Feeds

back to article India's 2020 vision: a $10 BEELION software industry

India’s all-powerful IT body NASSCOM wants the country’s burgeoning software industry to generate $10bn in revenue by 2020, in a move designed to "rejuvenate" India’s sprawling IT industry. The body’s newly unveiled 2020 plan will require India’s software market to grow its revenues almost five-fold from the estimated $2.2bn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Flame

Aid

And the UK would still be giving them aid, even in 2020, if there wasn't such a brouhaha because of the recession which has raised the issue to the forefront of the public's attention.

The DfID should be scrapped all together. It is not fit for purpose. In fact it has no purpose any more at all. Any emergency aid can be supplied by the armed forces who are better organized than the useless people in DfID.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Mushroom

Re: Aid

Wealthy countries? Have you ever been to India? I have. Here's a flavour of what to expect:

Extreme, grinding poverty. Crippled beggars in the street, people who live in tents by the side of the road, children running from car to car in the gridlocked, potholed roads attempting to make eye contact so they can beg for money. We don't have anything like this, not even in the darkest, poorest places in the UK. For us, poverty is not having a DVD player. For them, it's sending your children to beg in the street. There is no comparison.

Yes, it has an IT industry. The people who work for it are, by comparison to their compatriots, fabulously wealthy. When I was there my driver was paid 4000 rupees a month - roughly £55. The most junior people I was hiring were going to earn between 600K a year - about £600 a month.

How do I know this? I've worked there for the IT industry in India.

So don't give me that shit about them being a wealthy country. Go find an article about Windows to whine about.

Anonymous Coward

Well that depends what you mean by an IT industry. No major product or visionary to come from there.

I have worked with many Indian IT developers across many projects in the UK and did not come across someone very gifted. They are paid their home country salary of £7000 plus £3600 for accommodation here in the UK. That is £10,600 compared with £16,000 for a local software developer of similar standard.

The media has created a false idea that Indian Programmers are the best in the world and can do unbelievable things. This is totally incorrect and you will have better chance finding a computing visionary in the western world.

Anonymous Coward

>>> This baffles me too, WTF are we sending aid to these wealthy nations?

We send them aid so they'll buy our weapons. Except India currently prefers to buy them from the French.

India should of course be spending less on guns and bombs and more on tackling poverty.

@ km123

> That is £10,600 compared with £16,000 for a local software developer of similar standard.

Where the hell did you find a developer in the UK for £16,000? Could they program? Could they even read?

Anonymous Coward

The disaprity between rich and poor in India is huge, considering the country has a large software industry, a space programme and nuclear weapons you would have thought there was enough money around to narrow the rich/poor divide if they wanted to..

It does seem like they have no interest in doing this whilst western countries are coughing up money to support the poorest in their society. I wouldn't mind helping them if they helped the poorest themselves so I question why we are giving this money to them.

P.S. don't think much of their software engineers either, they just throw more people at the problem and hope rather than understanding what is wrong and fixing it (software fixes by lottery).

Devil

In 2020....

95% of the Indian population will still be living in poverty as the new middle class step over the destitute on their way to work.

Wealth distribution is a Western burden it seems. Outsourcing transfers national wealth from the poor of the West to the wealthy of the East, think about it before you sign that contract.

The new colonials

And a lot of these 'new middle class' are actually foreign-born ethnic Indians who've relocated to India in order to exploit the locals. Here, one of them writes of her educated, articulate friends and her dinner parties without the slightest sense of irony.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-15520933

Bee Lion?

That's got to be tricky.

Transformation?

Why do they need transformation? Isn't the rippoff-other-nations-con model working anymore?

This topic is closed for new posts.