward

Double jeopardy?

This could be good. They could whack both a pirate and a sleezy politician all with one prison sentence of 20 years.

Anonymous Coward

Finally!

A politician who isn't afraid to openly tell you he plans to break the law!

Anonymous Coward

This could be good. They could whack both a pirate and a sleezy politician all with one prison sentence of 20 years.

You sir, are an idiot of the highest order.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums